Hey. This is my uh... first release of any kind. It's an EP called lost. It's kind of a mix of 90's alternative and melodic hardcore, I think.

Just a bit of background, I'm 13 I've been playing guitar for about 11 months now, and writing for probably about 10 months. I'm not sure whether this stuff is good or not, but give it a quick listen. This was recorded for January 7-8 in my basement and living room. I know the vocals may be a bit off not in pitch but they might sound awkward tone wise, maybe? I'm still working on them.

It's mixed sorta quietly master-wise so you may need to turn you're volume up.

(P.S. the mixing sucks, I am looking more for critique on songwriting and some advice on mixing better.)

So uh... here it is.

Click this thing to see the EP.

Thanks for listening if you did, and I drew the cover art, it's a man who's half finished and half still a sketch.

BTW I am currently the only member of Thank You For The Tragedy. It's kinda hard to find bandmates when you live in a town that's musically retarded.
Last edited by HaveSomeGlue at Jan 10, 2012,
You've really got good ideas and your voice definitely sounds a bit like Kurt Cobain. It seems I keep finding artists today on this site that remind me of my band or my early recordings! You're another one! Good job all in all, the first track, Much The Same is impressive in terms of songwriting. The mixing is honestly, pretty bad. But it seems like you know that. I like the hook. Your ideas are honestly AMAZING. Now that I've finished listening to it, I can hear the songs how I think they really should sound. But it doesn't matter what I think! I'd personally love to mix this for you! If you could send me a message asking me for my email, I'd love to mix down these tracks for you. Here's some of my work, I've been writing, recording and mixing for a few years.

http://soundcloud.com/colourfulsound/sets/the-grid-1
Quote by FenderMayer
You've really got good ideas and your voice definitely sounds a bit like Kurt Cobain. It seems I keep finding artists today on this site that remind me of my band or my early recordings! You're another one! Good job all in all, the first track, Much The Same is impressive in terms of songwriting. The mixing is honestly, pretty bad. But it seems like you know that. I like the hook. Your ideas are honestly AMAZING. Now that I've finished listening to it, I can hear the songs how I think they really should sound. But it doesn't matter what I think! I'd personally love to mix this for you! If you could send me a message asking me for my email, I'd love to mix down these tracks for you. Here's some of my work, I've been writing, recording and mixing for a few years.

http://soundcloud.com/colourfulsound/sets/the-grid-1

Yeah, I know the mixing sucks :p first time doing anything mixing wise that's not just me singing and playing guitar through the amp. Much The Same is probably the worst mixing on the EP though.

I appreciate your offer very much but for right now I kinda want to stay away from anything recording wise for a while and work on songwriting, plus I was kinda stupid and recorded the guitar + vocals all in one track because it was more comfortable for me. But thanks a lot!

I also appreciate the critique, its something I'm not used to so I was very nervous uploading the topic, and thanks for saying I'm good at writing, I uh... focus on that way too much.
Currently listening to Much The Same. The vocal is great, but a bit awkward. Not because of the vocal itself, but because of the lack of anything backing it besides the barely audible guitar. Which is good, but there's way too much treble and gain on it. If it's the only instrument you have, that's fine, but boost a bit of the mid so it sounds fuller. One thing I noticed is that this could be REALLY good. I mean REALLY, REALLY good. Your voice sounds great, and the song itself is also very good. The chords and melody are amazingly good. It's incredibly unfortunate that you don't have the resources to take this to its full potential, but keep working at it and you'll get there. You've got something really good here.

Now on Us vs. Them. This song seriuosly suffers from production problems. More guitar, less voice As good as it is, that guitar needs to be boosted up in the mix, seriously. This song also sounds like it could be great. The lyrics, from what I can pick out, are also pretty good. Two songs in and I'm convinced I've find this generation's Kurt Cobain

Stigmata. Good song so far, not quite as good as the other two, but still solid. You definitely have a knack for songwriting. Some of the transitions are abit awkward, but that could be credited to the lack of a rhythm section. Honestly, I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of lost Nirvana songs I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Nirvana's a great band, but this is almost an exact replica of them. Carbon copies are rarely good things. But I feel like this is different. You're tapping into some good here. With proper equipment, gear, and band, this could go somewhere.

Standing On Broken Glass. It's nice to hear the guitar clearly finally. The mix here is actually fine. The tone of acoustic is nice, matches your voice. Honestly, I don't what else can be said at this point. Great song, great voice. The acoustic is really nice. I'd suggest recording all your songs with the acoustic instead, as demos. That's what Kurt did, I think. It works really well. Bring in the electric when there's a band behind it, or at least put it up higher in the mix. This song is great, just like the others.

You have something here. Something real good. If you're really only 13 (you don't sound 13), then you have a bright future ahead of you, that's for sure If you have time, do you mind checking out mine? And maybe another song on there, it'd be greatly appreciated https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509419
Thanks for the crit on mine.

Much the Same- Yeah as mentioned your voice is quite similar to Cobain's and you do sound older than what you are. Good song, pretty well put together etc. The scream at around 2:00 was cool.

Us v Them- The guitar is a bit quiet in the mix, yeah you'd probably be better off recording guitar and vocals separately so you can mix them to the correct levels. It's a good song again though.

Stigmata- Some bass and drums could help these, but I appreciate that's not possible for you right now. When you do find someone to play them, these will sound really cool! Again, it's a very Nirvana like song quite nice.

Standing on Broken Glass- The acoustic guitar sounds nice here, and is the right level in the mix. When there's just vocals and guitar, acoustic is usually the better choice as it gives a fuller sound; electric normally needs a band behind it to sound it's best. Like this song again, probably my second favourite after Much the Same

Overall, you have some good stuff there, the song writing is certainly impressive. Considering you've been playing less than a year, excellent effort! Keep it up.
Quote by IommiPage
Currently listening to Much The Same. The vocal is great, but a bit awkward. Not because of the vocal itself, but because of the lack of anything backing it besides the barely audible guitar. Which is good, but there's way too much treble and gain on it. If it's the only instrument you have, that's fine, but boost a bit of the mid so it sounds fuller. One thing I noticed is that this could be REALLY good. I mean REALLY, REALLY good. Your voice sounds great, and the song itself is also very good. The chords and melody are amazingly good. It's incredibly unfortunate that you don't have the resources to take this to its full potential, but keep working at it and you'll get there. You've got something really good here.

Now on Us vs. Them. This song seriuosly suffers from production problems. More guitar, less voice As good as it is, that guitar needs to be boosted up in the mix, seriously. This song also sounds like it could be great. The lyrics, from what I can pick out, are also pretty good. Two songs in and I'm convinced I've find this generation's Kurt Cobain

Stigmata. Good song so far, not quite as good as the other two, but still solid. You definitely have a knack for songwriting. Some of the transitions are abit awkward, but that could be credited to the lack of a rhythm section. Honestly, I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of lost Nirvana songs I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Nirvana's a great band, but this is almost an exact replica of them. Carbon copies are rarely good things. But I feel like this is different. You're tapping into some good here. With proper equipment, gear, and band, this could go somewhere.

Standing On Broken Glass. It's nice to hear the guitar clearly finally. The mix here is actually fine. The tone of acoustic is nice, matches your voice. Honestly, I don't what else can be said at this point. Great song, great voice. The acoustic is really nice. I'd suggest recording all your songs with the acoustic instead, as demos. That's what Kurt did, I think. It works really well. Bring in the electric when there's a band behind it, or at least put it up higher in the mix. This song is great, just like the others.

You have something here. Something real good. If you're really only 13 (you don't sound 13), then you have a bright future ahead of you, that's for sure If you have time, do you mind checking out mine? And maybe another song on there, it'd be greatly appreciated https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509419

Thanks a lot 8D. I appreciate the advice on mixing (you can tell I need it), and I know I don't sound 13 (my guitar teacher thought I was old enough to drive :p). Over the summer of seventh grade my voice took a giant drop in pitch, as I used to have a high squeaky voice, leading to some of the most . I think I'm probably gonna work on production a lot. In Standing on Broken Glass it's definitely the best mixing wise, since I didn't have to do much (it's an acoustic electric and that's it :P). I have an earlier version of Us vs. Them on soundcloud that it lower quality but mixed better since it was recorded straight from the amp to the mic and not-as-good lyrics (don't flow as well) here.

Thanks for the crit on mine. Much the Same- Yeah as mentioned your voice is quite similar to Cobain's and you do sound older than what you are. Good song, pretty well put together etc. The scream at around 2:00 was cool. Us v Them- The guitar is a bit quiet in the mix, yeah you'd probably be better off recording guitar and vocals separately so you can mix them to the correct levels. It's a good song again though. Stigmata- Some bass and drums could help these, but I appreciate that's not possible for you right now. When you do find someone to play them, these will sound really cool! Again, it's a very Nirvana like song quite nice. Standing on Broken Glass- The acoustic guitar sounds nice here, and is the right level in the mix. When there's just vocals and guitar, acoustic is usually the better choice as it gives a fuller sound; electric normally needs a band behind it to sound it's best. Like this song again, probably my second favourite after Much the Same Overall, you have some good stuff there, the song writing is certainly impressive. Considering you've been playing less than a year, excellent effort! Keep it up.

Thanks 8D. I'll try to find a band but it might be hard because I'm really out of place: a punk rock/alt kid stuck with a preppy white suburban town with musical awareness of close to 0. I found an $80 bass and bought it very recently though, so that'll possibly show up.

Also, no problem (on yours). I find something indescribably awesome about mixing pirates and metal.

So thanks for the pointers, praise and critique people.
The distortion ruins everything in my opinion. Learn how to mix, get some drums and bass and it will probably sound alot better. And i must say that the chord progression u use on Much the Same is like the most generic chord progression ever.
Quote by tottsk1
The distortion ruins everything in my opinion. Learn how to mix, get some drums and bass and it will probably sound alot better. And i must say that the chord progression u use on Much the Same is like the most generic chord progression ever.

Thanks?

Judging by the feedback it is on my checklist to learn to mix better :P

..But don't be hating on distortion. I mean, I know it doesn't sound good in this but don't just single out distortion in general, its a great contribution to rock music.
Last edited by HaveSomeGlue at Jan 10, 2012,