Hi all

Condition - New or used but preferably used so i can get more for my buck

Budget - Anywhere between about £100 and £250. May go as high a £300-£320

Use - I mainly plan on using it as a bedroom practice amp but i would like to be loud enough to play a small gig and at the same time maintain a good tone. I would also like to be very compatible with pedals inlcuding wah, delay, reverb etc

Current amp - I currently use a line 6 spider 4. I think it does the job as a good all round practice amp but it's completely none compatible with pedals and it can't reach a decent volume without sounding harsh

Current guitar - I plan on using this amp with my epiphone les paul fitted with dimarzio super distortion pickups in the bridge

Music style and tonal preference - I play a mixture of softer cleaner music and highly distorted music. I mainly play iron maiden, joe satriani and gary moore so im looking for something that has a fairly smooth distortion. I would really like it to be able to nail the gary moore high gain blues style tone, even if i have to use a few pedals to get it.

think of this tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnCTTitn8o&feature=related

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTwGAdTHrg&feature=related

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPlCp-eko7I

Other notes - I think i would prefer a combo amp. Im not going to be playing massive gigs any time soon and i haven't got the money for a cab.

I have the chance to get a peavey bandit 112 for £120 - £150 but im not sure if i could get better for that kinda money.

As far as the wah peddle goes. I'm just looking for one that can come close to surfing with the alien and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPlCp-eko7I

I'm looking forward to your responses and thank you so much in advance.
you may try looking toward a fender frontman 212. they are not too pricey and they have excellent tone and volume. you can play loud without getting to harsh and play soft without loosing integrity of sound with your fx pedals.
A frontman 212 would be a reasonable suggestion.
Also, a fender superchamp XD may suit? It's got a tube in it somewhere so it's warm (I have the smaller 5 watt vibrochamp and it's amazing)
Your budget range, such as your music style, is large enought to puzzle us all.
On one hand, you need an amp able to cope with the wonderful cleans of your guitar: I'm thinking of a Fender Blues Junior or Fender Pro Junior, of a Vox Night Train or a Peavey ValveKing 112.
But, on the other hand, you need hi-gain distortion, and this comes from a different kind of an amp: an Orange Dual Terror, perhaps, a Peavey 6150+ or something. Most of them are out of your budget or difficult to find as second hands. A solution might be, IMHO, a normal gain amp (for the cleans) and a good distortion pedal, like a Metal Muff from EHX (which is reasonably cheap as new, and quite easy to find as a second hand).
As for the wahs, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed to find out that most common wahs (such as the CryBaby from Dunlop) are very far from the original wahs of the '70s. The only good wahs, again IMHO, are two models from Vox: the V 846 HW (that is for "hand wired", and you guess the price), and V 847, the closest to the original design of the '70s in terms of components. Both of them are way out of your budget and, since they are relatively new releases, they are hard to find as second hands at decent prices.
All in all, given your tight budget and your excellent guitar, I'd vote for a second hand Peavey ValveKing 112 and a Vox V 845 wah, which is much cheaper but still preserves some of the old vibe. Good luck!
I'd say, get a Valveking. Then get it modded according to the Valveking thread. You might not even need a new speaker if you do the mods I did. It sounds pretty damn good anyway. (the components cost about $5). I'll leave the wah for someone else to suggest.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
buy some 2nd hand tube combo like crate v33/ 50 or peavey VK 112 which has very good clean sound and some overdrive/distorion pedal

line6 is modeler tranzistor combo and how you said it did good job, but!
If you want level up you must buy tube amp
Guitar : Jackson DK2M snow white beauty
Combo : AXL rapture 150R
Strings : Ernie Ball 2222
pickups : Jazz III XL
style ? MAIDEN !
Nah, the bandit's not that good. It's sort of okay, but not more than that. The Valveking has a lot of potential, and since it's a valve amp, it's rather simple to mod.

Might be, depending on the reserve price.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by AtaBorMan
Nah, the bandit's not that good. It's sort of okay, but not more than that. The Valveking has a lot of potential, and since it's a valve amp, it's rather simple to mod.

Might be, depending on the reserve price.

What would be a good price to pay ?
£200-300? I don't know, I don't live in the UK.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Solid state amps, like the Bandit, have good cleans with much headroom, but turn out to be awful when distorted. No mater how advanced they are, they suffer from the so-called "hard clipping": they play clean up to a level, then suddenly begin to distort heavily. Plus the fact that, being cheaper from the very beginning, very few amp makers put good speakers in SS combos. I've thought of the ValveKing as an excellent compromise and a tool you can subsequently modify if you wish. Have a look on ebay to check for second-hand prices. Pay attention at the valves' shape: if the amp is older than 2-3 years, it must have new sets of valves. I guess, given the fact you seem to live in the UK, 250-300 GBP would be a reasonable price for a decent VK. Then you might think of a wah.
I like my spider III 75w, it's better than the peavys i think. I would totally recommend the Kirk Hammett Cry baby sig, the best one out there i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REbID9fY6WE here's a demo I did of it and two other wahs
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Im looking at the peavey vypyr tube 120 and tube 120 head at the moment. What are these amps like ?
Send a message to 311SOZOwhatever and ask him. He's got one and he's good at recommending amps!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Do you think the peavey vypyr 120 would be too loud for bedroom use. There is the tube 60 but its only £20 cheaper
i agree with slashfan on the super champ xd. i work in guitar and amp sales and the super champ is a two tube amp that is amazing. it has 16 different voice settings and then it has some efx setting you can do on the clean side. well worth the money you will spend on it and you can combo it to cabnet if you desired.
I have the chance to get a jet city 50 watt combo for cheap. What are these amps like ?
Jet city is the best option out of those, as it is full tube, but for your uses, I'd suggest to go for the 20 watt version instead, because you don't have to crank it as much as a 50 watt amp to get the same results, therefore it's better for what you want it to do. They sound pretty beasty, I have to say, and rob chappers used it for his "sound like satriani for under £1000".
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by dtmaiden
Jet city is the best option out of those, as it is full tube, but for your uses, I'd suggest to go for the 20 watt version instead, because you don't have to crank it as much as a 50 watt amp to get the same results, therefore it's better for what you want it to do. They sound pretty beasty, I have to say, and rob chappers used it for his "sound like satriani for under £1000".

Oh yes ive seen that vid. I have the chance to get a 50watt one including footswitch for £100