I usually play my 6 string jackson with 10's tuned down half a step to Eb. I want to record a tune with the guitar dropped 2 and a half steps. I' assuming I can use the existing strings minus the high E and just add a 60 guage for the low B?
I have a tremol-no so the bridge will be kept in position.
My question is can this tuning damage or bend the neck or will it be ok?
Quote by Rmonix
I usually play my 6 string jackson with 10's tuned down half a step to Eb. I want to record a tune with the guitar dropped 2 and a half steps. I' assuming I can use the existing strings minus the high E and just add a 60 guage for the low B?
I have a tremol-no so the bridge will be kept in position.
My question is can this tuning damage or bend the neck or will it be ok?

It'd be ok... not sure why you'd want to though... strings will be a floppin...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
your best bet to get a good sound is to get a guitar with an extended scale length, like 26'' or maybe 27". the strings won't be floppy and there will be a good amount of tension. You would probably need to get bigger strings so it doesn't sound thin, but you don't to get the fattest strings there is or it will probably sound muddy. Isn't 2 and half steps down like having a 7 string? Five Finger Death punch tunes down to that but I think you'd be better off with an extended scale or 7 string.

But yes it won't damage your guitar and it will tune down that low
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Ok Cheers. I dont see how the strings will be flopping. They will all be at their normal pitch bar the lowest string which will be of a bigger guage.
Yeah I thought a 7 string would be the answer. It's just for a one off tune tho.
Quote by Rmonix
Ok Cheers. I dont see how the strings will be flopping. They will all be at there normal pitch bar the lowest string which will be of a bigger guage.
Yeah I thought a 7 string would be the answer. It's just for a one off tune tho.

The strings flop because of less tension. Like when when you stretch a rubber band to make it longer and pluck the rubber band, it will buzz in a higher tone. when you release the rubber band and pluck it, its lower and moves a lot wider, same thing with guitar strings.
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
You'd be well off getting at LEAST a 13-56 pack of strings, maybe heavier on the bottom.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by M_16A
The strings flop because of less tension. Like when when you stretch a rubber band to make it longer and pluck the rubber band, it will buzz in a higher tone. when you release the rubber band and pluck it, its lower and moves a lot wider, same thing with guitar strings.

I understand that. Sorry I forgot to add I was going to remove the high E string, then move the B string over to where the E string used to be and tune it up to B. And so on. So the low E string is now where the A string usually is but it tuned to E. The A string is now where the D string usually is but is tuned to A etc
Last edited by Rmonix at Jan 10, 2012,
doing it here and there isn't bad for the guitar. if you go to that tuning frequently you i would advise that you get another guitar if you are able to. frequent tuning that much back and forth could do damage.

edit: you would probably need your nut filed for thicker strings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/