Page 1 of 2
My band released a video for our "Kiss From A Rose" cover by seal.

This video has been getting a shit ton of laughs from a lot of people, which is rad. But it also has been copping a lot of shit, when posted on American sites in particular, from american users. Apparently "blackface" is highly offensive to Americans? Maybe in their culture it is but it's just simple satire pretty much everywhere else. Different cultures, bro. Also watch the original video to understand the parody haha.

Thought?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAbbe5gAPo
Blackface historically was used by racists and segregationists here in the US in a very negative way. Also, before it was socially acceptable for blacks to appear in stage or film performaces many "black" parts were played by white people in blackface. It's very culturally insensitive in the US.
Blackface is indeed offensive in the States.

And that cover sucked.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Blackface looks like Tom Hardy as Bronson.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

No, unless there's a white bishop present handing out candy to kids. Otherwise Blacking up is deemed socially unacceptable.
That was funny!

people need to buy a lamp and lighten up.
Gear:
Roland Cube 15X
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Dunlop Jazz III pick (max grip)
Roland HD-1 Elec drum kit

add me on fb!
Quote by Trowzaa
Blackface looks like Tom Hardy as Bronson.

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
How in the hell is that offensive? It made me laugh, man n*ggas need to chill out.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by SpanishYanez
How in the hell is that offensive? It made me laugh, man n*ggas need to chill out.

Oh you!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by ctfod

I forgot about that bit. Even better.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I'd be surprised if it was considered anything less than unacceptable in Australia. I remember a big story about some Aussie comedian/entertainer blacking up and getting redonkulous amounts of shit for it.

Anyway, blackface is not cool brah.
Blackface = no no in extremely overbearing politically correct america
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by WCPhils
I knew what this was going to be before I clicked

Though I was gonna post it if it wasn't.

Check the post
Given that blackface used to be used almost exclusively by white supremacists in theater to make racist jokes and insinuations, I can see why people have a problem with it. It's more the racist connotations than any joke you guys made.

Same deal with the confederate flag. It's not the flag itself but what it used to stand for that offends some people.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Blackface historically was used by racists and segregationists here in the US in a very negative way. Also, before it was socially acceptable for blacks to appear in stage or film performances many "black" parts were played by white people in blackface. It's very culturally insensitive in the US.

This. It was taken to a whole different level in the US when it was still "socially acceptable."

However, that is just over here in the US.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
American's think too much about their history, that's why it's offensive.

Blackface passed the acceptance-border A LONG TIME AGO here in Europe. You know, when slavery was like, GONE.

So much unnessecary drama on the other side.
Quote by Lord_Doku

Blackface passed the acceptance-border A LONG TIME AGO here in Europe. You know, when slavery was like, GONE.

It has nothing to do with slavery.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I've never heard of black face.

The clean vocals were shit.

Sounds like an awesome song though.

Why is black face offensive, and not the movie "white girls"?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by WCPhils
It has nothing to do with slavery.

Ofcourse not.

But blackface hasn't been a problem since then, at the very least.
Quote by son_of_bodom

because it's not racist when black people do it.

Honestly though, I have no idea. It confuses me too.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 9, 2012,
Offensiveness aside, that cover was terrible, and the video was terrible.

Quote by moscaespañol
Your username isn't helping, TS.

And his title isn't either.

Quote by son_of_bodom

Because the Wayans brother's lousy acting was already offensive enough.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Lord_Doku
Ofcourse not.

But blackface hasn't been a problem since then, at the very least.

Blackface was still prevalent in the early days of TV (c. 1950s). Keep in mind that America was still formally segregated less than 100 years ago, and that de facto segregation exists in most parts of the country. Blackface is a huge no-no for a reason.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by son_of_bodom
I've never heard of black face.

The clean vocals were shit.

Sounds like an awesome song though.

Because it's not racist if it's against white people.

Also, yes. The clean vocals were fucking terrible. I didn't like the cover, but it was nevertheless very well done. With a good singer it would've sounded professional. Fire your vocalist.
I liked your clean singer on the whole and didn't like your harsh vocalist. Fire your harsh vocalist.

That movie was an offense to the entire human race, and probably some smarter species of apes and dolphins, too. Anything with a shred of intelligence was offended by this movie.
Quote by willT08
I liked your clean singer on the whole and didn't like your harsh vocalist. Fire your harsh vocalist.

I can't logically tell you your opinion is wrong, but the guy wasn't singing in tune with the music at all. He was also singing entirely through his nose.

EDIT:
Quote by CoreysMonster
That movie was an offense to the entire human race, and probably some smarter species of apes and dolphins, too. Anything with a shred of intelligence was offended by this movie.

I don't care how bad those Batman films were, I still love them.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Blackface was still prevalent in the early days of TV (c. 1950s). Keep in mind that America was still formally segregated less than 100 years ago, and that de facto segregation exists in most parts of the country. Blackface is a huge no-no for a reason.

Thank you. I was going to type something like this, but wasn't sure if I was right or not.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Lord_Doku

I can't pretend I'm very familiar with the quality of life or the culture in Europe, but I'm quite certain the divide there is not nearly as bad as the divide here, and a great deal of that disparity in this country comes from the fact that legalized segregation has only been gone for forty years and some change. It takes more than a fresh new attitude and a couple years to climb out of that hole.

Also, different culture. No American should have to explain cultural awareness and sensitivity to a European. For Christ's sake, you're surrounded by other countries.

EDIT:
Quote by CoreysMonster
Huh?

I thought you were talking about the Batman film whose soundtrack the original Seal song was on. Now that I realize you were talking about that music video, I agree. Downing a bottle of vodka would have been better for my brain than watching that video.
Last edited by madbasslover at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by madbasslover
I thought you were talking about the Batman film whose soundtrack the original Seal song was on. Now that I realize you were talking about that music video, I agree. Downing a bottle of vodka would have been better for my brain than watching that video.

What? No I was talking about the movie White Chicks, I posted a screenshot of the movie in the post
Page 1 of 2