Hey guys, I can purchase either of these amps at the minute but the AVT50 will cost me $50 / £30 more. Which is better?
well, the MG is complete crap, so I'm going to have to save avt. im not a huge fan of either (just cause it says marshall on the front doesn't mean its going to have the marshall sound. you get what you pay for), but the AVT is reasonably good sounding for the money whereas the MG series is really quite awful.
go for the avt for sure, i used to have one and its actually a decent amp. however i recoment saving up for the head version either the avt50h or 150h. because the tone improves 10X on the head and the 150h has the best. just saying but go avt for sure!
Hey thanks for the input, I know everyone on here hates on the MG. I'm only starting out so I don't have a lot of knowledge but I know they're both low end Marshalls anyway.
What kind of music do you play? Are you going to be gigging with this amp? Neither of those amps are very good, and, depending on what sound your going for, you'll probably end up wishing you bought a lower wattage tube amp.
my shitty rig:
fender mim tele -> eqd hoof fuzz -> fender blues jr.
If its one or the other, AVT
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I won't be gigging with it, I play everything. I suppose my favourite band would be Brand New, but I love Bon Iver, Blink 182, Neutral Milk Hotel.. if you can get any idea of a sound from that :P I was looking at a Fender Blues Junior but they are 4x the price as these

I don't need a loud amp, what low wattage tube amp would you recommend? Think similar price range...
I would try get a 1 watt tube amp if you can. Get one second hand if you can. Whatever amp it is, it'll be infinitely better than those two amps you listed. I understand you're just starting out, but you will save yourself money in the long run. It'll make you sound a lot better too, which will make your playing seem better and thus boosting your confidence. Tube amps are lovely things. Really nice warm sound to them.
ah the old, "should I pay £X for something which is total shit or £(X+£30) for something which is marginally less shit but still shit" conundrum.

Philosophers have been struggling with this one for centuries.

Personally I say get neither.

EDIT: how much are you getting them for?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wheres Garybillington when we need him...

TS how much money do you actually have?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
if you aren't gigging, anything over 5 tube watts is probably going to be too much, especially if you want break up.

you have a few options here, all under 300, and all of which have combo and head versions:
vox ac4tv
epi valve jr
black heart little giant

of the three, my favorite is the vox
my shitty rig:
£45 for the MG and £75 for the AVT.

Thanks for the list, anyone got anymore to add to that?
if you're just starting out, the AVT is a good bet for that kind of money. I would take a larger solid-state or hybrid amp any day over a sub 5watt tube amp. I understand that these little amps certainly have their appeal, but I'm not convinced that they're better for all players. beginners will probably appreciate the turn on and play (even with no understanding of tubes, eq and power-amp clipping) simplicity of the AVT more than the benefits of a tube amp
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Wheres Garybillington when we need him...

TS how much money do you actually have?

I'm here, what do you need me for?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by unknown2k11

ah ok

that sounds like a decent enough price for the avt... i still say it's not much good, but £75 isn't going to be the end of the world either.

i guess, try all the modellers etc. around that price and see if any are any better than teh avt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an AVT50 combo myself. It's not awful, but it's not particularly good either. But for that price, not bad at all. I haven't replaced it because I hardly play at the moment, and hardly amp up when I do, so it's still my main amp.

The MG, avoid.
Both of those amps are shit, the AVT being better but not worth it.

If you are doing just bedroom wanking, get a Peavey Vypyr 15. I doubt your at the level to be using tubes yet, so a SS modeler like the Vypyr would do fine, and better than those to you listed.

My $.02.
^i'd recommend tubes for anyone regardless of their skill level. i personally, can't stand the way most solid state amps sound. it's more of a personal preference thing than a skill level thing.
my shitty rig:
Valvestate: If you want to (compared to MG)
MG: If you want to play guitar shitting out of your ass.
Quote by unknown2k11

you could also check out the marshall class 5 if you're bent on buying a marshall. they're a little pricier, but they are definitely great amps.
my shitty rig: