Hi Guys

Lets Say Im gonna play This ( While Distortion Effect Is On )

e ----------8----------
b -------------7--------

If i play 8 and then 7 ( while 8 is still rining and my finger is still on 8 ) the result is too much heavy noise >> crap sound

and the only way to avoid this heavy noise is to pull of my finger from 8 b4 playing 7

so i need to know if this is normal cuz im new to electrics?
do i really have to pull of my fingers from the other strings b4 playing the new strings?

I Dont face this problem on clean sound , this noise only happen on distorion or overdriven

Guitar / Dean z 79'
Interface / Digitech Rp355
Is it possible to turn down the volume or the gain? If you have the distortion too high you just lose all definition in your notes, and no amount of technique will change that.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
yeah bro, that happens when you have high gain, you cant stop it, it just happens
Quote by ZOSO <(
yeah bro, that happens when you have high gain, you cant stop it, it just happens

This.

This is the nature of playing with distortion effects, unfortunately.
Turning down the gain will give you a cleaner sound, however.
i set the gain to 0 and not so heavy distortion and still noise occur( lower noise but they still there ) when plaing 78787878 while keeping my fingers in their positions

i just wanted to make sure that there's nothing wrong with the guitar or so

Looks like i have lot of stuff to learn ( i thought i would be hero cuz i play acoustics )

Thx 4 replying Guys
some people like that noise
my shitty rig:
fender mim tele -> eqd hoof fuzz -> fender blues jr.
Quote by genuklein
some people like that noise

its not the noise u r thinking of

its a crap sound of 2 sounds ringing making my guitar sounds like its a 10$ Guitar

I Want The Real Distortion Noise that i was excpecting ( Doom And Heavy Metal Fan Here )
you have to mute the string at the same time you hit next string, you have to be much cleaner and much more precise in your playing when playing an electric with heavy distortion than an acoustic
sounds like a technique issue, not gear.

playing a flat 5th (thats what you're playing) is hardly ever going to sound "right" (unless you're a jazz guy). you have to be careful not to sound both notes at the same time. this is more important with distortion because distortion can increase sustain, making unwanted notes continue to ring more easily. essentially, playing those two notes together probably wont sound good, so you have to be more careful about it.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
s it like when you pley a chord wrong? this ugly sound just get worse with gain. What you amp?

Yeah , this noise also happens when i play a power chord wrong ( when i dont mute the other strings )

I Dont Have An Amp ,,, im connecting multieffect to my room subwoofer or my headphones
seems like i have to mute the other string first as u saying guys

thanks for info ,, although it doest look easy to do
Quote by Alex Mohi
I Dont Have An Amp ,,, im connecting multieffect to my room subwoofer or my headphones

Well, the issue of technique is at hand, and also the fact that you're never going to make that ^ sound good.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Alex Mohi
Yeah , this noise also happens when i play a power chord wrong ( when i dont mute the other strings )

Try not using the sub, and make sure you have some decent headphones, they can cause things to be muddy. I can play full chords with plenty of distortion and get a nice thick sounding chord, yeah, it sounds messy compared to a clean sound, but that's distortion.

Could be subpar pickups, bad pickups will mudd up when more than one note rings out. Or it could be your technique.
Hmmmm , i will try to a better headphones to see if it will help ,,, but i dont think that the problem is from subwoofer or headphones cuz the sound of clean tones or single tone on distortion is perfect
Last edited by Alex Mohi at Jan 10, 2012,
That's because it doesn't have anything to do with what you own, bu it's in what you play (Ie, it's your technique).

What these guys are saying is besides the point (but still valid, in my opinion); You're never going to get a multieffect directly into a subwoofer sound good. But that's not the issue, so don't worry. Once you get the confidence/budget/desire to upgrade your gear, do it.

In the mean time, work on your technique.
Let's say, electric guitar is a beast. If you move your hands off of it, it produces all sort of unwanted noise and you have to sorta 'tame' the guitar. On distortion, if you play multiple strings at same time they will 'over-write' each other. You can USE this effect with trying something like:

e--14--
b--15b18-
g-------

and create various effects.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Also (might have been mentioned here, must've missed it then), you can mute the string by momentarily de-fretting the string when you play the next note.
Quote by rageahol
Also (might have been mentioned here, must've missed it then), you can mute the string by momentarily de-fretting the string when you play the next note.

with defretting u mean to pull of my finger from the fret ? yeah defretting is a solution

but lets say if im playing this ( fear of the dark intro - iron maiden )

B|---------------5-5---
G|-5-----5-5-7-7-----
D|---5-5-------------

it would be easy to keep my 2 finger in the 5 fret for D&G and play

but as u saying i have to play 5G and defret and play 5D and defret and back to 5G and so on ? looks not logic
Dont fully lift your finger. Just enough so it kills the note, doesnt take much.

Edit: you could actually use your pick to mute that note as well. Takes a bit to get used to though.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Dont fully lift your finger. Just enough so it kills the note, doesnt take much.

Edit: you could actually use your pick to mute that note as well. Takes a bit to get used to though.

Good Idea Will Try It
i would kind of lay my finger across both d and g, just barely on d though and pick g, then kind of roll up onto d to pick it, this kind of mutes the g string enough to stop it ringing, then roll your finger back to play the g again and the tip of your finger mutes the d, i use this for all sorts of black sabbath tunes: at the end of war pigs for instance
|---------------------------------------|---------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------|---------------------------------------|
|----------12----------------12----12-|----------12---------------12----12-|
|----14----------14-(14)-------14----|----14----------14-(14)-------14----|
|-12----12----12---------12----------|-12----12----12---------12----------|

or the beginning of paranoid where the E string has to be muted before the A and D string hammer-ons:
D-------------------------------------------12h14---------12h14----------------
A---12h14----12h14----12h14---12h14---------12h14------------------------
E---12--------12--------12-------------------------------------------------------