So i have managed to learn all the notes of the neck pretty well. If you was to say to me 14th fret d string i would say E within about 2 seconds and if you 6th fret b string i would say F etc. I'm constantly practicing this and hope to get as fast and accurate as possible at it.

So lately i have been trying to learn the major scale and natural minor scale all over the neck in every key. So far ive managed to do

E minor / G major
A minor / C major
D minor/ F major
B minor / D major
G minor/ Bb major

So basically when im playing in these keys, i don't really see patterns or shapes, i just see a neck in the key of say E minor and my knowlege of the fretboard allows to pick out and target say the 5th or minor 3rd etc. Thats not to say i don't know sha[es and patterns. I know the 5 pentatonic patterns and i can i know my mode shapes.

I just try and learn a different key every week. I learn the notes of the scale, find where they are on each string, practice harmonising the scale and building chords and just improvise in that key for a week.

Is this a good way to learn all this or is there a much better approach ?
There is no right or wrong answer, whatever works for you works for you man. Some people are self-taught, some learn from an instructor. Some people learn visually, some aurally, some by doing, etc.

You seem to be doing pretty well with your method, learning all the notes is obviously a great thing to do.

I like using a different key every week and on any given day working on a different scale in that key. I also tend to think in patterns and shapes before I refer to note names. I'll think about where my root notes are and then from there I know where all of my intervals in the rest of the scale are. I then just move those patterns up and down the neck like a barre chord.

Like I said, whatever works for you!

Yeah, I'd say this is a solid approach, but don't eschew patterns or shapes, they are there for a reason, and they make a lot of practical sense. But its how you utilize them, that makes a difference, just make sure that whatever you are doing and learning, you are applying and finding that you are moving at a comfortable pace.

But overall I think you've got a very good approach underway!

EDIT (several hours later): HEY! I just realized who you were!! No wonder you know the notes on the neck so well - when I read that, I was thinking "Hey that sounds exactly like the claims I make about the course..." Duh...Count me slow! Anyways, I couldn't be more thrilled with the progress that you're making.

BY the way... did you get your "Welcome letter" from me (check your spam filter! Didn't realize who you were! By the way, if you continue on and are accepted for further study with us, scales will never be a worry for you again, and I wouldn't sweat it at all.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 10, 2012,
Good, you have used one of the best methods for learning the notes on the guitar! It's tough, but now you have it. But with guitar "(movable) Shapes are paramount in learning effective practice runs. Find 3 note per string scales all the way from 6th string to 1st. then start on the second scale degree.

ex. a b c d e f g a b c d e f g a b c d having 'a' as the pitch center this will create a nice big shape on the guitar.

ex. b c d e f g a b c d e f g a b c d e f g do the same but this shape will be different because of the re-arranged half and whole steps and 'b' as the tone center. Do this all the way up to a again and you basically have the entire fretboard as a scale/shape

Hope this helps!
-Shredworthy
Don't even think about modes yet. In fact, don't mention modes here. They drive everyone crazy for some reason.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!