I'm finding my pick is often getting snagged between strings extremely often. Especially when I am trying to learn how to sweep. I'm finding I have to actually lift the pick up when I pick. This especially occurs when I try to play loud, but if I go quieter I feel as though I can't hear it. I am finding this extremely frustrating. What does this indicate? Is it technique such as grip etc?
No idea, pictures or a video would probably help.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hard to say exactly without seeing you play, but make sure you're angling the pick into the sweep. If it's at a 90 degree angle to the strings it can get caught up in them like what is happening to you. Don't think I explained that perfectly, hopefully you know what I mean.
I feel like the angle would almost be a natural instinct when trying to sweep, but then again i suck at sweeping and only mess around with it now and then. Definitely sounds like that could be the issue though because if you were angling the pick so the tip is slightly pointing up at you on your downstroke, it wouldnt really be possible for it to get stuck in between strings. Reverse for upstroke

Im pretty sure my sweep pick motion on the right hand could work quite well, the problem is my left hand sucks and I never play it clean, lmao...one day ill get the patience to start slow and work up the speed on it...someday.
Last edited by shinedown98 at Jan 9, 2012,
another thing is make sure you don't have too much pick making contact with the stings, if you have like 1/4 or more going in between your strings it might also be the issue if you arent at a shallow enough angle
Quote by shinedown98
I feel like the angle would almost be a natural instinct when trying to sweep, but then again i suck at sweeping and only mess around with it now and then. Definitely sounds like that could be the issue though because if you were angling the pick so the tip is slightly pointing up at you on your downstroke, it wouldnt really be possible for it to get stuck in between strings. Reverse for upstroke

Im pretty sure my sweep pick motion on the right hand could work quite well, the problem is my left hand sucks and I never play it clean, lmao...one day ill get the patience to start slow and work up the speed on it...someday.

That would be the problem.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by shinedown98
I the problem is my left hand sucks and I never play it clean, lmao...one day ill get the patience to start slow and work up the speed on it...someday.

go slower, maybe 50 bpm, itsll give you a chance to fix your picking form too, two birds one stone bro
I'm finding my pick is often getting snagged between strings extremely often. Especially when I am trying to learn how to sweep. I'm finding I have to actually lift the pick up when I pick. This especially occurs when I try to play loud, but if I go quieter I feel as though I can't hear it. I am finding this extremely frustrating. What does this indicate? Is it technique such as grip etc?

Yes. You're gripping the pick too hard or incorrectly, see this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4