Page 1 of 2
I just installed an Eminence Governor in my 6505 combo on Friday, and have maybe logged 3 hours of playing over the last few days, mostly at bedroom volumes but occasionally at "2" on the post gain which is to say considerably loud.

It sounds awesome, and I really dig the tone, but there seems to be a lot of bottom-end missing as opposed to the stock Sheffield. Can I expect some of the bottom end to develop more as the speaker breaks-in, and how long might that take? I really didn't think the speaker would change my amp this much...

If it's always going to sound this way...I don't know; I might have to invest in an EQ pedal or maybe convert the amp to a head and get a 2 X 12 cab so I can also have a more bottom-rich speaker too.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Speakers don't break in, there's no break in period, despite what many would think....there's been a huge debate over this before...it didn't end well from what I remember.

+1
Speakers don't break in, your ears just get used to the sound. Even if you could "break in" a guitar speaker, it wouldn't just suddenly have more bass response. Just give it while and maybe you'll like it.
Quote by KailM
I just installed an Eminence Governor in my 6505 combo on Friday, and have maybe logged 3 hours of playing over the last few days, mostly at bedroom volumes but occasionally at "2" on the post gain which is to say considerably loud.

It sounds awesome, and I really dig the tone, but there seems to be a lot of bottom-end missing as opposed to the stock Sheffield. Can I expect some of the bottom end to develop more as the speaker breaks-in, and how long might that take? I really didn't think the speaker would change my amp this much...

If it's always going to sound this way...I don't know; I might have to invest in an EQ pedal or maybe convert the amp to a head and get a 2 X 12 cab so I can also have a more bottom-rich speaker too.

sometimes a speaker is a little stiff out of the box, and will loosen with use,
changing the low end.

i wouldnt expect a huge difference. so extent and break in time varies.

check manufacturers page.

sometimes they say, but dont keep the speaker too long if there's a chance you
might want to return.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by ethan_hanus
Speakers don't break in, there's no break in period, despite what many would think....there's been a huge debate over this before...it didn't end well from what I remember.

That's just like saying an engine doesn't break in. You wouldn't run a freshly rebuilt engine hard as hell on the first run.
Quote by FearMyLightning
That's just like saying an engine doesn't break in. You wouldn't run a freshly rebuilt engine hard as hell on the first run.

+1
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by FearMyLightning

No, but speakers are not like engines. I've run plenty of brand new speakers hard and they sound just fine. It's just an electromagnet and a voice coil...nothing to really burn up or break in other than the cone, but you don't want that getting soft...it might tear, or make the tone sound spongy.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, but speakers are not like engines. I've run plenty of brand new speakers hard and they sound just fine. It's just an electromagnet and a voice coil...nothing to really burn up or break in other than the cone, but you don't want that getting soft...it might tear, or make the tone sound spongy.

You're always wrong in the Car Thread, why would you be right here?
Quote by FearMyLightning
You're always wrong in the Car Thread, why would you be right here?

Wrong? More like your lack of understanding on how cars work. Don't blame your ignorance on me being wrong.

You weren't around when we had that huge do speakers break in argument...that was fun.
Quote by ethan_hanus

sure they sound fine. that's not the point.

they loosen up a little. that's going to change their tone.
even if in some cases only slightly.

i dont know if the TS is ever going to get his desired tone.

but i'm certain the speaker isnt going to sound exactly the same
over its life.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
sure they sound fine. that's not the point.

they loosen up a little. that's going to change their tone.
even if in some cases only slightly.

i dont know if the TS is ever going to get his desired tone.

but i'm certain the speaker isnt going to sound exactly the same
over its life.

True, but I don't really consider that breaking in, cause it doesn't preform as well as it did brand new...breaking in would be if the speaker started to preform better after it has some time to wear in....which they typically don't. I've gone though plenty of speakers, guitar and audio speakers, and they just generally degrade over time, not really breaking in.
Quote by KailM
I just installed an Eminence Governor in my 6505 combo ... but there seems to be a lot of bottom-end missing as opposed to the stock Sheffield. ...

You need the Swamp Thang for authoritative Lows ... specially if you're down-tuned and/or using 7 strings.

The Governor is more for Mid and Top ends.
Quote by ethan_hanus
True, but I don't really consider that breaking in, cause it doesn't preform as well as it did brand new...breaking in would be if the speaker started to preform better after it has some time to wear in....which they typically don't. I've gone though plenty of speakers, guitar and audio speakers, and they just generally degrade over time, not really breaking in.

well, i guess then to an extent we agree.

because my experience has been that they dont perform "the same"
as they do brand new.

imo, "as well" is up to the player. which is why some ask for extra doping,
some dont.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Ippon
You need the Swamp Thang for authoritative Lows ... specially if you're down-tuned and/or using 7 strings.

The Governor is more for Mid and Top ends.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention he got a british-voiced speaker for an american-voiced amp.
speakers break in.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by ethan_hanus

then how come old speakers can sound good?

I've gone through the following new speakers and I could swear they sounded better after breaking in then when brand new. Brand new sounded stiff and bit trebly.

Celestion G12H30
Celestion Classic Lead 80
Eminence Man O War
Splawn Small Blocks

But maybe that was just my mind playing tricks on me.

And where is this thread you are talking about, I want to see it.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
then how come old speakers can sound good?

I've gone through the following new speakers and I could swear they sounded better after breaking in then when brand new. Brand new sounded stiff and bit trebly.

Celestion G12H30
Celestion Classic Lead 80
Eminence Man O War
Splawn Small Blocks

But maybe that was just my mind playing tricks on me.

And where is this thread you are talking about, I want to see it.

Idk when it was...or where it is, but I remember it cause I got flamed hard for thinking they did break in. I think you pitched in on that thread too...I do know it got closed though.

I think it's a mind trick...And old speakers sound good because they were made to sound good...right?
no.

Quote by AcousticMirror
no.

i started to write a page to respond to his last post.
but this works too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I had heard that the average was like 20 hours of guitar playing at decent or moderate volume. That might have come from Dave at Avatar but I honestly can't remember.

But yeah - it is also possible that the Governer just doesn't suit you in that amp but I'd give it some more time and then if it still doesn't do it for you - you can always sell it as 'broken in'
speakers break in. buy two of the same speakers, use one of them for a few weeks. give it a good listen, then swap the unused one in. you will hear the difference.

hell i have two quads of English T75's and one quad of the new T75's. there is a significant difference between them. in the same cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
speakers break in. buy two of the same speakers, use one of them for a few weeks. give it a good listen, then swap the unused one in. you will hear the difference.

hell i have two quads of English T75's and one quad of the new T75's. there is a significant difference between them. in the same cab.

If I had the money I'd give that a try.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Wrong? More like your lack of understanding on how cars work. Don't blame your ignorance on me being wrong.

You weren't around when we had that huge do speakers break in argument...that was fun.

DON'T PUT BOOST ON A STOCK MOTOR OR YOU'LL RUIN IT AND THE REST OF THE CAR FOREVER!
Quote by Ippon
So, do hi-fi speaker cones that are ceramic-coated Aluminum/Magnesium need breaking in?

yes. but usually someone does that for you. with a special hidef signal source that gently caresses them.

everything breaks in.

if you plan to use resistors above 100c it's recommended that they are baked in an oven first so that their thermal drift happens outside of the circuit.

I bought the eminence monster metal kit(2-swamp thangs,2-texas heats)for the bottom cab of my stack.The first time my band practiced with these new speakers my rig sounded kind of thin and weak bass wise.The second time we jammed it sounded better,and so on and so on.I have my amp cranked to the max(peavey windsor head)every time we jam,and each time we jam it is for 5-6 hours.I don't really know what happened but my stack eventually got to the brutally heavy sound I hoped these speakers would give me.The other guys in the band noticed the improvement every time we jammed too.I am a believer in speakers sound better when broken in.
^ Specially with the Swamp Thangs.
Quote by AcousticMirror
yes. but usually someone does that for you. with a special hidef signal source that gently caresses them.

everything breaks in.

if you plan to use resistors above 100c it's recommended that they are baked in an oven first so that their thermal drift happens outside of the circuit.

Yeah, my eminence speakers definitely sounded fuller after I ran them through a couple band practices. They are texas heats, so I cant really say anything about improvements in bass, as they arent really that kind of speaker, but the definitely filled the room up much better once they were broke in.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
$45
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
$45

raise you a looney. and some jewish chocolate money
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Speakers break in. Some more subtle than others, but they definitely break in.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
Depends on the speaker. I found that my Lorantz Greenback clone took a couple of months to break in properly. Probably because the cone is full of hemp.
Basically, don't crank them full tilt for the first hour or two and then go for it. After a month or two they will be as good as it gets.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ethan_hanus
If I had the money I'd give that a try.

if i pick up a new set of speakers and get my computer situation fixed so i can record, i will remember to play one of the two for a few weeks get a good recording of it. other speaker that is identical cab, i will hook it up and mic it, not moving the mic, cab, and eliminating variables.

however that may be a long shot. i don't really buy speakers new. i buy cabinets to either keep or gut so i have more speakers, and ditch the cabs whether it be sell the gutted cabs for what i can $20 or $50 or what not, or i will just light one up with the AK47 i would only do that if i couldn't find someone who could use it, if somebody would benefit from it and i have no use for it i would have no problems giving it away.

and i would need get a new computer or see if i can buy my dad's computer off of him (best scenario).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ethan_hanus
You're an idiot, just stop talking dude.

Celestion has fucking instructions on how to break in a speaker. So shut the FUCK up, and get some goddamn knowledge.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Celestion has fucking instructions on how to break in a speaker. So shut the FUCK up, and get some goddamn knowledge.

LoL Dimebag's attitude rubbed off on you quite a bit. That said, you're right and that's not a bad thing.
The continual heating / cooling cycling of the voice coil is part of breaking in. When a speaker is new from the factory the rubber cement adhesive surround which secures the cone to the frame flexes and gives over time. When new, the surround is a rigid hold.

I don't see why a speaker wouldn't undergo break in phase. Although how much of that translates into audible change in tone is subjective.
Okay, okay, wow I wasn't expecting this many responses. I think it's been established that speakers break-in. Please stop bullying EthanHanus now.

I think I'll just keep going with the speaker I have; it sounds ultra-tight and really improves my overall tone. If it had just a bit more bottom end it would be perfect. Maybe that will happen over the next 10 hours of playing or so...
Page 1 of 2