Page 2 of 2
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, but speakers are not like engines. I've run plenty of brand new speakers hard and they sound just fine. It's just an electromagnet and a voice coil...nothing to really burn up or break in other than the cone, but you don't want that getting soft...it might tear, or make the tone sound spongy.

Let's see; excursion affects the frequency response of a speaker. Excursion increases as the speaker's cone softens. So yes, speakers break in. Whether or not you think its a pleasant breaking in or just a negligible difference you can debate... But you're on the side of the debate populated by internet-know-nothings. I'd rather be on the side with people like Ted Weber.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 10, 2012,
I've always been told the best and fastest way to break in some new speakers was to play a bass through your amp at a lower/moderate volume. don't crank it obviously.

may be bs, i've never tried it myself.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
An electromechanical device is not an engine? Interesting.
Something that converts electrical energy into kinetic energy - sounds like an engine to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wait, people believe stuff written by UG members? That's like taking Fox News at face value.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Cathbard
An electromechanical device is not an engine? Interesting.
Something that converts electrical energy into kinetic energy - sounds like an engine to me.

This isn't a place for your science witchery! Next you'll be saying the earth moves round the sun and is 4.5bn years old.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
If you think about it, the modern production assembly line basically guarantees that everything manufactured that way will need to 'break in.' Parts aren't made for individual units anymore, they're made in bulk... Which means they don't fit or operate the same in every unit. As the unit is used the parts wear together and become better suited to working together.

Of course this is extremely general, and there are exceptions, but I think its pretty true of most modern products. Guns are the best example; the difference between a $500 brand new production model and a $5,000 custom gun isn't actually in the parts, its in the time someone took selecting the parts and 'mating' them to each other so they work perfectly together in that gun.

Just a fun thought for an otherwise dead thread.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My Lorantz Greenback is as close and you're ever going to get to a hand made boutique speaker and it still needed quite a long break-in period. Speakers need breaking in - period.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification