Hello, I'm a new guitar player. Acoustic specifically. I have been learning Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars song. I choose this song because it seems fairly simply. However, there is a part in the tab where I am required to do a full step bend. Can someone explain to me how to do a full step bend? I have been using the tab on tab pro (version 1). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
Depending on how heavy your string gauge is, it might be difficult to pull a full step bend off. They'll be easier farther up the neck to begin with, and try practicing on the G string. For some reason that's my favorite to bend on.

One thing to make it easier as well is bend with your ring finger, using the two fingers behind it for support on the same string.
If you have a tuner available, you can try to bend the note your finger is on up until you have reached the note 2 half steps (each fret is a half step) or = to 1 whole step up. So, do what he said above and use ring and middle finger to get the strength to do it, its not nearly as easy on an acoustic as an electric. For examples sake, if you are on the note A, bend it up until the tuner says right on "B"...now try to get the feel of how far you pushed up to get there ingrained in your mind and fingers so you can replicate it without the tuner every time. Eventually your ear starts getting the feel for half and whole step bends naturally...but it takes time and practice.
Last edited by shinedown98 at Jan 9, 2012,
Okay...my guitar teacher said it's a bit beyond me considering I am a new player and that I shouldn't worry about it right now. So I think I'll do just that for now haha.
What I find will really help you out is to play the note that you are supposed to hit for the bend and then attempt the bend in the right position and match it by ear. Overtime it will become much easier.
Quote by musician26
Okay...my guitar teacher said it's a bit beyond me considering I am a new player and that I shouldn't worry about it right now. So I think I'll do just that for now haha.

Not necessarily.

A good way to practice this sort of band is doing a unison bend.

e|--------
b|----10--
g|----12^14
d|--------
a|--------
E|--------

So put your index finger at the 10th fret on the b string (that's an A note) and but your ring finger on the 12th fret on the g string (that's a G note).

Play both strings and push the g string up until it sounds the same as the b string. You can put your middle finger behind the ring finger to help you push the string up, most of the strength should come from the wrist though.

What you are doing is pushing the g string up so it sounds an A note (which would normally be the 14 fret) while the A note is ringing out on the b sting. The b string gives your ears a reference to help you push the g string up far enough to get the note you want.

It will help you train your ears a little bit and will help you understand approximately how far up you need to push the string when you are learning Chasing Cars.

Note that it might take a bit of work, especially to get the finger strength, but it is NOT beyond you. Also, I've just chosen the 10th and 12th fret as an example. You can do this anywhere on the b and g string. Just chose a note on the b sting and start on the g string 2 frets above.
On the contrary, I'd say that if his teacher says it's a bit beyond him then it is - that's one of the roles of a teacher, to gauge a student's progress and teach things at the appropriate times.

You can't learn everything at once, and it's sensible to hold off things like learning to bend until you've spent a bit of time getting comfortable with fretting and working with the pick.

Also from a purely physical point of view a 2nd fret bend on an acoustic can be a tricky one even for an accomplished player.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you find you're having trouble doing the full step bend, you can often get away with cheating a bit and doing a half step band. For example, say you have to bend from a D to an E on the b string. Instead, you can usually just do the D# to the E and nobody will really notice.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Just bend the string even if it doesn't sound right just keep practicing bending the string, eventually you'll hear when to stop as it will sound like the part in the song your trying to play. Also practice bending with different fingers and combinations of fingers as this will build strength in all of your digits and will help you when it comes to more complicated pieces.
As a shortcut just now you could play the actual note without the bend just as a simple fretted note two frets higher than the current position you are trying to bend from. Obviously you will want to learn how to do your bends though in time as its a pretty fundamental skill required for guitar playing and the advice above all rings true.