This guitar is going to be a lean mean shredding machine. I wanted to make a truly wicked axe that took the best of all my guitars and had the faults of none. My Ibanez plays great but a cheap bridge and lack luster pickups really hold it back my Schecter is awesome great tone quality parts but lacks a floating bridge, my Jackson was an all-right all-around guitar but just felt a little on the cheap side.

So with a couple of ideas I started gathering parts I wanted to go used to keep the total price down but some of the items I had to buy new such as the body which we will start with.

I scoured ebay trying to find the perfect body. There were a few here and there but what made it difficult was I wanted a single volume knob no tone and a single bridge mounted pickup that was angled like the old kramer bodies which was why my pickings were so slim. Eventually I settled on Warmoth great quality made in the us guitar parts and found a blemished poplar body for sale and had it cut to what I wanted.

after routing out some of the cavities to make the bridge fit 100% and the cable jack hole needed to be a little bigger. (i did it with a dremel)

The neck I also had trouble finding something in 25.5 scale with 24 frets or more that had a locking nut so I just settled on a new neck from some guitar shop that sells their stuff through ebay. Rock maple made in the us, real inlays 24 frets pretty good deal for ~100 iirc.

Since it had a rosewood fretboard I decided to give some black staining oil a try to give it more of an ebony look and I've got to say it came out awesome!

Coat1

Drying with coat2

Another issue I had along with having to rout some of the cavities was that initially the heel on the neck was too tall. Luckily my friends dad has a friend that owns a wood working shop and we took a band saw to it and lopped off just enough to get it to sit just right.

and voila after the bandsaw

More to come! the lectronics hardware and I think the most unique thing about my build how I'm going to finish it.
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
As for the electrics an emg 81, got it with the wiring on ebay a while ago for ~60 and the hardware is not chrome or black. I have a Floyd rose special which isn't made in Germany like the original but it's leaps and bounds better quality than any other licensed cheap floyd. It's black nickel and I don't have a picture of it with me but it's kind of a smoked grey color it looks really cool.

going to yank off the tone knob and only use the volume the wiring is simple enough to solder.

My custom neckplate! I bought a blank one and my girlfriend had it engraved with my design 4152 is our "band" name and by band I mean my friend who plays drums and myself lol but anyway. I didn't realize on the picture I gave her the writing was so small but it says.
Made in the USA
Serial: 0001
4152-1

A little showy touch I thought of the other day, picked up a set of black coated strings to go with the whole metal shred machine theme, probably just go my to my regular ghs's after I wear them down a little bit don't know maybe I will like them
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
So for the finish I'm going to be putting on a layer of 50/50 carbon fiber kevlar around the outside. Originally at my friends suggestion I saw just going to do normal carbon but at the fiberglass shop I just ell in love with the red and black hybrid and knew that's what had to be done.

Unfortunately kevlar is very difficult to work with however I work for an aerospace insulation company and we have a clean room and people who cut kevlar every day and they cut these awesome patterns for me!

Here's all the patterns I have, doing the body and headstock

The body will be done in 3 pieces, one on the top and bottom and a strip around the edge, so we will have to bag it twice.

and The headstock which is simple enough, just doing a top and bottom sandwich.
- Steel Panther
I'm sure it'll look killer with the tape off from around the edges, its throwing me off a little :P Looks pretty great so far man!
Musical things I do
http://www.youtube.com/user/CGuitar2112

GEAR
Ibanez RG 7421
Ibanez S470DXQM - Viking Red
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 RN
Greg Bennet Custom
Peavey Raptor I
Atomic Reactor 112 Amp
Line 6 POD HD w/ MkII Express
You shouldn't have cut the heel like that. It would've been better to deepen the pocket. But either way those little fretboard extensions are not really meant to sit flush on the body.

Anyway, it's your guitar and I wish you luck. That carbon fiber looks super rad.
Yeah, it has to be taped to cut it or else it just frays apart. We will resin it first and then pull the tape off once it hardens.

That's actually the second set of patterns they made for me lol. The first time we couldn't get the tape off but the tape was on the side that had to go against the body... lol

Hmmm, I thought about deepening the pocket but I felt that the pocket wasn't really that deep in the first place so i decided to cut the heel. Didn't realize that the extension didn't need to fit flush :X
- Steel Panther
Last edited by LightninStrikes at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by LightninStrikes
Didn't realize that the extension didn't need to fit flush :X

It should still be fine. Worst case scenario is that you can't lower your bridge enough to get good action but then you can shim it so it's angled like a Gibson. Also make sure your neck screws don't go through the fretboard.
If I were you I'd bolt the guitar together and make sure everything works before you go through the trouble of putting the carbon fiber on the headstock. That heel 'modification' you done might have made the neck sit too low for the bridge to give acceptable action over the higher frets. Also finding screws that won't go through the fretboard is gonna be a challenge now..

Good luck though, I hope it turns out well
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
That was another reason I took the neck down a little bit. The bridge sits pretty much flat with the body and it looked like the neck was way too high and better to have it sit too low because i can always shim it like you mentioned above.

Neck screws are one thing I haven't looked for yet though. The neck screws I have now that came with the neck plate are about 1/4 to a half an inch too long. It's not in front of me so I'm not sure exactly but I know I need new ones.
- Steel Panther
What are your people using to cut the kevlar hybrid? How do they clean up the edges after the vacuum and cure? Do they just cut close for a sharp corner or is there some method for making a seam or edge?

This is a really cool build. You're lucky to have such a resource at work, and people who are willing to help out with some rather sophisticated work.
They just used some good shears and masking tape and they hand cut everything. My friends and I will be bagging it ourselves at my work (different department) they work with sailboats and one of them makes a lot of stuff out of carbon and we'll just sand down the edges after we bag it and what doesn't sand off will be sprayed down with my can of clear-coat which will be going over the whole body so I can wet sand it.

I don't think there's any special method for making an edge
- Steel Panther