Hi guys,
I'm considering importing a used bass (I've put this in EG because it's not really about the bass itself more about the actual store and I figured there would be more chance of someone in here having been there before, I hope that's cool mods.) from the Guitar Center in Nashville.
Now the reason I'm buying from there is the bass I'm after is pretty hard to find used (it's about $6000 over here new) and I haven't been able to find one for sale in Australia. I'm hesitant to buy the bass sight unseen given all the stories I've heard on here and elsewhere about their employees being un-knowledgeable about their product and just out to make a quick sale. Obviously if there's an issue with the bass when I receive it it's going to be a MASSIVE pain in my arse to send it back.
Now the guy I've been in contact with about the bass seems pretty good, he sent me extra pictures and has been really honest about the things he's not sure about. I feel a bit better about the GC being in Nashville, having such a large musical community and all.
Basically what I'd like to ask of you guys is to share any experience with this particular Guitar Center store. Good or bad.

TL;DR: Share your experience/s with the Guitar Center in Nashville.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Hi guys,
I'm considering importing a used bass (I've put this in EG because it's not really about the bass itself more about the actual store and I figured there would be more chance of someone in here having been there before, I hope that's cool mods.) from the Guitar Center in Nashville.
Now the reason I'm buying from there is the bass I'm after is pretty hard to find used (it's about $6000 over here new) and I haven't been able to find one for sale in Australia. I'm hesitant to buy the bass sight unseen given all the stories I've heard on here and elsewhere about their employees being un-knowledgeable about their product and just out to make a quick sale. Obviously if there's an issue with the bass when I receive it it's going to be a MASSIVE pain in my arse to send it back.
Now the guy I've been in contact with about the bass seems pretty good, he sent me extra pictures and has been really honest about the things he's not sure about. I feel a bit better about the GC being in Nashville, having such a large musical community and all.
Basically what I'd like to ask of you guys is to share any experience with this particular Guitar Center store. Good or bad.

TL;DR: Share your experience/s with the Guitar Center in Nashville.

i can ask in the WTLT thread about the store.

but are you sure you're not going to get killed in fees trying to ship it over?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i can ask in the WTLT thread about the store.

but are you sure you're not going to get killed in fees trying to ship it over?

Cheers, that'd be much appreciated.
I'm no stranger to importing stuff from the states. I'm probably looking at an extra $500-600 in shipping, GST and duty but it still comes in at about $700 less than the only used one I could find over here.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I have been inside the store a time or two. Honestly, there was nothing special about it either good or bad.

I didn't particularly trust the employees, but I don't trust them at any GC. I just try to get them not to bother me.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by consecutive e
Cheers, that'd be much appreciated.
I'm no stranger to importing stuff from the states. I'm probably looking at an extra $500-600 in shipping, GST and duty but it still comes in at about $700 less than the only used one I could find over here.

ok well good luck. sorry about your higher prices.
i see kyle saw the bat signal^

hope the info helps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Usually big music cities have better GCs with better staffs.

I haven't been to the Nashville one, but the best one I've been to was in Austin TX. Next was Virginia Beach, VA, and then the ones up in Northern VA. Dallas was alright; the midwest ones aren't bad, but the worst one was in San Antonio, TX.

I had one employee drive 100 miles round trip in his own vehicle to pick up a set of just released drums from the distribuition center so he could make the sale on my day off. So I didn't mind driving 50 miles round trip even though there were other stores half the distance--they wouldn't help.

So it's just like anything else; some of the employees are great, and others suck. The only 2 online retailers I'd totally trust are Sweetwater and BH Photo.

It sounds like this will be worth the risk if it pays off. Much cheaper than flying up to get it in person.
That store is close by to me and I've been in a few times. Pretty typical as far as chain stores are concerned.

What are your primary concerns about the instrument?