Hey guys,
recently been looking at old cheap Japanese guitars, and just old guitars in general such as Kingstons and Teiscos, and was thinking about buying one and fixing it up, as a bit of a hobby. Has anyone played these guitars and/or have any other suggestions of cheap old brands i could look out for. Been drawn in by there looks mainly. Love the look of the univox hi flyer/ Tesico Del Ray style of guitars, guess there all the surfy style guitars from back in the day.
Was thinking i would replace the electrics and pick ups etc fix the necks if they need it. Has anyone fixed these sort of guitars up before and can share there experiences with them.
Cheers
I really wish Teiscos hadn't gone so far up in price in the past few years, I love 'em. I played one of their semi-hollowbodies a few years back (don't remember the model), and it was a great guitar. The ET-440 is probably the guitar I've spent the most time trying to find for sale out of any guitar out there. I'd say go for it, most of the ones I've played have aged surprisingly well. I do know that some of them (Spectrums) appear to use some very odd pickup configurations that would probably be a pain in the ass to replace if you ever wanted to, but I can't imagine the wiring being any more difficult than your standards, and 99% of them are bolt-ons, so worst case scenario you can replace the necks.
My friend bought a Crestline kinda like this

It needed new tuners for sure, the stock ones were way too loose to be useful.
Then the wiring needed to be fixed and it needed a new jack just from the age. We also shielded the inside with aluminum foil to cut down on feedback.
It needs a new saddle because the one it has is not compensated at all, so the intonation is crap in a lot of places.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by smouch3
Hey guys,
recently been looking at old cheap Japanese guitars, and just old guitars in general such as Kingstons and Teiscos, and was thinking about buying one and fixing it up, as a bit of a hobby. Has anyone played these guitars and/or have any other suggestions of cheap old brands i could look out for. Been drawn in by there looks mainly. Love the look of the univox hi flyer/ Tesico Del Ray style of guitars, guess there all the surfy style guitars from back in the day.
Was thinking i would replace the electrics and pick ups etc fix the necks if they need it. Has anyone fixed these sort of guitars up before and can share there experiences with them.
Cheers

i collect and do minimal work to Yamaha Classicals, made from the Nippon Gakki plant in japan in the 50's-60's IIRC. i have five or so (one isn't in playable condition, but it may get there, or may hang on the wall. i have picked them up for as low as $10 at a garage sale, to $75 on ebay. they are very nice sounding, and i will take whatever ones i can track down, but try harder for the upper ones, with more solid wood construction. the craftsmanship is amazing, great quality beautiful wood. and have had plenty of time to age and season.

i don't know about the guitars you are talking to, but don't expect to be bringing in a ton of money refinishing. if you shine it up, dress up the frets, lightly oil the fretboard, polish the chrome with #0000 steel wool, you can get them looking better.

if you are really wanting to get into refinishing as a hobby, it is a lot of fun, but there is a learning curve. i would't even bother unless you have a decent compressor and sprayer. i have a small compressor, but my friend is an artist/sculptor, and he has a nice down draft painting booth and everything that goes along with it.

it takes a lot of patience, but it is fun. but it is also very frustrating sometimes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yer i noticed some of them had some very odd switch configurations, and a lot of switch's haha which obviously means some different wiring configs. As far as pick ups go, i would be putting different ones back into them, such as Seymour Duncan sh-4 or Di Marzio Super Dist, turn them into rock boxs haha
That Crestline looks pretty sweet haven t heard of them before, but that's the sort of thing i will be looking for, an old banger to do fix right up, very cool.
As far as refinishing goes i dont think ill go to far into repairing paint work and stuff like that, but stick more to what you have said such as learning to dress frets properly and getting them looking good.
i buy and work on them myself a lot. i love to restore the old teisco guitars. as a rule the more funky and crazy (with tons of switches) the more they cost. You can buy the entry level stuff for $35 and up. you will do fine just troll craigslist and local places. you can find them on ebay but often the shipping is more than the guitars are worth. don't get in too deep at first.
i love them personally, they have a cool sound and some of them are really unique. But they are what they are, cheap guitars with a better than average sound.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.