How are they compared to real tube amps? And are they better than modelling amps? I'm looking at getting a Peavey Envoy 110. Are there better amps out there for the same price?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
How much are you looking to spend and how what type of sound are you after? What is the closest major city?

There are typically better stuff for the price.
Quote by R45VT
How much are you looking to spend and how what type of sound are you after? What is the closest major city?

There are typically better stuff for the price.

Ok. I'm into rock and metal, I also want a good clean sound. I can't access ebay or buy anything online. My closest major city is 6 hours drive away. The amp is 350$. That's how much I'm looking to spend.

EDIT: I want to use it for gigging and stuff like that. I have a strat copy and a crappy little Marshall MG-10 at the moment.
Last edited by stealstrings at Jan 10, 2012,
I can't comment on the Envoy, but I owned a few Bandits over the years and they all sounded great for the price. Better than any solid state amps I've owned except for my Sunn Beta Lead, but that thing's in a league of its own (well, it's also occupied by the Ampeg V-4, but you get what I'm saying). I'd say go for it if the sound quality is what you're concerned with.
Quote by stealstrings
Ok. I'm into rock and metal, I also want a good clean sound. I can't access ebay or buy anything online. My closest major city is 6 hours drive away. The amp is 350$. That's how much I'm looking to spend.

EDIT: I want to use it for gigging and stuff like that. I have a strat copy and a crappy little Marshall MG-10 at the moment.

All I hear is excuses. What is your closest city so we can use CL for you if you are in the US.

Right now I don't have a clue what country you are in. (Nor does anyone else who would want to help)
Quote by R45VT
All I hear is excuses. What is your closest city so we can use CL for you if you are in the US.

Right now I don't have a clue what country you are in. (Nor does anyone else who would want to help)

Sorry. I'm in Australia. My closest city is Perth.
Quote by stealstrings
Sorry. I'm in Australia. My closest city is Perth.

$350 won't even get you an MG. (kidding)

Cath- what can the man get for $350au?
Now you tell us you are in Perth. That could have been useful at the beginning you know?
You can use Aussie Ebay can't you? $350 isn't going to buy you a lot. I'll give ebay a bit of a scan for you. Gumtree may be worth a look too.

bbiab
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Now you tell us you are in Perth. That could have been useful at the beginning you know?
You can use Aussie Ebay can't you? $350 isn't going to buy you a lot. I'll give ebay a bit of a scan for you. Gumtree may be worth a look too.

bbiab

I can't use ebay coz I don't have an paypal account or credit card or anything.
i had the transtube supreme as my first head, it was 100% solid state, but for a two channel non-modeler budget 100 watt head, it sounded pretty damn good. i paid $150 for it new on clearance 9 or so years ago.

they are definitely one of the better solid state amps i have played.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Doesn't take long to setup paypal. You can use a normal bank account. Take nothing to set it up for buying. It's getting money out of it that takes time to set up. You just open an account and transfer money into it from your bank. Takes a few minutes - plus the time it takes for the bank to transfer the funds.
Not a lot on Ebay useful to you anyway. If all you want is a clean tone for pedals, there's a Laney Linebacker on there you may want to watch. They aren't great but are very reliable and a better sound than the Peavey.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laney-Linebacker-50-Reverb-Guitar-Amplifier-/330668231241?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item4cfd5cca49#ht_667wt_1398

Checking gumtree now.

Not a sod. The best thing there was Randall's attempt at a JC120. Still, it's only $200 and it isn't a bad amp for cleans. Offer him $150
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-musical-instruments-guitars-guitar-amps-Randall-RG100SC-100-Watt-stereo-chorus-guitar-amplifier-W0QQAdIdZ335864407

Personally I'd pass on both, save my money and keep checking all the time. Something may come up - but you really need more moolah.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 10, 2012,
I have one that doesn't work. And they've got a harsh tone. I tried just about every possible combination of EQ'ing on it, still crap. It stopped working after a year and a half.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III