Melody Makers have always been the cheaper alternative Gibsons. They're not bad. But they're nothing compared to a proper Explorer.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Well, the price is low because it's a maple body, toasted maple fretboard (which some people even prefer to Rosewood), it has only one pickup, probably thinner finish than the more expensive Gibsons and a wraparound brigde.

Which means it requires minimal rooting, wiring, finishing etc., which means less work, which means lower price tag.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Guitar Works here in Canada had many for their Boxing Day door crasher sales @ $499 new.
I looked at them and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole to be honest. Looked and felt like toys compared to my guitars. For that money an Epi LP Standard would kick its ass, really. If you want a low end Gibson this isn't the one to go for IMO.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Guitar Works here in Canada had many for their Boxing Day door crasher sales @ $499 new.
I looked at them and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole to be honest. Looked and felt like toys compared to my guitars. For that money an Epi LP Standard would kick its ass, really. If you want a low end Gibson this isn't the one to go for IMO.

Yeah, but your guitars are Customshops and highest end Gibson USA models.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Yeah, but your guitars are Customshops and highest end Gibson USA models.

That's why I added the Epi is better than these as well! Seriously, they look OK in pics but in person I was really turned off. My Trad BTW is not highest end USA, it's below the Standard and a few other USA models by several hndred dollars.
I would also take a Gibson Studio over these thngs as well.
Then again, the Boxing Day sale also had some Fender Highway One series Strats and Teles for $500 as well that I wasn't overly impressed with.
Moving on.....
They suck, I've played many different models of the Melody Maker. They're not worth the Price Tag. I'd rather buy an Epiphone for the same price that plays a million times better.

The Melody Makers just look cheap.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Of the few I've tried (the LP and Sg ones mind you, not the Explorer or V), I've thought they're okay. You have to have some perspective; obviously if you compare these to another Gibson that costs twice as much and clearly has far more time and money spent on it then yes, these are going to look crap. In fact yes, I'd even say that most Epiphones are better than the ones I've tired, for most people. But if you like all-maple guitars then you don't have many options and the same goes for one-pickup, one-control guitars.

I'm not saying these are good in a general sense, but for what they are they're alright. If what you want is an all-maple, wraparound bridge, single-pickup, single-control guitar then these are made about as well as that sort of thing can be, it's at a price that isn't going to piss off your missus and it'll get the job done. If what you've always dreamed of is a classic Gibson Explorer then obviously this isn't going to cut it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Αctually what I'm looking for is a guitar of similar quality as my V-401.
Maybe with passive pickups this time, haven't decided yet.

But that's another thread. I'll be back. Thanks again!