Stupid question time and should only take one good answer... Is there a lighter gauge of electric guitar string than .09 - .42?
Yes. You can get .008s, but not a lot of people use them. I may be wrong, but I think Billy Giibbons may have used them, and possibly Brian May
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
What ^ said.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
nah, billy wont have used 8s. his tone is too big for em.

I have some old strings from like the 70s and earlier floating around... I may have seen a .7 in there..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. They'll break really easily and slip out of tune quicker than .9s
.8s are doable. However, why do you feel you need thinner strings? You probably just need stronger fingers, which will take a while. I started out with .9 in E, then moved to .10 and loved it. Currently not going doing anything skinnier than .11 in E, and 12-56 for C standard ( in which case I do like a little bit of sloppiness )
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Fingers are plenty strong enough, I had 10's on my G400 but didnt like the sound. Im just looking for a tone and thought maybe a lighter string will produce it. I play a lot of Brian May stuff so yeah I might get some in. For the sake of 10 bux, if skinny E breaks, who cares... I found a video of lost horizon on youtube last night and went looking for the Tab... how come just about all of the Queen and Brian May tabs are dumbed down so much to get just the basic tune instead of being accurate. Bohemian Rhapsody is a good case in point, watch the way May plays it and then look at how its tabbed and its just completely wrong... Ah well... I dont write Tabs yet so I cant complain I guess.
Quote by rocknroll93

He actually does use them. Look up a gear tour on youtube, he uses 8's, and actually kills all treble frequencies.
I think he picks hella-hard, so that might be why his tone is so big sounding.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by rocknroll93

I have some old strings from like the 70s and earlier floating around... I may have seen a .7 in there..

You're right, he doesn't use 8's.

He uses 7's.

Claims BB King told him that heavy strings made you work too hard, and he's been playing light strings every since.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by rocknroll93

LOLWUT?

man this "you need thick strings for good tone" BS is getting so ridiculous that people won't even believe now that tone which was from slinky strings could actually be from them
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
8s are way too loose for me. i have to have alot of tension when i play but you dont mine playing loose shoestrings go for it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Dave_Mc
LOLWUT?

man this "you need thick strings for good tone" BS is getting so ridiculous that people won't even believe now that tone which was from slinky strings could actually be from them

People are retarded for heavy strings because of something SRV said. It was something like, "...I play loud, tune low and use heavy strings..." I don't think anything in the category of light would've survived the opening licks with him.

I love that BB King said that! I'm gonna have to use that the next time someone gives me crap about lighter strings. DR Vintage Blues either 9's or 10's depending on my mood.
Wait, .42? That's almost half a fucking inch. I don't think your neck could handle industrial cable-thick strings.
good spot
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I chucked some 8's on an old dunger which I modded last night out of boredom, which I might start another thread about... and i reckon they are harder to play with because there is so much variation in pitch when you bend a string. Im starting to think all these guys who like 10's and up are lazy with 'strong fingers'...
i can't think of an advantage or reason for doing so. i can imagine myself bending the b string all the way to off the neck spanning four strings and going off of the edge of the fretboard on the bass side.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/