Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

It seems most people go down here
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
They meet the right people.
You play local gigs - meet other bands at them, jam with them, they introduce you to their label etc.

I would say from what I know of my friends who've turned professional/sem-professional since leaving school that 90%+ of their work is from people they have met/played with before.
"you know that bass player who recorded with us when we did that Argos advert? We should get him back in for '20 Rock'n'Roll easter songs'." etc.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Through sucking the right dicks.

I wish I was being wholly metaphorical here.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
By knowing people with connections.

Small side tangent. Most people when finishing college that complain about job hunting didn't really put the effort into making social connections that could lead to careers or opportunities. They thought their little piece of paper would do all the work.
Half of success in any industry is meeting people and not pissing them off.

Seriously, look at a yearbook.

Go to the section with the bands. Jazz, Chorus, Marching, whatever. Look at those faces.

If you are in a big enough school, you stand a reasonable chance of one of them being a successful musician at some point in their lives. Odds are it is not the best musician in the school.

The successful one will be the guy, or girl, who will go out to jam sessions, play at open mike nights, join the rinky dink bands, and do what they can so that moment when they have a shot of making a good impression on that one guy that can get them a recording contract, they don't piss them off.

Everything they do is focused around three things.

1. Not Pissing people off.
2. Meeting people.
3. Learning to play better.

In that order.

Being the best musician, if you haven't noticed yet, is not a requirement for success.

Not pissing people off is.

And yes, after you are successful and playing to packed stadiums, then you can be an asshole to your heart's content.

Meeting people is also critical. I don't care if you live in your mother's basement and wear Cheetos stained t-shirts while you practice. Neither does anyone else. If you want to be successful, go out and play. Try to look presentable. Try to smell clean.

Play in the park.

Play on the sidewalk.

Play anywhere you can, and don't worry if you are meeting the right people while you do that. Everybody knows somebody that knows somebody. If you manage to sound decent and don't piss them off, you will climb the chain of acquaintances until you actually meet the guy who can make or break your career.
The local fast food joint, most likely.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by seabear70

Go to the section with the bands. Jazz, Chorus, Marching, whatever. Look at those faces.

If you are in a big enough school, you stand a reasonable chance of one of them being a successful musician at some point in their lives. Odds are it is not the best musician in the school.

The successful one will be the guy, or girl, who will go out to jam sessions, play at open mike nights, join the rinky dink bands, and do what they can so that moment when they have a shot of making a good impression on that one guy that can get them a recording contract, they don't piss them off.

2. Meeting people.

In that order.

Being the best musician, if you haven't noticed yet, is not a requirement for success.

And yes, after you are successful and playing to packed stadiums, then you can be an asshole to your heart's content.

Meeting people is also critical. I don't care if you live in your mother's basement and wear Cheetos stained t-shirts while you practice. Neither does anyone else. If you want to be successful, go out and play. Try to look presentable. Try to smell clean.

Play in the park.

Play on the sidewalk.

Play anywhere you can, and don't worry if you are meeting the right people while you do that. Everybody knows somebody that knows somebody. If you manage to sound decent and don't piss them off, you will climb the chain of acquaintances until you actually meet the guy who can make or break your career.

Thanks for the serious and decent answer.

Much appreciated.
Quote by seabear70

2. Meeting people.

In that order.

Play in the park.

Play on the sidewalk.

In addition to this, always try and keep in contact with all them. Even if it's a phone call or a jam night once a month, so you stay fresh in their memory. I've had a couple big contracts pass me by because I didn't stay in contact with a few people who said "I thought you would've been busy, it's been a while since we last spoke".
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by LivinJoke84
About waist high on Simon Cowell

Only to realise that Simon Cowell has no penis, only a smooth surface like a Ken doll, which you are then forced to lick and make out with.
Quote by corrda00
Musicians Union. Thats what its called in Canada. You probably have one in the UK.

We do...it's expensive as hell.
Quote by Niiko
In addition to this, always try and keep in contact with all them. Even if it's a phone call or a jam night once a month, so you stay fresh in their memory. I've had a couple big contracts pass me by because I didn't stay in contact with a few people who said "I thought you would've been busy, it's been a while since we last spoke".

Thanks.