I got a call from the local music school, the admin of the school asked me if I could go there to teach the Intial grade for a couple of months. I said yes. I have to teach them how to read sheet music, theory and practical etc.

What would be an effective way to teach how to read sheet music to beginners? Any good resources you would like to share.

I need a good lesson plan.
Help...... O_O

Thanks,
Well, the trick I use to find out which notes are played ( in the G clef atleast!!!):
Between the lines, from low to high, FACE
The lines themselves, from low to high, Every Good Boy Does Football > EGBDF

Works for me!
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
use a book, I teach out of the Alfred book myself but there's a few that all do relatively the same thing, but they are setup differently, see which one you like and just use those examples and methods of explanations
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I would not hire you as a teacher. Many people who will read this will no doubt think that it is a mean thing to say. I'm not saying it to be mean. I'm just being honest and not trying to be mean here, but teaching is an important responsibility. I've been dealing with you since last year, and many times in PM so I'm not coming at this without a supporting background or context.

If you are going to teach regardless, get a clear, easy to read and learn music book for 5-8 year olds, and go through it and make sure that you are able to learn from it yourself, and when you can follow it, mirror that same approach.

As a teacher I cringe when people go to teach that are in no way ready or equipped to do so. You have a lot of learning that you really need to get things straight yourself, my friend. Again, not trying to be mean, but regardless, I hope that what you set out to do, works out for you and the students entrusted to you.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 10, 2012,
I came in here to say what Sean said, judging from your posts and threads I don't think now is the right time for you to teach theory to kids.
Start with Rhythm, very simple rhythms and have them clap them out loud. It inspires confidence and is fun. I Find that starting with learning the notes is not so effective as the students get bored easily or confused. When you do start teaching notes, do them in groups. (A B C) (D E F) then slowly transition to notes with rhythmic values.
Quote by Sean0913
I've been dealing with you since last year, and many times in PM

I think you've mistaken me for someone else. Cause I don't remember getting/sending PM's from/to you.

But yea, guess you're right. I am a substitute until they find a permanent teacher anyway. I can teach the students technique well. I also know Grade 1 theory well. The problem for me is finding a good way to teach them those. :/
Quote by MaddMann274
I think you've mistaken me for someone else. Cause I don't remember getting/sending PM's from/to you.

But yea, guess you're right. I am a substitute until they find a permanent teacher anyway. I can teach the students technique well. I also know Grade 1 theory well. The problem for me is finding a good way to teach them those. :/

Didn't you have a Les Paul looking guitar, send some YouTube videos (as I recall you were into Guns and Roses) for me to evaluate and have me mentor you for a while? If not, then I have the wrong person, and I apologize.

Furthermore, I retract all my comments about you being ready to teach, in the chance that I do have you confused with someone else I dealt with in PM. As for the interation in the forums on here, I do think you need a lot of work, but I'd also been seeing you (if youre not that guy) in the light of "what on earth is he doing trying to work on all that for when he doesn't even have the basics down?" recently.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by Sean0913
Didn't you have a Les Paul looking guitar, send some YouTube videos (as I recall you were into Guns and Roses) for me to evaluate and have me mentor you for a while? If not, then I have the wrong person, and I apologize.

Furthermore, I retract all my comments about you being ready to teach, in the chance that I do have you confused with someone else I dealt with in PM. As for the interation in the forums on here, I do think you need a lot of work, but I'd also been seeing you (if youre not that guy) in the light of "what on earth is he doing trying to work on all that for when he doesn't even have the basics down?" recently.

Best,

Sean

That is definately NOT me.
Apology excepted.
Indeed, I do need a lot of work, that's why am asking for tips.
Wait, what was that last part you said?
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Jan 10, 2012,
Well, the obvious thing to do here is use a method book. That way you have a structure and plans a few weeks in advance. You'll obviously need to really get into the course and know it inside out before you teach it, on you go.
I just remember where C G B D E G and A are, starting with a ledgar line below the E to the first ledgar line above the stave.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!