Hey guys!
I'm planning on buying a 7-string guitar.
Today i went to the only shop in Estonia, that has a 7-stringer. It was a Schecter Damien. And i started wondering...

The tone i heard therewas absolutely shit. I put it through a decent amp, but the tone of the guitar sounded much worse than what I hoped for. It sounded very metaly. I suspect it was due to the fact that the 7th string was pretty fat and new. I'm not looking for a metaly tone, but a fat juicy tone. I was wondering that if I'd have a thinner 7th string, and the strings were abit old, maybe the tone wouldnt be so metaly?

A few examples of the tone im looking for:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBjNmGW1Z_8
2) In this one you can hear the desired tone @ 0:11 - 0:18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8kjarvKweQ&feature=related

This is what i'm looking for. It's not metally, it's fat and juicy!!!

Hope I expressed myself clearly, and i hope you guys can help
Thanks a bunch :>
-IbzIbzbzbbz
If it was overly 'metallic' and buzzy the action may have been set too low causing the string to vibrate across the the higher frets.

Generally a thicker string fattens out the sound more, making it more defined sounding.

When you say a decent amp, describe what it was. Amps carry a lot more characteristics than a guitar when it comes to the sound. If you ran it through a Spider, MG, or pretty much any crappy practice amp with a 10" or under speaker you'll have the infamous static like buzzsaw tone, regardless of the guitar.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
If it was overly 'metallic' and buzzy the action may have been set too low causing the string to vibrate across the the higher frets.

Generally a thicker string fattens out the sound more, making it more defined sounding.

When you say a decent amp, describe what it was. Amps carry a lot more characteristics than a guitar when it comes to the sound. If you ran it through a Spider, MG, or pretty much any crappy practice amp with a 10" or under speaker you'll have the infamous static like buzzsaw tone, regardless of the guitar.

It was the most decent amp in the store I told them I want to put this through your most decent amp, not some Roland cube, because i'm serious about buying. So they took me seriously. To be honest, i don't know what amp it was :/

I'm not sure about the action. Perhaps it was too low, i dont know.

But is there anything else that could have made it sound not the way i would like it?
Bad pickups? playing it wrong? Or is that how all the 7-stringers sound unless you have million dollar equipment? :/
Quote by Ibarshall_X
It was the most decent amp in the store I told them I want to put this through your most decent amp, not some Roland cube, because i'm serious about buying. So they took me seriously. To be honest, i don't know what amp it was :/

I'm not sure about the action. Perhaps it was too low, i dont know.

But is there anything else that could have made it sound not the way i would like it?
Bad pickups? playing it wrong? Or is that how all the 7-stringers sound unless you have million dollar equipment? :/

Iirc, the damien only comes with duncan designed pickups, which aren't the best pickups out there. You should look up some Ibanez's (RG7321, RGA7, RG7421, RG7621, RG7620) because they're great guitars, and sound freaking awesome once you give them a new set of pickups (maybe the d-sonic/air norton sound, as IIRC, Sfogli uses them?)

I don't think you'll need super expensive gear to get a good sound, just something decent IMO. IIRC, Sfogli does also play through an Axe Fx.

This is a short clip I recorded when I first got my Eleven Rack.

http://soundcloud.com/eddyz-quan/tuscany

I play a RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire combo. I like to think the tone I used in this clip is half decent, but you can be the judge.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
Iirc, the damien only comes with duncan designed pickups, which aren't the best pickups out there. You should look up some Ibanez's (RG7321, RGA7, RG7421, RG7621, RG7620) because they're great guitars, and sound freaking awesome once you give them a new set of pickups (maybe the d-sonic/air norton sound, as IIRC, Sfogli uses them?)

I don't think you'll need super expensive gear to get a good sound, just something decent IMO. IIRC, Sfogli does also play through an Axe Fx.

This is a short clip I recorded when I first got my Eleven Rack.

http://soundcloud.com/eddyz-quan/tuscany

I play a RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire combo. I like to think the tone I used in this clip is half decent, but you can be the judge.

You play a solo in the clip. What i am interested is the rhythm tone at the lower strings.
I'll take a look at what pickups Sfogli uses. I know that he uses the Axe Fx, it just so happens that i started collecting money for that awesome piece of gear :P
to be honest, it was probably the fact that it was a new string or maybe the treble was too high and not enough bass on the amp. or any odd EQ where it wouldn't give a good bass response. then again, the Damiens come with EMG hz's which aren't quite that great. if you can, get a damien Elite. those come with active EMG's.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I did some research.
Marco uses a Dimarzio D Sonic pickup @ the bridge on his 7-strings.

I have a pretty low budget, so i thought maybe buy an ESP LTD SC-207 for 440 euros and then the pickup for 90 (on thomann) ?
Most tone comes from the pickup of the guitar right? (amp excluded)
Then I'd have to do some string experimenting :P