As I've been starting to learn more about recording and songwriting lately, I've been trying to listen to what I'll call "great albums and bands". While the music I try to write and make seems to tilt towards blues rock or punk most of the time, I've been trying to keep open ears towards everything I can. I've listened to Tommy, Exile on Main Street, What's Going On (Marvin Gaye), Pet Sounds, and tons of other albums from a bunch of genres to try and assimilate some more musical knowledge.

Then a friend referred me to Radiohead. Now, I've been on the web for a while, and I've read Rolling Stone, so I know that the music world has a collective boner for these guys. I felt like I should give the albums Ok Computer and Kid A a chance, but my initial impressions to Radiohead have been lukewarm at best.

I'm asking for an explanation because I feel like I must be missing something. Everywhere I look, I see that Radiohead is one of the greatest bands of all time, yet I find them to be kind of annoying. Maybe it's just not my taste in music, because I tend to gravitate towards electric blues, 60s/70s classic rock, punk, and overdriven guitar rock, so I figure that the few songs I checked out just must not have fallen into that range.

A little help here? Recently, I made an ass of myself around my roommate and his buddies, because when asked about Radiohead, I said I didn't like them. If I can look them, that's cool. But if I can't, how do I defend myself against allegations that my music taste sucks?
....Is this really an issue? You're allowed to have a different musical opinion. No matter how wrong it may be
Firstly, a large number of people liking something you don't doesn't make you an idiot.

On to Radiohead, if you're into Hendrix and Zeppelin and the like, you can't force yourself to like Radiohead. OK Computer and Kid A are largely draining listens as whole albums, and I can understand why you didn't like them at first listen. I love Radiohead, and they're probably my favourite band, but I didn't like OK Computer the first time I heard it (it was the first album I ever bought). I suggest you listen to In Rainbows, you might like that. Then work yourself backwards in their catalogue.

Once again, noone decides what's shit and what's not. Radiohead are talented musicians, but their music may appeal to some people (in this case most) and it may not appeal to some people.
Quote by b_80_h
how do I defend myself against allegations that my music taste sucks?

Grow some balls and be proud of your opinion?

Personally i think Radiohead are great but i don't look down on anyone who doesn't like them. Whoever doe's do that is not worth your time.
Do You Want To See My Cotton Panties?
I've never liked Radiohead either, my favorite band is Muse and they're always associated with Radiohead. Sure Matt and Thom both have higher voices but I've never heard a similarity musically, I can't get into them either. Dump your friends, I'm your new friend now.
Remember the old adage about the horse and the trough? You're the horse in this case... You can't force yourself to like everything. That's the reason there's so much musical diversity. While I applaud your open mind, music shouldn't be treated like a buffet that you can gorge yourself on. You'll like some stuff, you'll love other stuff, and there's some music that not even a thousand years of repeated listening could grow on you.

Relating to Radiohead, I hate their new stuff. It's just music that rides on the coattails of their 90's success. To me it's just music pretentious quasi-critics applaud just so you'll take them seriously. The Bends, Pablo Honey, Kid A, some of OK Computer, is the only Radiohead material I like. Before it became digitized and manufactured. Check out the first two records
They have the dumbest song titles I've ever seen in my life.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
If you don't like Radiohead, then tell them that. I think OK Computer is the single most overrated album in history, and I'm really not a fan of the band as a whole save one or two songs. Many, many people will disagree with me. But then you can have debates over your music tastes, and that's why opinions are fuuuuuuun.

Anyway, as the guy above says, what you have to do is grow some balls and tell them why THEY'RE wrong.
Last edited by raoooos at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by akack
Firstly, a large number of people liking something you don't doesn't make you an idiot.

On to Radiohead, if you're into Hendrix and Zeppelin and the like, you can't force yourself to like Radiohead. OK Computer and Kid A are largely draining listens as whole albums, and I can understand why you didn't like them at first listen. I love Radiohead, and they're probably my favourite band, but I didn't like OK Computer the first time I heard it (it was the first album I ever bought). I suggest you listen to In Rainbows, you might like that. Then work yourself backwards in their catalogue.

Once again, noone decides what's shit and what's not. Radiohead are talented musicians, but their music may appeal to some people (in this case most) and it may not appeal to some people.

I like Hendrix and Zeppelin, but I tend to sway more towards older AC/DC and the Rolling Stones. I like the raw feeling that seems to come with a lot of classic rock, and I think that's my main beef with Radiohead. They seem soulless to me, I guess. Their music comes off to me as atmospheric and draining, and I just don't look for that when I listen. No offense to Radiohead fans, but I think the ones I've run into are like the John Mayer fans who make me embarrassed to listen to him even though I really appreciate his live work.

Quote by SumFX
Grow some balls and be proud of your opinion?

I'm not saying I'm afraid to have opinion. I'm saying that I'm a proud asshole who doesn't like to use "well, I have a right to opinion" as a statement in an argument... lol

Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
They have the dumbest song titles I've ever seen in my life.

No, that goes to Fall Out Boy.
It took me forever to like them. They grow on you.

But definitely listen to In Rainbows like 5 times. And don't expect straight up guitar rock.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I like OK Computer & Kid A, but I never got the hype around them being one of the best bands ever or anything. I mean, OK Computer is good, but it's not like "zomg best album ever" status, and Kid A is good, but I feel like if any other band put it out no one would really care about it as much. It's just 'cuz it's Radiohead & everyone's like "whoah, man, they totally switched gears, how amazing!"

I dunno man, like, they're a good band & they've got good songs, but they've never blown my mind or won my heart.
Quote by b_80_h
I like the raw feeling that seems to come with a lot of classic rock, and I think that's my main beef with Radiohead. They seem soulless to me, I guess.

>complaining about soulless music
>listens to classic rock

wat
Quote by b_80_h
They seem soulless to me, I guess. Their music comes off to me as atmospheric and draining,

I'm not saying I'm afraid to have opinion. I'm saying that I'm a proud asshole who doesn't like to use "well, I have a right to opinion" as a statement in an argument... lol

Why on Earth would you get in an 'argument' about music anyway?, your opinion (as with everyone elses) is hardly going to change anyones mind. At the end of the day it's all opinions. I could argue that Radiohead have loads of 'soulfull' music with lots of 'feeling' but will me just saying that change your mind about them being 'soulless' and 'atmospheric and draining'? Chances are, no.
And your opinion of them being too clinical or soulless doesn't change my mind that I think Radiohead have many 'soulfull' tracks.

I'm not digging at you or anything but arguing about opinions is stupid, it's just a step away from treading 'you're mum' or 'you're gay' territory.
Do You Want To See My Cotton Panties?
Last edited by SumFX at Jan 10, 2012,
Yeah, dude, "soulful" is like a totally arbitrary qualifier. I mean, how do ya measure it? Songs like "Let Down" & "How to Disappear Completely" (to name a couple off the tippy-top of my head) seem pretty "soulful" to me, more so than some classic rock staples like, say, "Pinball Wizard". "Soul" probably isn't what you're lookin' for.
Quote by SumFX
Why on Earth would you get in an 'argument' about music anyway?, your opinion (as with everyone elses) is hardly going to change anyones mind. At the end of the day it's all opinions. I could argue that Radiohead have loads of 'soulfull' music with lots of 'feeling' but will me just saying that change your mind about them being 'soulless' and 'atmospheric and draining'? Chances are, no.
And your opinion of them being too clinical or soulless doesn't change my mind that I think Radiohead have many 'soulfull' tracks.

I'm not digging at you or anything but arguing about opinions is stupid, it's just a step away from treading 'you're mum' or 'you're gay' territory.

That's fairly true. I usually love talking about music with people, because I have a fairly wide palette of stuff I like. I was raised on hair metal (think about THAT for soulless), and I slowly grew into a fan of rock, blues, jazz, and all sorts of things.

I'll need to make a point to avoid these charged situations though. It's like trying to talk music with a young metalhead who hates everything played below 160 beats per minute... No point in reasoning, so just find some other common ground.

Also, because you posted it here...
YOUR MOTHER.

BAM! I have made discourse.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Yeah, dude, "soulful" is like a totally arbitrary qualifier. I mean, how do ya measure it? Songs like "Let Down" & "How to Disappear Completely" (to name a couple off the tippy-top of my head) seem pretty "soulful" to me, more so than some classic rock staples like, say, "Pinball Wizard". "Soul" probably isn't what you're lookin' for.

I think I'll have to give you that.

I'm probably just more sensitive to "grooves" in songs, so I'll pay really close attention to rhythm guitar and bass in a song, and I've even gotten mesmerized by a good drum beat (I love me some Charlie Watts and Keith Moon). I didn't "feel" one, per say, and that's really important to me. Guess I need to find something else...

I know I've seen this pop up at least once among the replies, but is In Rainbows the place to start with Radiohead? I'm trying to think of a good music analogy, but I can't come up with one at the moment.
Quote by bradulator
It took me forever to like them. They grow on you.

But definitely listen to In Rainbows like 5 times. And don't expect straight up guitar rock.

This. In Rainbows was the first I got into (make sure you watch the In the Basement they did for In Rainbows too, it helps), and it took me months of listening to it sporadically to like anything other than Bodysnatchers. But when the light bulb finally goes off, it's amazing.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Yeah, if you want to get into them, I suggest in Rainbows. But if you don't like them it's alright. I'm a huge fanboy, but everyone can have their opinions you know. But I'm offended that you said there was no groove! Colin (bass) and Phil (drums) are amazing musicians and they're groovy as shit!
Quote by simpro14.5
Yeah, if you want to get into them, I suggest in Rainbows. But if you don't like them it's alright. I'm a huge fanboy, but everyone can have their opinions you know. But I'm offended that you said there was no groove! Colin (bass) and Phil (drums) are amazing musicians and they're groovy as shit!

That may just be differing definitions of "groove"

As I'm recognizing, it's a pretty subjective concept.
I think you should definitely check out The Bends - it's their best album to me and their rockiest one too. It still sounds very modern though, they don't really have any songs that tie into your 60s/70s tastes.

As for groove, try these two out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgeKRbmUBns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kk6qmI-Zxc
Or, you can just not listen to them. Either or. You gave it a shot and you didn't like them, at least you made an informed opinion.

There's very little to "get" about Radiohead; they're hardly a complicated or inaccessible band.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
This has probably been mentioned already, but their first two are probably more easily digested than Kid A especially.
The first time I heard Kid A my mind was actually blown. I had never heard music like it and the atmosphere it created in my head was just eargasmic. I don't know what it was, maybe it was because it was in the background and after the first track I was like, woah, and listening to the entire album all the way through.

Honestly one of my favourite albums and experiences.
Honestly, I've never been able to get into them either. They seem good, but I just don't seem to get it either. I've tried In Rainbows and OK Computer, I might give Kid A a shot soon.
Just go listen to King Crimson. Start from the first album and work your way through. They're everything Radiohead wishes they were and more.
Last edited by wafflesyrup at Jan 14, 2012,
There just like mellow spaced out indie rock. I'm not the biggest fan either, but I can see why some people like them.
Last edited by AlienLizardKing at Jan 15, 2012,
Nothing to explain. They are a terrible band aimed at the older hipster crowd.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
The first time I heard Kid A my mind was actually blown. I had never heard music like it and the atmosphere it created in my head was just eargasmic. I don't know what it was, maybe it was because it was in the background and after the first track I was like, woah, and listening to the entire album all the way through.

Honestly one of my favourite albums and experiences.

Since I've been learning production lately, I'm training my ears to catch more things musically, so I'm now at least appreciating what they've done in terms of musical spread. Further listens will reveal more I guess
Radiohead are a very diverse band, Kid A for example has alot of electronic elements in it, which is probably something you don't like considering you being into classic rock.
OK Computer has that too but a bit less.

Their earlier albums (Pablo Honey, The Bends) are modern rock albums with some experimental sounds here and there, they aren't as well liked by most of their fanbase for some reason though.

I personaly like Radiohead mostly for their slow, emotional songs like
Codex (from The King of Limbs)
Nude (from In Rainbows)

Because that's just where Thoms voice fits best..

Also a big reason I support Radiohead is because of their effort to find their own unique soud, and also not being afraid to try new things out which is something everyone should atleast appreaciate, especially in this day and age of music.

Quote by SumFX

Arguments are more than just exchanging opinions.
You can actually discuss music on a relatively objective level.

Saying that you find the music "soulfull" doesn't change someones opinion, but if you actually explain what makes you think so, you might change the way you're friend listens to the music.
I didn't like OK Computer either but then I was told to pay more attention to the lyrics and the athmosphere while keeping the overall theme (society turning people into robots) of the album in mind and now I like it.

And that's what OP's asking for...
He doesn't want to stay at the "I like that/I hate that" level, he wants to understand the music and why so many people like it.

Quote by nashawa
Or, you can just not listen to them. Either or. You gave it a shot and you didn't like them, at least you made an informed opinion.

He didn't really yet...
The only thing he figured out was that he doesn't like Radiohead, but unless you can figure out exactly why you don't like something you don't really have an "informed opinion".
Listen to Ok Computer. If you don't like their music, then you don't like their music. It's a matter of personal taste.
Quote by wafflesyrup
Just go listen to King Crimson. Start from the first album and work your way through. They're everything Radiohead wishes they were and more.

As both a KC fan and Radiohead fan, I have to say this is, even in jest, stupid.
Quote by 505088K

He didn't really yet...
The only thing he figured out was that he doesn't like Radiohead, but unless you can figure out exactly why you don't like something you don't really have an "informed opinion".

I'd argue that as knowing the reason you dislike something isn't particularly useful. It's possible to just dislike something about the music without being able to pinpoint it, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. He made an informed opinion because he made an effort to listen and couldn't take away anything positive from it. Is that not good enough for you?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I like Radiohead, but yeah, as others have said, if you're into straight up guitar rock, Radiohead probably isn't your thing.

Sidenote- Creep is a terrible, terrible song.
Quote by nashawa
I'd argue that as knowing the reason you dislike something isn't particularly useful. It's possible to just dislike something about the music without being able to pinpoint it, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. He made an informed opinion because he made an effort to listen and couldn't take away anything positive from it. Is that not good enough for you?

Well I think it is pretty useful to try to pinpoint the reasons you don't like something, mostly because you can learn a lot about your own taste and thus actually gain something from it even if you didn't like the album.
Else the 2 hours he spend listening to 2 albums he didn't like would just be wasted time.
It just helps you to be more aware on your own preferences, which is always helpful -especially as a musician!

Of course you are right when you say that he has an informed opinion after informing himself what Radiohead is like after giving them a good listen.
I just say that he still might want to listen to it more, adding more depth and clarity to his opinion, which helps him understanding music and also himself better.
Quote by 505088K
Well I think it is pretty useful to try to pinpoint the reasons you don't like something, mostly because you can learn a lot about your own taste and thus actually gain something from it even if you didn't like the album.
Else the 2 hours he spend listening to 2 albums he didn't like would just be wasted time.
It just helps you to be more aware on your own preferences, which is always helpful -especially as a musician!

Of course you are right when you say that he has an informed opinion after informing himself what Radiohead is like after giving them a good listen.
I just say that he still might want to listen to it more, adding more depth and clarity to his opinion, which helps him understanding music and also himself better.

This be purdy good, I tell you wut.

I always try to listen to an album all the way through and if I'm liking what I hear I tend to listen to it another time and understand it better.

I've seen the hype of Imaginaerum and a few days ago decided to look into the album and see what all dat fuss was about. I realize I didn't enjoy it because the song structure was composed like the majority of Kamelot's work, that isn't a bad thing but Anette vocal's really didn't fit that structure and would've sounded far better with Khan. The guitar tone was boring to me and sounded like a dry version of Dominia's tone on Divine Revolution as well as all of the orchestral sections sounding like the same 2 Russian/Eastern Asian pieces.

Those are just a few things I found wrong with the album, all because I listened to it attentively.
The Bends is the best way to start if you're into straight rock. The problem for TS is that Radiohead barely has blues-influences (with elements like swing- rhythm, blues solo's), and that's what TS is probably looking for. They are much closer to The Smiths, Can, Talk Talk and Joy Division than Led Zeppelin and Cream. They listened to what we would call post-punk and krautrock and started to play in their vein. They have some jazz and soul influenced songs, like Life in a Glasshouse and House of Cards.

I think a good order to get into them would be:

(optionial skipping of Pablo Honey)
The Bends
In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief

This is to get into them. But it's up to you, you don't have to like them.

/music doctor elitist mode
Last edited by niqolaise at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by 505088K

This is probably the most roundabout way to become a person who blindly dismisses music.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!