I just found this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgqZpQgUZs&feature=related

It's a metronome that starts out at 50 bpm and adds 1 bpm every 8 beats. To me it seems like a great way of improving fast licks and to help play more accurately. But I was wondering if this would have negative effects like making you speed up whenever you try to hold a steady beat. So I'm asking if it would be a good idea to train with this regularly or if it would just create bad habits.

Thanks in advance.
It's a stupid idea.

The whole point of a metronome is to keep a steady beat, it's not something to "race".

Things take as long as long as they take, you can't force yourself to get better and certainly 1bpm every 8 beats is nowhere near enough time for you to be sure that you've nailed something and are playing it consistently.

Speed takes weeks and months to build, not a few minutes, and the further up the scale you go the harder and longer you have to work for ever diminishing returns.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^
This.

Metronomes are only useful because they're an unflagging tempo reminder. If it's constantly increasing, it's not doing it's job.
It would be better to start at a low bpm then increase when you're comfortable at that speed then increase the bpm gradually as you become comfortable at each speed. I'm new to guitar, but 4 years of violin in elementary school and 2 years of playing rock band taught me that. Start slow, then when you're ready increase speed. That +1 bpm every 8 beats thing isn't going to help.
+1

Trying to play too quickly for one's level of technique usually results in practicing sloppy, crappy-sounding tone. Why train to play with inferior technique?

And this is coming from somebody who wishes he could play a lot faster!
Quote by socrfb
It would be better to start at a low bpm then increase when you're comfortable at that speed then increase the bpm gradually as you become comfortable at each speed. I'm new to guitar, but 4 years of violin in elementary school and 2 years of playing rock band taught me that. Start slow, then when you're ready increase speed. That +1 bpm every 8 beats thing isn't going to help.

If you're new to guitar and you stick to this you'll go far, fair play to you.

TS: If you want to slowly increase your BPM (e.g. playing an exercise from 25% to 75% of your max) then do it in blocks - Play at (for example) 60bpm for a couple of minutes, then push up to 65bpm and so on. This is for when you're playing well under your max speed by the way, once you get close to it or you feel tense (or pain etc...) you've gone too far and you need to slow down again.
Is the program guitar speed not a good product then as this gets you to go past what you can play and then come back down to a comfortable speed gotta say next day after using it i feel like my picking is so much better..
But this goes up to 11
Thanks a lot for your answers. I feel like accuracy is a top priority so I will stick to the steady beat of a regular metronome.