Hi...

So i have been talking about it for a year, and now i've finally got it It's a 1979 Hagström Super Swede. I played this guitar in a shop when i first moved to bristol, and immediately fell in love with it - went back to buy it a couple of weeks later and it was gone

anyway, long story short, that shop moved across the street, and somehow the guitar ended up beloning to the shop owner again (in his personal collection, not on sale in the shop), and one day he said to me "are you interested in buying an old hagstrom? i have one that i don't really want to part with but i need the money". when he brought it into the shop i recognised it immediately!

and now it's mine

crappy webcam shots:

and a couple more from the shop:

Mandatory Review:

Well, i'll start off by saying this guitar is nothing like the reissues - i'm actually left speechless about certain qualities that this guitar has.

It's all-mahogany with an ebony fingerboard - pancake body construction and two piece laminate neck. This was basically hagstrom's answer to the gibson les paul custom. What sets it apart from a gibson, though, is the 25.5" scale length, zero fret, roller bridge, teh koil tapz, and a unique tailpiece where each string is slotted through it's own individual steel block. Not really visible in the pictures are the little white dot inlays positioned next to the control knobs that act as a position marker - similar to those metal pointers gibson used to use except you can't spear your finger on an inlay.

the action can be set absurdly low before there's any audible buzz or fretting out. the neck is substancially thick but not really like a baseball bat or anything - somewhere in the middle i'd say - it reminds me of my gretsch 5120 neck profile a little bit. It's a great playing guitar to say the least - access to the upper frets isn't the best, but it's not really any better on my les paul either. And it just feels astonishingly solid and well built - i can't really think how to describe the build quality - i think i'll use the swedish car comparison and say, it's built like a volvo!

The sound is probably the hardest thing to describe - every note rings out very cleanly and clearly, across the whole fretboard, and the open strings sound the same as the fretted strings thanks to the zero fret. It also has unbelievable natural sustain. the pickups are highly responsive to playing dynamics, they look like PAFs but they sound a bit more like mini-humbuckers to me. so much of the detail of the string's vibration is picked up and amplified by both pickups. In single coil mode, you get an enormous drop in output and the sound thins out a bit but not too much - it's a decent, if a little low output, approximation of a single coil tone, which is usable, but my tele isn't redundant just yet.

I don't think i've done a good job of the review because i'm a bit lost for words - i'm very happy with this guitar though - well, it needs a little bit of work as the electronics are a bit noisy and the frets feel a bit rough in a couple of places, but this is a normal thing for a guitar this age. It just goes to show that you should never judge a guitar by the name on the headstock. I never took hagstrom seriously until i played this guitar
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
HNGD! Looks good!
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice one!

One of my current "dream guitars" is a Les Paul Custom, so I approve this.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
That is fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
My friend has an Hagstrom (not quite as nice as yours) and they're epic guitars for the price
Awesome buy! It's sad that Hagströms aren't made in sweden anymore, not sure how the MIC ones are holding up..
Quote by simpro14.5
My friend has an Hagstrom (not quite as nice as yours) and they're epic guitars for the price

probably a reissue? they seem pretty good, especially considering the price, i haven't seen too many of them around though. i'm curious to see what this new "northern series" thing is about though.

Quote by Wisthekiller
Still looks like an ugly Les Paul knockoff to me...

HNGD!

not sure if it can be classed as a knockoff since back in the day it cost about as much as a gibson les paul, and it's actually better than a lot of late '70s gibsons i've played
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Excellent looking. I love the natural wood finish.

Congrats!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by kirigoe
Awesome buy! It's sad that Hagströms aren't made in sweden anymore, not sure how the MIC ones are holding up..

the chinese models seem pretty good as far as affordable chinese guitars go - i'd say they are comparable to the chinese made gretsch guitars, only with better quality hardware.

they do have a new line of guitars they are promoting on the website now called the northern series, which seems like they might be making them in sweden again.

http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=category&Itemid=46

Quote by Blompcube
the chinese models seem pretty good as far as affordable chinese guitars go - i'd say they are comparable to the chinese made gretsch guitars, only with better quality hardware.

they do have a new line of guitars they are promoting on the website now called the northern series, which seems like they might be making them in sweden again.

http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=category&Itemid=46

Any idea how much they are going to cost?

Looks like the Northen Swede would be a nice Les Paul Custom alternative.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Any idea how much they are going to cost?

Looks like the Northen Swede would be a nice Les Paul Custom alternative.

not sure tbh, they don't seem to be on sale yet.

Quote by Blompcube
Hi...

So i have been talking about it for a year, and now i've finally got it It's a 1979 Hagström Super Swede. I played this guitar in a shop when i first moved to bristol, and immediately fell in love with it - went back to buy it a couple of weeks later and it was gone

anyway, long story short, that shop moved across the street, and somehow the guitar ended up beloning to the shop owner again (in his personal collection, not on sale in the shop), and one day he said to me "are you interested in buying an old hagstrom? i have one that i don't really want to part with but i need the money". when he brought it into the shop i recognised it immediately!

and now it's mine

crappy webcam shots:

and a couple more from the shop:

Mandatory Review:

Well, i'll start off by saying this guitar is nothing like the reissues - i'm actually left speechless about certain qualities that this guitar has.

It's all-mahogany with an ebony fingerboard - pancake body construction and two piece laminate neck. This was basically hagstrom's answer to the gibson les paul custom. What sets it apart from a gibson, though, is the 25.5" scale length, zero fret, roller bridge, teh koil tapz, and a unique tailpiece where each string is slotted through it's own individual steel block. Not really visible in the pictures are the little white dot inlays positioned next to the control knobs that act as a position marker - similar to those metal pointers gibson used to use except you can't spear your finger on an inlay.

the action can be set absurdly low before there's any audible buzz or fretting out. the neck is substancially thick but not really like a baseball bat or anything - somewhere in the middle i'd say - it reminds me of my gretsch 5120 neck profile a little bit. It's a great playing guitar to say the least - access to the upper frets isn't the best, but it's not really any better on my les paul either. And it just feels astonishingly solid and well built - i can't really think how to describe the build quality - i think i'll use the swedish car comparison and say, it's built like a volvo!

The sound is probably the hardest thing to describe - every note rings out very cleanly and clearly, across the whole fretboard, and the open strings sound the same as the fretted strings thanks to the zero fret. It also has unbelievable natural sustain. the pickups are highly responsive to playing dynamics, they look like PAFs but they sound a bit more like mini-humbuckers to me. so much of the detail of the string's vibration is picked up and amplified by both pickups. In single coil mode, you get an enormous drop in output and the sound thins out a bit but not too much - it's a decent, if a little low output, approximation of a single coil tone, which is usable, but my tele isn't redundant just yet.

I don't think i've done a good job of the review because i'm a bit lost for words - i'm very happy with this guitar though - well, it needs a little bit of work as the electronics are a bit noisy and the frets feel a bit rough in a couple of places, but this is a normal thing for a guitar this age. It just goes to show that you should never judge a guitar by the name on the headstock. I never took hagstrom seriously until i played this guitar

Makes me proud to be 1/4 Swede!