Link

was considering getting one of these amps with matching cab as shown here

question: being only 5W will the clean volume level be decently audible in a living room? or will it be a bit on the quiet side??? ok granted i have a Zvex Super hard on (clone) built by badgerific so would that make it louder and clean or louder and distorted/overdriven?

help would be appreciated!

i'm after a fairly cheap-ish tube/valve amp that can give me a nice clean sound, absolute maximum budget of £200 but prefer to keep it down if possible.

hence why i'm looking at the kustom defender head & cab

current gear if you need to know:

amps:
Vox VT50
Fender G-dec jnr.

Effects:
ZVex SHO [boost]
EHX Small Clone [chorus
Digitech Screamin' Blues [overdrive]
MXR M108 10-band [EQ]
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips 7-band [EQ]
Vox V847 [Wah]
Digitech Whammy [pitch shift]
Marshall the guv'nor [distortion]

Guitars:
Fender Classic Player 60's strat
Fender CD60 acoustic
my own build "Black1.5" strat
Ibanez GRG170DX
Dean Vendeffa 2F camo
Yamaha SG700S

and musical influences/stuff i like to play:

John Mayer
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pink Floyd

and the occasional:

white stripes
rush
muse

cheers guys!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
i read it breaks up pretty quick. i myself wanted one of these but was worried it wouldnt do the metal I like.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It'll be plenty loud enough. You wouldn't be wanting to keep up with a drummer but by itself in your living room it will be fine.
The Zvex won't make it louder and stay clean. It will drive the preamp tube harder and get it distorting more too. Normally most of your distortion would be coming from running the output tube harder, the Zvex will add some more preamp distortion to the equation as well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Take a look at the VHT Special 6 as well if you get a chance. I have the combo, and it will definitely have enough headroom for home use. It gets pretty loud before breaking up. I think it would be a much better fit based on your style of music.
Quote by romeozdistress
i read it breaks up pretty quick. i myself wanted one of these but was worried it wouldnt do the metal I like.

hmm, last thing i want is it breaking up at insignificant volumes :/
I would take a look into blackstar as well, they make some pretty decent amps, more on the hard rock/metal side though. I've heard good things about jet city and blackheart as well, but I have no personal experience with those. Vox is always good to look at. They make some small wattage heads that are pretty inexpensive.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
the new vox ac4 head and cab are better 4 the money
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Quote by Cathbard
It'll be plenty loud enough. You wouldn't be wanting to keep up with a drummer but by itself in your living room it will be fine.
The Zvex won't make it louder and stay clean. It will drive the preamp tube harder and get it distorting more too. Normally most of your distortion would be coming from running the output tube harder, the Zvex will add some more preamp distortion to the equation as well.

+1

though as zl1288 says, the vht special 6 might be more aimed at cleans (i dunno, i haven't tried the kustom, but i'm guessing that's the case).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had one. It's not a bad amp but it's loud, friggin loud. Not safe for apartments.

One fella did an RMS test on it, 4 to 16 watts. You can't play it quietly but it jams when you want to.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
I had one. It's not a bad amp but it's loud, friggin loud. Not safe for apartments.

One fella did an RMS test on it, 4 to 16 watts. You can't play it quietly but it jams when you want to.

any metal capabilities?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
any metal capabilities?

Not without the pedal and it won't take pedals kindly. I think the input of the amp (or the first stage) is very sensitive. A resistor swap can make the amp more usable.

I swapped the preamp tube to a 12AY7 which reduced the gain quite a bit but made it a bit sterile. That could work with the pedal then but I didn't try it. I decided I didn't want to mess with it and sold it.

As it is it sounds pretty damn good but loud. It's a surprising amp. I had mine on my 1x12 and my 4x12. It drove those speakers good.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by jjbarnes
I would take a look into blackstar as well, they make some pretty decent amps, more on the hard rock/metal side though. I've heard good things about jet city and blackheart as well, but I have no personal experience with those. Vox is always good to look at. They make some small wattage heads that are pretty inexpensive.

got a vox, want something different just to be difficult

and blackstar are a bit higher gain than i wanted, i play blues and other such clean stuff not *generic* core
Quote by TheFUBAR
the new vox ac4 head and cab are better 4 the money

will have a look into that but budget might restrict that :/

edit: just had a very quick look on online shops and it looks like i could get the head and cab for about £220 combined... will keep scouring!
you could always save your money. cant expect much with that budget.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ i dunno. i mean the vht special 6 is quite nice (granted a speaker and valve swap helps a lot).

^^ i'd probably get a different cab... i could be wrong but i think the vox cab is particleboard or mdf or similar guff. you can get ply cabs for pretty cheap (e.g. valve junior cab or vht cabs) but a lot of the cheaper ones aren't ply.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?