Page 1 of 3
British UG'ers, the High Speed Railway has been approved by government today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16494354

Are you for or against it?

I disagree with it. I live in a village which the railway will cut straight through. There's a pig farm here that supplies the whole country with pork, which will have a massive train line through it!

We already have a high speed network (the 3rd best in the world) and I don't think spending £36 billion on it when we're in such debt is justifiable.

I can already get to London in less than an hour and I'm 20 miles north of Birmingham. Is 1hr 22 really that long a time to get there?

Opinions pit?
No to HS2 for me. It's an expensive waste of money, I'm from London Borough of Hillingdon (which will be effected by the HS2 line) and just think it is a stupid expense.
We Canadians get ****ed over relatively light compared to you guys and the Americans in these hard times, huh?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Not needed at all. I don't care how long the train takes now. Gives me a chance to relax.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

lol conservatives.

Cutting money on police and wanting to cut money for NHS. Made uni fees more expensive.
Want to spend money on a mostly unnecessary rail line.

Where's the logic there?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I don't know enough about it to form an educated opinion, but the quality of our rail system is not a problem I have heard discussed much at all. Why do this?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
This is like Englands version of the Edinburgh trams. Unwanted, very expensive and completely unneccessary
Oh god, not the pork!
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I'm gonna go insane if I see one more of you fuckers claim that the Uni fees is some giant ****ing problem. Look what actually got passed for christ sake, instead of herpa derp right wing all bad herpa derpy derp.

Anyway, on topic, although I like the idea of the line I feel it should have been left for a couple of years until the world's economy is more assuredly growing.

However, it's going to create a giant job pool for people in and around both cities once the economy is growing again and I think that by then people will like it.

EDIT: "It comes quite close to me" is not a reasonable argument against it.
Last edited by willT08 at Jan 10, 2012,
I can't quite see the point in it. It'll be crazy expensive, and only cut half an hour off the journey.

IMO, the money could be much better spent improving the rail service we already have. If the govt. want people to actually use the train service more often, then they need to make it cheaper, cleaner, and actually run on time.

A shiny new rail link will do precisely bugger all.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Jan 10, 2012,
likely aswell that the cost of it will rise

the Olympics were initially quoted at £5billion, but now are around £7 billion

wouldn't be surprised if the think thank leaders or corporates doing the bidding for the project are Cameron's best mates or something

We can to to birmingham from central london in an hour and 30, and by car hour and 15 (my dads a crazy driver...)

pointless in my eyes and the people whom live in rural areas like OP i genuinely feel for

**** DA SYSTEM
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
Think of Thomas!!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by behind_you
I have no clue what it is, and yet it has my full support.

This.
I guess it's progress in public transport so I can't see anything wrong with it principally, but the cost of it is a little concerning.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Jackal58
Think of Thomas!!!!!!!

Indeed.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by willT08
I'm gonna go insane if I see one more of you fuckers claim that the Uni fees is some giant ****ing problem.

Wut.

Quote by Trowzaa
Wut.

I've seen like 5 people say this within the last 10 minutes and Simsimius was the last straw.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
This.
I guess it's progress in public transport so I can't see anything wrong with it principally, but the cost of it is a little concerning.

Improving on something that's already pretty good.
Not too fussed either way.

I'm more bothered about Uni fees. Now that is one giant fucking problem.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Improving on something that's already pretty good.

I have no idea where this train is going to be located as I haven't read the link. I apologise.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by SMH07
Not too fussed either way.

I'm more bothered about Uni fees. Now that is one giant fucking problem.

I'm fine with both. There's nothing wrong with Uni fees.

Everyone's complaing that they're making it so only the elite can go. Well no shit. University is meant for the elite. If you can't afford it then tough shit.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by digman50

Everyone's complaing that they're making it so only the elite can go. Well no shit. University is meant for the elite. If you can't afford it then tough shit.

+1
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
Quote by digman50

Typical private school mentality.

Joking aside though, is this line only gonna be from Birmingham to London?
Quote by digman50

digman in right wing view shocker. You're honestly saying only the rich deserve to go to uni? And people who are smart, but not wealthy shouldn't go? You are a bigger twat than I thought.

You're fine with spending £36 billion on something completely unneeded? K.
Quote by SMH07

By 2026. Then to Manchester and Leeds by 2036
Last edited by Tanglewoodguit at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by SMH07

I believe so. There's one already which goes from London to through Kent. They want a more substantial one, and see how it goes with benefiting the country before creating any more.
Quote by stormtrooper887
+1

I can play this game too.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Seeing as my most frequently made journey is a 4 - 5 hour trip from Cardiff to Essex, it would be brilliant if it could be made substantially shorter (and preferably cheaper >_>.

However seeing as the UK is in so much debt, I think this is a bad time for such a massive investment in something that doesn't really need much improvement. Plus I don't even use the Birmingham line, although those improvements are apparently only "phase 1 of HS2", according to the article.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Last edited by BeefWellington at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by digman50

People like you are why people generally don't like private school kids.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Against it, feel the money is better placed elsewhere. And even if I did agree with it I don't trust them to deliver it on time or on budget. These things always end up in disputes and a huge wastage of money.

That's the UK way.™
Quote by willT08
I'm gonna go insane if I see one more of you fuckers claim that the Uni fees is some giant ****ing problem. Look what actually got passed for christ sake, instead of herpa derp right wing all bad herpa derpy derp.

It's not a giant problem. You don't pay shit 'til you graduate. That's cool. Still accessible to everyone.

BUT, you still end up paying more then people are now. And that sucks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by digman50

Elite=/=Rich
There might be a poor kid who could potentially discover a cure for cancer but can't afford the new fees.

I live in Lancashire and compared to the trains we have up here, all the London train links are amazing. I'd much rather not have to spend £9000 a year on tuition fees.
Just going to the uni thing. Plenty of people in the 20th Century couldn't afford uni and still did perfectly well and became rich. If you're clever enough but can't afford it you'll find a way around it. However, Uni is meant for the elite who can afford the fees, if you can't afford it, then tough shit.

I can't afford a 59 Les Paul, that's my problem, I can't just go "Oh it's not fair, I'm a good guitarist but I'm not rich enough"

Life happens like that and society means we'll never have everyone completely equall.

Why would your tiny ass country need high speed rail?

Quote by digman50
Just going to the uni thing. Plenty of people in the 20th Century couldn't afford uni and still did perfectly well and became rich. If you're clever enough but can't afford it you'll find a way around it. However, Uni is meant for the elite who can afford the fees, if you can't afford it, then tough shit.

I can't afford a 59 Les Paul, that's my problem, I can't just go "Oh it's not fair, I'm a good guitarist but I'm not rich enough"

Life happens like that and society means we'll never have everyone completely equall.

daww mommy and daddy paid for his education.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by CaptainRon
Why would your tiny ass country need high speed rail?

So the journey to London can be done in less than an hour rather than over four hours?
People don't like wasting their time...

Quote by digman50

Terrible analogy. A '59 Les Paul is in no way necessary I become a successful guitarist. If you want to become a dentist, there's no way you can do it without a £9000/year dentistry degree.
Page 1 of 3