So yesterday I broke. I went to the local music store and ended up making a downpayment on a 5150 2x12 combo.

I have a couple questions as well as a few things I would like clarified.
This is my first tube amp and my first amp of this caliber. I'm upgrading from a Peavey vypyr 75 and have only ever owned solid state modlers.

I understand that tubes have to be replaced but I'm unsure when. I know you have to let it warm up and theres a bunch of little things about owning a tube amp that I don't know.

So what else should I expect?

Also, it didn't come with a footswitch, so does anyone know where I can get a footswitch for the 5150 combo? Can i just get a 6505 footswitch from guitar center or something and use that??

Thanks for your time.
I usually let it warm up for about 30 seconds while setting up other cables, opening a beer, etc. Tubes only really need to be replaced in order to get slightly different tonal characteristics or when they die. When they die is pretty obvious...the amp stops working properly. It's always good to have spares around. As for the footswitch, look around used or contact Peavey directly. They can give you a better answer.

Also, congrats. You need to make a NAD when you get it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Okay thats not too far off from what the guy in the shop said. Also, do different tubes sound different in the amp?
Ever so slightly. It all depends on the brand, production quality/techniques/materials/etc. If you do a google search on different tube brands, then you can get a good idea of what you'll be getting.

That being said, JJ Tubes are pretty good.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
With a 5150 you won't notice a big difference between tube brands, they're not as sensitive as other amps in that department. JJ's are a good choice for it though since they're a darker sounding tube.

There's really not much to know about owning a tube amp haha. Turn the power on, get your guitar out and plug up/tune, then flip it from standby to on. When it starts making crackling noises/large drop in gain/loss of volume/etc you know it's time to swap a tube(s) somewhere. Otherwise it's just like a SS.

EDIT: That's a monster of an amp you bought, my friend got a 6505 212 (literally the same thing, just a little newer) and it's fun to jam on. They weigh in at a hefty 85lbs too, so prepare yourself . I highly recommend putting a set of handles on it like the 6505 212, sooooo much easier to carry that way.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
Quite some time ago somebody invented a thing called a trolley. You guys may want to investigate that.

Relevant. :P
^Trolleys are a godsend, but then quite some time ago somebody invented these things calls stairs that defeat trolleys.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
^Trolleys are a godsend, but then quite some time ago somebody invented these things calls stairs that defeat trolleys.

Quit being a candya$$ and do it like I do.

Get your wife to carry it...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Quit being a candya$$ and do it like I do.

Get your wife to carry it...

+1
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well it doesn't seem like its going to be that much more complicated than an ss.

Also, it seems like everyone I talk to has nothing but good things to say about this amp.
To answer your question about the footswitch. I think the original 5150 uses a 1/4" footswitch. The 5150 IIs (or at least some of them) use 5 pin midi footswitches. Check which one it is on the back and any 2 button footswitch will work.