Hey so ive done ear training for awhile and have been really mainly focusing on improving my ear as ive heard it can do incredible things to help improve writing music and improvising and writing solos.

The song Groan of the Wind by Kalmah ive been learning by ear, I basically have the whole song down. I used the program guitar pro and slowed it down to around 55-60% speed and went through the song listening and finding the tonic and using the scale D minor which this song is written in to figure out the 4 melodies or so that basically make up the song as well as the riffs.

Ive learned the whole lead but is there more to transposing a song than just this? How do i put together the song structure and figure out which part is the chorus or verse or what not? any links to a lesson on that or anything?

Any more advice on this would be appreciated thanks for your time!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
If you have just started out, then I suppose it's alright. But if you plan on gettin' serious, learn notes.

-thedevilsguitar
Yeah you got the right idea. Learning by ear imo is the most condusive thing you can do to get better. I'm not really sure what you're asking though. - Copy what you hear and play it. You may want to sing the lines as well as that helps with accuracy. Program I use for learning by ear is transcribe. It's free for a month and can slow music down to about 10% speed and still sound good
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
I used the program guitar pro and slowed it down to around 55-60% speed and went through the song listening and finding the tonic and using the scale D minor which this song is written in to figure out the 4 melodies or so that basically make up the song as well as the riffs.

Wait, you downloaded the guitar pro for the song and then played it back really slow, or are you writing everything into the program after you figure it out?

Ive learned the whole lead but is there more to transposing a song than just this? How do i put together the song structure and figure out which part is the chorus or verse or what not? any links to a lesson on that or anything?

You mean transcribing - transposing is moving the key of the song.

Generally transcription involves figuring out all the parts and writing them down in notation.

You don't need to put together the song structure - you're not arranging it, just figuring out what's there. In general, the verse is the bit with lyrics that change each time, and the chorus is the same each time. The bridge is the bit about 2/3rds of the way through for when everyone's bored of the verse and chorus and need something new.

Justin Guitar has great stuff on transcribing, go over and read up.
alright thanks for the reply's.

honestly I LOVE GUITAR now since i started learning by ear like honestly you learn SO much faster and its actually fun. Well Yeah i slowed Guitar pro file down so i could listen to it and figure it out by ear.

Alright i wont worry about the song structure and all that stuff. Ah transcribing thats what it was yeah ive been to justins website it really helped me alot.

but should i look at chord relations for rhythm compared with lead melodie lines and how they were made or anything?
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Forgive my ignorance, but if you have the guitar pro file isn't the answer already in front of your face?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
yea it is but i mean i dont understand what i look for they share similar notes or their intervals are certain ways? the rhythm is triplets with sixth notes? If im asking im obviously confused at some part ALANHB
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
You're using theory to figure out which notes you're hearing.

Not quite there yet.

Focus on identifying scale degrees once a key has been setup in your ear. Google "movable do solfege" and "la minor solfege". Learn solfege and use it religiously.
Quote by monobrow7
yea it is but i mean i dont understand what i look for they share similar notes or their intervals are certain ways? the rhythm is triplets with sixth notes? If im asking im obviously confused at some part ALANHB

Can you hear where the song resolves?

As for my comment above, I don't see the point of "learning by ear" if you have the answer infront of you. That's basically the same as doing a spelling test with the word written out infront of you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Can you hear where the song resolves?

As for my comment above, I don't see the point of "learning by ear" if you have the answer infront of you. That's basically the same as doing a spelling test with the word written out infront of you.

To me figuring out music by ear is really satisfying.
It makes me feel good.
If you would've made a test and got an A+ but you did peak, where is all the ****ing glory?
i wasn't looking at tab at all i just knew the key of the song is in D minor like most Scandinavian melodic death metal bands, i learned the lead parts and im gunna attempt to learn the bass parts and rhythm guitar parts as well. As to where it resolves wouldn't it do that at the tonic note D? or the I chord which is actually "i" as its D minor. I agree with Liampje.
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Learning by ear has many positive reasons but by learning by ear from a midi eliminates many of the positive reasons, you should really learn from the original song since you can hear all the soft/hard notes, the suttle bends, the way they play the vibrato, also, guitarpro files tend to not be 100% correct.

So start learning from the real song instead!