Page 1 of 2

I've been offered another masterbilt on trade. This one a slightly different model

The first one I bought was an AJ-500M (mahogany back and sides)
This one is an EF-500R (Rosewood back and sides)

My question is, what kind of sound difference can i expect between the rosewood and mahogany?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
/waits patiently for patticake
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
i'm afraid you're waiting for the wrong person this time

i haven't spent enough time with masterbilts to answer this specifically. that being said, i've played the exact same guild in both rosewood and mahogany, and the rosewood was darker with more overtones while the mahogany was cleaner and crisper. interesting to note, i preferred the rosewood while my husband preferred the mahogany. i had the same result with an OM and a dread. btw, when i tried a rosewood vs a mahogany below 0-sized parlor of the same make and brand, the rosewood came through a lot less.

Quote by mike_oxbig
/waits patiently for patticake
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Interesting, the mahogany AJ is already fairly deep and dark, but maybe I only think so because it's my first fully solid wood guitar.

It will be tough to do an accurate comparison due to the different styles, but i'll be sure to report back with what I find. I also might put on my resume that i've played a gutiar that patticake hasn't.
Quote by stepchildusmc
that hurts mike, ya wait patiently for patti but, not me( the fact that i know nothing about those is irrelevant) you should go help your uncle jack while i review this dilema
i hope you meant to say Uncle Jack.....
Quote by stepchildusmc
very rarely do i actually laugh out loud....but that was hilarious
Quote by stepchildusmc
so wait...? your gonna trade the baby you just got for this one? not keeping both??? i have a nasty habit of not being able to get rid of any( good thing i cant do that with girlfriends... or can i?? hmm....). someday your gonna see me on that hoarders tv show.
Yeah i filed for a divorce with the sheraton shortly after the honeymoon
It was a beautiful guitar, but it was fully laminated and I'm starting to realize that i'm more of an acoustic kinda guy...so if it means trading that for something that will be worth keeping forever so be it.

Plus...I traded up if anything. Although I had my work cut out with this one, it's been a busy night. I started out by changing the strings and hydrating the fret board, giving the body a good cleaning. I splurged on the 30$ ernie ball strings like i did with the last masterbilt. Just seemed like it deserved it. Next the truss rod needed some serious adjustment. got that all straightened out (lol, pun) and the action was still wayyy too high. took off the strings (argh) and went to file down the saddle...only to find the guy before me had raised it with a couple zap straps. that was an easy fix. put the strings back on, Get it in tune, and every time i hit the low E there was a rattling sound coming from somewhere near the headstock. that took me a few minutes to figure out. Turned out the knob of the tuning peg on the A string was loose just enough to give it a metal-on-metal buzz whenever a bassy note was hit. so i took that off, dipped it in some superglue, and put it back on. it's probably dry now actually, i'll have to put it together before i go to bed.

I'm a little disappointed I had to put so much work into the guitar seeing as how mine left me in perfect condition with a fresh setup, but it's a labour of love and part of the bonding process.

Here are some pictures, i'll be back with a video tomorrow.

Quote by stepchildusmc
that's a right perty one ya gots there ! nice pics. i been tryin' to figure out how to post pics since i got here( got a new Ovation C2078AX-RTD for xmas and wanted to post a ngd but i'm computer stupid.... yeah, yeah, i'm substituting gear for talent but, thats how i was trained). so like.... umm... uhh... it's been morning here in NY for a few hours now and i still see no new vids of your new love...
Sorry i'm a lazy SOB in the winter, I'm laid off until spring and collecting employment insurance so i sleep in until my wife kicks me.

Posting pictures is fairly easy, you just need to find a site to host the image. I use tinypic

www.tinypic.com

Go to that site, and click "upload image" and find the image on your computer or camera. If the picture came directly off of your camera it's probably huge, so use the resize option and put it to "message board" then click upload.

When it's uploaded it will give you a few different links to make it easier to paste the image in various locations. You'll want to choose "message board" because that give you the IMG code with it. then you just paste it on here and voila.

You can do the same with any picture that's currently on the internet. I use google chrome which makes things very easy, but if you're on internet explorer and you want to post a picture on here, you'll have to right click on the picture you want to post, go to "properties" and copy the image URL. make sure it ends in .JPG or .PNG or whatever file extension. From there you can type in the image code yourself, it's (Invalid img) without the spaces
Quote by stepchildusmc
Here's a short video I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHYPUovZPbc

I hadn't even rubbed the sleep out of my eyes so I added a stupid whiteout effect so you could focus on the sound of the guitar and not how it looked like I woke up in the ditch with a hangover

I find that this guitar is louder than the AJ500M. It has much deeper lows and higher highs, but the mids get a little muffled. It's also a bit harder to play because the string spacing is wider, but it was designed to be a finger picking guitar so i guess that makes sense. The neck is a V shape which bothered me at first but it grew on me quickly.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to do some surgery on the poor girl. I can't get the action as low as I like so i'm going to be routing the bridge 1/4" and filing the saddle down a little.

All things considered though I think i prefer this over the AJ500M. I'll confirm whether it's love or lust after the honeymoon is over.
Quote by stepchildusmc
i host mine on imageshack.us - they haven't let me down yet. used to use photobucket, but hit my max for images there.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I think facebook made photobucket obsolete. I have a couple photobucket accounts but i haven't used it since i signed up to facebook.
Quote by stepchildusmc
cool video. looks like ya woke up in a ditch with a hangover during a blizzard... you canadians... sheesh !
Haha yeah xbox forced me to change my gamertag for the 3rd time, and i really loved my gamertag...so i was pissed. I cancelled my live subscription and vowed to not buy another xbox when this one breaks. It actually just bit the dust a couple days ago. I sold off all my games and accessories and now i'm gonna switch to PS3
Quote by stepchildusmc
I don't want to make a new thread for this question...so i'm just gonna ask it here

can someone identify this chord for me? I have a big poster with all the chords on it but it's packed away somewhere

eadgbe - 02443x
Quote by stepchildusmc
umm.. B? is this a trick question like with uncle jack?
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Jan 13, 2012,
you were too slow so i googled it

b minor

not really a trick question but if you called it a b junior and abbreviated it i might think you were hitting on me.

"i think you're thinking of a bj"
Quote by stepchildusmc
dammit ! im tired and second guessed myself! and i wouldnt hit on you... you havent sent me beer yet. my fav song with Bm is "gettin' better" by tesla. spent countless hours learning that one from memory a long time ago, 2 weeks on an aircraft carrier headin to the gulf. heard the intro and commandeered an ovation thunderbolt from a squid( thats where i got my love for O's). just sat there on the stern and figured it out after hearing the song once. i had a LOT of time on my hands waiting to cross the atlantic.
haha i would imagine.

that chord is just part of the bridge of a song i'm trying to write the acoustic version of. there's a version tabbed on here but it's wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLf2VgZIyIc

Got the chords, now i just gotta nail the strumming pattern
Quote by stepchildusmc
ya know, i never listened to john mayer... not bad. i usually like my tunes with loads of attitude.. kind like me
I never listened to him either until recently...I only started appreciating him during my search for for mellow acoustic songs
Quote by stepchildusmc
i'm stubborn, still trying to fit avenged sevenfolds "bat country" into an acoustic version.. not working so well. but if anything... im persistant
Well i finally got it how I like it. took a dremel tool and made some channels in the bridge so I could lower the saddle more. I don't know why but it was made so the action would be perfect if the strings were resting right on the bridge. At any rate it's fixed now, plays and sounds wonderful. the AJ500M will be in its case for a while I think.

You'll notice the saddle isn't quite long enough...the original one chipped on the top while i was removing it for some reason, so i put a spare saddle in that was in my parts drawer. I'll look into getting a proper sized one next time i change the strings...for now i just wanted to play it.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Jan 16, 2012,
I'm not sure if you realize this, but after giving it a listen, it sounds as if he has a capo on the second fret. The first three chords are (converted to the capo being the nut), Full barre G, full barre F, and an open C.

First time I've heard this song, I like it, thanks.

Edit, sorry I'm wrong, just started figuring out the rest, no capo.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Jan 16, 2012,
It's pretty damn simple from what i've gathered, what sounds like tricky parts are a second guitar looped over top

the campfire version would be

verse:
A - G - D

bridge:
Bm - E

Chorus:
A - G - D

There's a cover version i found on youtube where the guy adds some pulloffs to the D chords which i've adapted because it sounds nice, the rest is just getting the strumming down and singing like your vagina hurts.
Quote by stepchildusmc
dammit mike ! yer gonna end up turning us all into JM fans. i'll never be able to show my face in the local biker bar again! nice job on the bridge by the way. when ya get the song down, post a vid. i'll even let ya borrow a set of vice-grips so you can get vagina-high notes !
Well I made a video but after watching it i spotted a bunch of "mistakes"

Making a video of yourself is actually a good way to learn...I always catch errors in transitions and strumming patterns when i watch myself play.

Let me fine tune this and i'll post a video tonight.
Quote by stepchildusmc
doo doo doodoo... doo doo doo...doo doo doodoo... doop de doodoo doo doo. ( i once tried out for vanna's stunt double)
It's kind of a pain in the ass, i keep playing it too fast, so it sounds ok but it doesn't sound like the song.

Maybe i'll try playing while i listen to it.
Quote by stepchildusmc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWKzGUL5ojU

I got bored of the song fast. On to something less repetitive.
Quote by stepchildusmc
it wasn't a song, it was poop on a string
Quote by stepchildusmc
thought it was but, i wanted to try and put a positive spin on it. still deciding whether or not i wanna watch it again or staple bologna to my face....again
Page 1 of 2