Hello everyone,
ive been playing guitar for a couple of months now and recently took on sweep picking to be my next mastered techniques, i know i am doing everything good and smooth but the problem is that i can't speed my sweeping to the point where it can sound like real shredding ,tried the metronome was a total fail tho. ,any tips would be appreciated
Don't. If you've only been playing a couple of months there are much bigger fish to be fried before you can even get sweeping on the hook, so to speak.

Work on normal picking, forming chords, learning to use arpeggios musically, improving your vibrato, getting your fingers properly independent and so on. Ignore sweeping.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Why was your metronome a, as you put it, total fail? If it was set slow enough you should be able to sweep to it, and you won't get sweep picking to a high speed straight away, especially not all patterns. Some are harder than others after all. What patterns are you using as sweep picking exercises?
@zaphod , i actually have gone through most of the things u have mentioned b4 and i'd like to point out the fact that i am actually doing sweep picking 100% right and accurate its just i can't get it fast enough ,and btw i'll check some of the techniques u mentioned above thx

@celestial: yeah metronome was good at slow speed but that's not what i am talking about i am talking about when i wanna speed my playing up ,post the 200 bpm mark and i do the beginners 5 string sweeping minor lick ,the finger position are really close and easy but THE SPEED
Quote by metalish
@zaphod , i actually have gone through most of the things u have mentioned b4 and i'd like to point out the fact that i am actually doing sweep picking 100% right and accurate its just i can't get it fast enough ,and btw i'll check some of the techniques u mentioned above thx

If you've only been playing for a few months I can guarantee you they're not up to the standard they need to be before you should be attacking the techniques that could be described as "flavor" techniques. You need a foundation of solid-as-fuck basics before you have a hope of making the extras work and at the amount of time you've been playing... you will not have that foundation. At all. I can guarantee that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you've only been playing for a few months I can guarantee you they're not up to the standard they need to be before you should be attacking the techniques that could be described as "flavor" techniques. You need a foundation of solid-as-fuck basics before you have a hope of making the extras work and at the amount of time you've been playing... you will not have that foundation. At all. I can guarantee that.

this
its just that i feel ive been stuck in the bottom for too long now and wanna take on some advanced stuff ,when i play the basic stuff i get bored and don't actually feel like i'm going anywhere ,but i'll leave sweep picking for the mean time as u guys suggested and maybe look for intermediate stuff thx
I'd disagree to an extent, I think that you should explore new techniques while practicing the basics, the basics are needed, of course, however, I think that saying sweep picking is simply a 'flavour' technique is a little silly, considering the amazing melodies that you can make with sweeping, I've heard solos that only consist of sweeping, and they can be extremely effective. I'd say work on both, place more importants on the basics, but keep sweeping in mind, if you practice 2 hours a day, spend 30 minutes sweeping, and 1 hour and 30 minutes on bending in tune, vibrato, etc, then as your basic skills become stronger, swap the routine around, and if you get the basics down now, you can really get ahead with the more advanced techniques, but keep trying the advanced techniques, shying away when things get difficult is, in my opinion, the worst habit a guitarist can develop.
Try to play scales (alternating) and use sweep picking when you are switching string. Not to hard and it really works! Give it a try!
D = down | = switching string U = up

D U D | D U D | D U D | D etc...
Quote by metalish
its just that i feel ive been stuck in the bottom for too long now and wanna take on some advanced stuff ,when i play the basic stuff i get bored and don't actually feel like i'm going anywhere ,but i'll leave sweep picking for the mean time as u guys suggested and maybe look for intermediate stuff thx

You've been playing a few months...

You're either a prodigy or lying to yourself
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
So you want to learn sweeping after just a few months? All that's going to happen is you will get frustrated at not being able to do it fast. I didn't start to look at sweeping until several years after I started playing. Simply put, you're either a ridiculously adept prodigy or else you aren't ready.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Question: You've been playing guitar for a couple months but you joined 3 years ago?
Thing is: You can learn to sweep pick and "master it".

A year or a couple years later you will sweep like a mofo, but
1) you probably wont know what you are sweeping
2) you wont be able to do anything else other than sweeping
3) you will still have to go back and relearn other much more basic stuff like alternate picking, the notes on the neck, chords etc etc..
4) you will probably pick bad habits.

IVe seen it countless times, kids who cant do anything else than sweeping shape after shape.. "their brutal sweep shapes XD"

I also recommend getting the basics down first, you will be able to do much more things and tackle more imortant stuff, but to be really honest there is not a pregiven order one must follow, in the end it is up to you and what inspires you.. but why not try to waste the least ammount of time :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 11, 2012,

All advanced stuff is is good basics.
been interested in this page long ago ,used to browse peoples bands and give my opinion and stuff ,beside months after that when i was going to get my guitar i spend a good share in here asking about which guitar to get ,u know how confusing it can be when it comes to buying ur first guitar with 0 exp
Quote by Sullinger
Question: You've been playing guitar for a couple months but you joined 3 years ago?
Quote by Freepower
All advanced stuff is is good basics.

This

People get really good at guitar by practicing the crap out of those "boring" basic things and getting realy good at them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok then ,since you all agreed on the fact that i should get to back to the basics that's what iam going to do ,if anyone of you guys know a better practice for bending-vibrato sliding stuff than taking a scale and keep playing it then please share it
Quote by metalish
Ok then ,since you all agreed on the fact that i should get to back to the basics that's what iam going to do ,if anyone of you guys know a better practice for bending-vibrato sliding stuff than taking a scale and keep playing it then please share it

There are hundreds of exercises for any and every technique. Check the exercises sticky for a start, or learn some songs, particularly songs that are just a bit above your level but still attainable.

Playing a scale over and over will just get you good at that scale, which will get you pretty much nowhere. Nobody cares if you can run through a scale at 300 bpm. Can you play something musical? That's what you should be asking yourself.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.