Ok so I got a 2nd hand guitar and I want to lower the action a little. I've got it pretty much where I want it, it is not super low.
I just get a wee bit of buzz on the 1st and 2nd frets. Do I either file them down a little (if that is still done these days), or can I adjust using the truss rod?
If I adjust using the truss rod on my jackson what way do I turn it looking at it? Clockwise or anticlockwise and by how much of a turn?

I have tried holding down the 1st and 19th fret and the strings pretty much touch around the 7th fret.

Relatively newbie here.......
Last edited by Rmonix at Jan 10, 2012,
Is the "jackson" the brand of guitar you have?

And there are several things that going into adjusting the action:

String gauge and tuning.

Bridge/saddle height.

Depending on bridge, spring tension at the back.

Nut string groove height.

Neck angle/ truss rod tension.

Fret condition.

How the guitar intonates is affected by all of the above.

So back to the original question. What kind of guitar is it? What type of bridge/trem?
Quote by Rmonix
Ok so I got a 2nd hand guitar and I want to lower the action a little. I've got it pretty much where I want it, it is not super low.
I just get a wee bit of buzz on the 1st and 2nd frets. Do I either file them down a little (if that is still done these days), or can I adjust using the truss rod?
If I adjust using the truss rod on my jackson what way do I turn it looking at it? Clockwise or anticlockwise and by how much of a turn?

I have tried holding down the 1st and 19th fret and the strings pretty much touch around the 7th fret.

Relatively newbie here.......

if it's the first couple of frets, either the nut cuts are too low, or you need a little more relief.

you can check if it's relief by

fretting the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, around the 8th-9th.

does the string lay on the fret wire there? if so,
it's safe to turn the truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise.

that a very small amount.
dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune.

post back wt questions, or after the adjustment if you feel you need
additional help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 10, 2012,