I need help with this:
I have a Marshall MG15Dfx- my plan was to buy an MG50DFX so I could play gigs loud enough. But I've realized they have an incredible dirty sound.

I'm using a stock pickup MIM HSS Strat. I want a clean Malmsteen-y sound (not his - just clean similar to his). But I can't afford a tube amp (400&euro. So I don't know what to do.

My idea is buying a Wah-wah & a BOSS Overdrive (for a warm clean sound - is that correct)? If not, how can I get a clean sound?

And what do I do about the amp? Will MG50DFX sound good with BOSS?
(i originally thought of buying MG100DFx but I think it's a ripoff, yeah?)

Thankyou...
for listening!
Save your money.

Buy a tube amp.

/thread
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by coolstoryangus
screw the mg idea completely
screw overdriving pedal into mg completely
then post a response here with information like
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
this

-400€(more or less)
-Malmsteen, blues, classical music, David Bowie...
-Preferably new since I can get them delivered
-Home & Gig
-I live in Majorca, that's why I don't want to buy a tube amp cuz I might be going to the UK next year or maybe not. And I need a loud-good amp now.
-Strat MIM HSS _ Marshall MG15DFX

WHat amp is recomended to me? And what pedal for a clean warm sound?
MGs are terrible amps. Save money and get a tube amp or get a Peavey Vypyr 75 if you're stick in that budget. A wah will Definately make your sound cleaner, it'll make sound dirtier and messier. Did you buy any chance get your info from YouTube videos of zack wylde talking about how awesome MGs are and wah pedals are? Cos he was paid.
Quote by itamar100
A wah will Definately make your sound cleaner, it'll make sound dirtier and messier.

wut?

i'd listen to coolstoryangus, Arby911 and itamar100. save up for a tube amp, or if you really wont be able to afford one and it's gonna have to be solid state then at least get a decent one, e.i. not an MG
Quote by callumbloodpuke
wut?

i'd listen to coolstoryangus, Arby911 and itamar100. save up for a tube amp, or if you really wont be able to afford one and it's gonna have to be solid state then at least get a decent one, e.i. not an MG

and what do you recomend as a decent ss?
Same deal with the "get a tube amp" bandwagon. I'm just going to tell you the same thing. What I'm not going to do is bash the MG though. You can produce tones similar to his out of that amp with the right EQ and settings. Bring the gain way back, boost the mids and lower the treble a bit and you'll have something similar with some work.

That being said, for the price you listed there are solid tube amps out there.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by YYMMalmsteen

Roland Jazz Chorus used.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by YYMMalmsteen

i have a vox vt100 and it has pretty good tone as well as being relly versitile and the peavey vyper series seems good aswell but i've only ever tried them in a shop.
you can allways get a vt*instert relalvent wattage here* or something if you dont need as much wattage.

edit: just so you know, when i said ss i meant any amp which isnt tube. the ones i mensioned are modeling
Last edited by callumbloodpuke at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by Arby911
Save your money.

Buy a tube amp.

/thread

Agry with you
Last edited by sweetwmusic at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Roland Jazz Chorus used.

The Jazz Chorus is not going to get him Marshally tube tone. The only thing good about it is it's clean channel.
i agree with saving a little more

i mean the traynor ycv50b is 577 euro on thomann, i think. combine that with an od (e.g. harley benton/joyo vintage od, basically a tubescreamer clone, 29 euro) and that should do malmsteen, i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i agree with saving a little more

i mean the traynor ycv50b is 577 euro on thomann, i think. combine that with an od (e.g. harley benton/joyo vintage od, basically a tubescreamer clone, 29 euro) and that should do malmsteen, i'd have thought.

but the thing is i don't know where ill be in some time, and if i get a valve amp and transport it it might get damaged...
Quote by Sputnik1
The Jazz Chorus is not going to get him Marshally tube tone. The only thing good about it is it's clean channel.

yeah you're right of course but he asked to be recommended a good SS amp.

TS, it's being said over and over and over again. Just save up a little more.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
but the thing is i don't know where ill be in some time, and if i get a valve amp and transport it it might get damaged...

vavle amps are a bit more susceptable to damage but they're still pretty solid. as long as you dont drop it or something like that. bags and cases arent too expensive if you're conserned about it getting damaged on the move
Quote by callumbloodpuke
vavle amps are a bit more susceptable to damage but they're still pretty solid. as long as you dont drop it or something like that. bags and cases arent too expensive if you're conserned about it getting damaged on the move

sorry to be so annoying but its very important. Are there any 400-500€ Marshall valve amps? (& loud ones)
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
sorry to be so annoying but its very important. Are there any 400-500€ Marshall valve amps? (& loud ones)

you're probably looking second hand at that budget but there are plenty other non-marshall tube amps out there for that price (i think. cant rember what the conversion is between pounds and euros)
MGs aren't as bad as some people here say they are, but they're only really good for playing at home, so if you're looking at getting an amp so you can start gigging you should definitely be considering other options.

With the right amp, you won't need the effects pedals to get a good sound, so add the money you were considering spending on those to the budget for your amp, then the best advice is always to go to a shop and try them so you know you're getting something that sounds how you want it to.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I would say to check out a Fender Hot Rod.. I don't know what they sell for in your area but they're not too expensive if you check out the used market. A 40W should give you plenty of headroom for clean sounds, and with a tubescreamer in front, you should get all the dirt you need. As far as loud goes, wear earplugs when you crank one of these!!

But whatever you do, DO NOT INSULT THE MUSIC GODS BY GETTING ANOTHER MG!!
i'd say if he wants a malmsteen type of sound he'd be better to get a marshall-style amp like the traynor.

a tubescreamer into a fendery amp doesn't really sound marshally... at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?