The other day I was in my local guitar shop and saw a maroon Made in Mexico Fender Strat. I played it and loved it, but I don't know if its worth the $350 he wants for it. I'm on good terms with the owner of the shop and he said he could cut me a deal, so I figured $350 for the guitar and case.

On the flip side, he has a modded Line 6 Spider Valve combo that he's unsure if he's keeping for himself or selling... If he is selling it, I want it.

So what should I do? Get the guitar and say to hell with the amp or wait until he figures out whether he wants the amp and buy it, but run the risk of possibly getting neither the amp or the guitar?
Last edited by Somekid94 at Jan 10, 2012,
does it have the strymon SVpre? those sound really nice with the mod.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Asking about spiders here will not be good. Lol.

350$ with a case isnt bad.

I know, I honestly tried it out to see how bad it sounded and was dumbfounded at how good it actually was.
Oic. Ask him to hold the guitar until he sorts it out?
Never tried a spider, just jumping on the

i must say my pod isnt bad though, cant see why the amps would be that much worse...
My friend, IMHO none of the two tools is a premium one. I know Fender is Fender, but MIM Strats aren't very consistent.
If the particular axe your friend is selling sounds good and you feel fine with it, however, my advice would be to buy it. Because, as I've said, Fender is Fender and a good MIM Strat has nothing to envy on a Korean or Chinese Strat. While the Line 6 really is sheer crap. No offence. Grab the guitar, play it through small practice amps until you save enough for a decent all-tube amp, and then you'll discover your Strat is a great guitar, after all. (I'd buy a Strat for 350 dollars at any moment, no matter how bad it sounds: if the wood is good, any other flaw can be repaired or replaced, beginning with the pickups. The price is just insane for a Fender.)
Quote by rv_phoenix
My friend, IMHO none of the two tools is a premium one. I know Fender is Fender, but MIM Strats aren't very consistent.
If the particular axe your friend is selling sounds good and you feel fine with it, however, my advice would be to buy it. Because, as I've said, Fender is Fender and a good MIM Strat has nothing to envy on a Korean or Chinese Strat. While the Line 6 really is sheer crap. No offence. Grab the guitar, play it through small practice amps until you save enough for a decent all-tube amp, and then you'll discover your Strat is a great guitar, after all. (I'd buy a Strat for 350 dollars at any moment, no matter how bad it sounds: if the wood is good, any other flaw can be repaired or replaced, beginning with the pickups. The price is just insane for a Fender.)

My current tube amp is fine and dandy thanks. Have you ever even played a Spider Valve? As far as I can tell, they're very different from the shitty SS Spiders. I just need something that'll work better for multiple genres, and was still a tube amp. That fit the bill quite nicely.

As for the guitar, buying this would basically put my mind to rest when I start gigging. I'd rather take a $350 MIM Strat on the road than my priceless 1980 MIA Fender Lead II. The MIM sounded absolutely great through the Mesa Double Rectifier Road King and Randall Stereo Chourus he had that as well as the Spider.
The Spider Valves are dependable. My old guitarist used one and we did countless shows without a prob. Made set up and tear down easy because he used presets on it. I'd buy the Strat at full price, only if he'd sell me the amp for a damn good price since you're paying full price and not con-ing him down.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10