Page 1 of 2
...that affected your playing and/or appreciation of music. Since it's the classic rock board, I figure we could keep it from the 60s to mid 80s (since classic rock radio has apparently labeled the 80s as officially within its reach). This is totally subjective, but worth discussing because it's always awesome seeing what does what for certain people.

So, my list:
3) Let There Be Rock by AC/DC
This one broke out of its case, punched me in the face, then offered to by me a drink after. This album got me to really pursue rhythm guitar, and I started to improve immensely as I practiced lick after lick. It's possibly the heaviest album I own (that isn't punk or death metal), and it got me to love a cranked up amp and walls of wailing chords. Highway to Hell could go in this spot too, but I have to give it to the lesser known one.

2) Live at Leeds by The Who
With this album, I learned how a concert SHOULD be done. This album made me fall in love with The Who, and got me looking for my own white SG to be just like Pete.

1) Some Girls by The Rolling Stones
I'd love to put Exile on Main Street at the top of my list because of its role in leading me toward the blues, but in terms of affecting my style of playing and my life, Some Girls takes the cake. The whole album is a knock out from start to finish. Hell, the Stones made disco work on this album! I started trying to play the 5-string guitar like Keef, and I feel in permanent love with rock.

Sure, there are others I love to death, like At Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers or KISS' self-titled debut album, but those 3 are my picks. What are yours?
1. A Farewell To Kings (Rush)
2. 2112 (Rush)
3. Fly By Night (Rush)

Go ahead. Make fun of me if you must.
I like prog
Quote by I AM DEREK
1. A Farewell To Kings (Rush)
2. 2112 (Rush)
3. Fly By Night (Rush)

Go ahead. Make fun of me if you must.

You chose Rush. I can't make fun of you.

I'm trying to get ahold of their first album, but so far, no dice... =/
For me, it would be:
The Cult - Electric
One of the singles off this album (Lil' Devil) was the song which influenced me to start playing the guitar.

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
This was the first album I ever bought, and the only one I've owned on cassette, vinyl and CD.

Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
This one isn't directly related to my appreciation of music, but it has a pretty big significance in my life. My familiy had just moved to a new town where I knew absolutely nobody. One day I had been listening to this album in my bedroom, then later on went out to go to the shop for some cigarettes. A complete stranger walked up to me and asked if I was the Aerosmith fan. He lived a couple of houses away, we became friends and even though it was over 20 years ago almost all my friends today can be indirectly traced back to that random meeting.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
hmmm.. this was all new rock when i started

Deep Purple - Machine Head. the song Highway Star really was what made me want to play, the solo was so cool. the album of course has many other cool guitar moments.

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Live. great tunes and some of the fastest most intense guitar of the time (recorded on the 1977 tour). my first concert was frank on this tour.

Led Zeppelin - (pick one ) Zep were gods back in the 70s so if you played rock guitar then you probably were into jimmy page.

honorable mentions

KISS ALIVE
MONTROSE (1st album)
I dunno what it is, but I've apparently fallen in love with 70s AC/DC and late 60s to early 70s Stones. I've heard other guitar players before, from technical monsters like Hendrix, Gilmour, or Van Halen, but the ones who resonate with me most are good ol' Keith Richards and the Young brothers from AC/DC. I'm sure as hell not a lead guitarist in terms of skill, and I'm not exactly desiring to be, but those 3 guitarists showed me on their records that rhythm and economy are important, and I've kept that going as I've been improving.

...I guess I do know what it is...
1) KISS - KISS

Almost every song on this album is amazing. It's true kiss and the riffs are pure rock n roll. Also Ace Frehley inspired me to play guitar.

2) Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin

Their first album is just amazing. The vocals are amazing. The drums are amazing. The guitar is amazing. The bass is amazing. All the songs are so bluesy yet they have a heavier feeling to them. There is really no other band that has executed a sound like this. Songs like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Dazed and Confused really show this style. Also the progressive style incorporated is amazing.

3. Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

There isn't a sing song that i dislike on this album. It is truly one of the greatest albums ever cut. The riffs are amazing. Also it reminds of Zeppelin yet heavier like KISS. It's like a combination of the both of these bands and it's another unique sound like Zeppelin that has never been mimicked.
For me, it would be
1. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
2. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (Great album i must say)
3. Pink Floyd - The Wall (I mean, who can forget Pink Floyd)

Cheers
In no order...
1. Guns N' Roses--Appetite for Destruction
2. Aerosmith--Rocks
3. The Rolling Stones--Exile on Main Street
Quote by frehleyjr
1) KISS - KISS

Almost every song on this album is amazing. It's true kiss and the riffs are pure rock n roll. Also Ace Frehley inspired me to play guitar.

Their first album is just amazing. The vocals are amazing. The drums are amazing. The guitar is amazing. The bass is amazing. All the songs are so bluesy yet they have a heavier feeling to them. There is really no other band that has executed a sound like this. Songs like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Dazed and Confused really show this style. Also the progressive style incorporated is amazing.

There isn't a sing song that i dislike on this album. It is truly one of the greatest albums ever cut. The riffs are amazing. Also it reminds of Zeppelin yet heavier like KISS. It's like a combination of the both of these bands and it's another unique sound like Zeppelin that has never been mimicked.

Funny you mention Kiss. I was thinking hard about Kiss Alive for this list. Probably would not include it but it did cross my mind.
1. The Color and the Shape = Great, great album. So many memorable songs for such an early project.

2. Who's Next = Need I say more?

3. Nevermind = Taught me that a guitar can be powerful even though you're not playing a finger-blistering speed.
1. Srgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

2. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

3. Led Zep IV
Kiss-Kiss
AC/DC-Highway to Hell
Blizzard of Ozz-Ozzy
Van Halen l

ok, so i got 4
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Jan 16, 2012,
maybe i misunderstood, if you meant the top 3 and not my top 3 then it would be

Whos Next-The Who
Exile on Main Street-Rolling Stones
The Wall-Pink FLoyd
Led Zeppelin lV

ok i got 4 again
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Iron Maiden -final Frontier
Dragonforce-inhuman Rampage
Dragonforce Valley Of The Damned
Quote by frehleyjr
1) KISS - KISS

I own both of those first two, and both of them got me to look more into guitar as well. KISS was awesome back in the day before Gene turned out to be a tool... =/

Appetite was made a few years before I was born, so it's still weird to consider it THAT old (I'm almost 20, so I'm not really getting up there yet). However, it's one hell of an album, and I'm kind of surprised more people don't put it higher on top 20 lists.

ALSO...
I saw a lot of people put down Exile as one of their top. I gotta agree that Exile is absolutely amazing, but for the sake of argument, I believe Some Girls comes out as the better album. It's a bit more of a departure from the past, while Exile is the culmination of the Stones' rootsy sound, but Some Girls just seems to hold up a little bit better in my eyes.
1. Supertramp - Crime of the centuary
It's not often you like every song on a album but this album is a big exception.. Very deep album, takes maybe a while to understand to be honest.

2. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Well known, everyone knows it greatness. I am only missing "I'm so afraid" in this album, then it would be perfect.

3. Free - Fire and water
Such a underrated album and band. Paul Kossof was one of the best guitarrist in my opinion, sadly he died
Fly By Night -Rush
AC/DC- For Those About to Rock
Guns n Roses- Appetite for Destruction
AC/DC - if you want blood (you got it)
My favourite band of all time, there's just so much energy in this album, it really brings them across well.

Rush - 2112
The first rush album I bought, really inspired my mellow accoustic side lol.

Led Zeppelin - II
Listened to this album at a very early age, I still have the origional pressing on vinyl although it's a little worn out lol.
For me, the top 3 rock albums are,
1-Modest mouse- the moon and Antarctica
2-Radiohead- in rainbows
3-The strokes- is this it
1. Best of Van Halen Vol. 1- Van Halen
(Bought in a music store, my first time listening to Van Halen, stuck with me ever since)

2. 1984-Van Halen
(after the Best Of album i picked this up became more in love)

3. Apetite for Destruction- Guns n' Roses
(Ill never live down the first time i heard Sweet Child, and Jungle)

Pretty straight forward and normal faves. But these have definitely influenced me.
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
1. Guns n' Roses- Appetite for Destruction

2. The Beatles- Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

3. Jimi Hendrix- Live at Woodstock
The top three for me would be 1. ACDC Back in Black. There are so many great guitar riffs here, it is difficult to know even where to begin.

2. Metallica Master of Puppets because I love those thrashy riffs and James' singing.

3. Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here.

ron666
1)The Beatles - Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
2)Radiohead - OK Computer
3)The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
1. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Gold (compilation)
First music I remember loving as a kid.

2. Boston - Boston/Don't Look Back
I got both records at the same time so it was like a double whammy of awesome guitar, drums and very cool sounds.

3. Van Halen - Van Halen
Still trying to pick my jaw off the floor after hearing this.
1. Beatles - Abbey Road
2. Led Zeppelin I
3. Rush -pick any between the first album and Moving Pictures
1. Beatles - Revolver/ Abby Road/ Sgt Peppers (Depending on my mood)
2. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
3. Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Quote by MusicIsMySoul45
In no order...
1. Guns N' Roses--Appetite for Destruction
2. Aerosmith--Rocks
3. The Rolling Stones--Exile on Main Street

totally agree
For me:

Sgt Pepper's - the best.
12 Angry Months by Local H - concept album, a little cliched about a breakup, but music is awesome.
Pinkerton by Weezer - so ahead of its time and awesome Weezer had to go back in time and record the terrible green album. It's Weezer's Sgt. Pepper's.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Nirvana-Nevermind
Foo Fighters-The Colour And The Shape
Blink182-Neighbourhoods
All 3 are amazing albums and i don't care if people say nevermind is an overated album. To me it is amazing and deserved all the success it got
I'll name my favorites

1. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction - this forced me to pickup guitar
2. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
3. Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz
Last edited by uziyourillusion at Apr 23, 2012,
I'd say:
1 - Beatles - Sgt Peppers
2 - Radiohead - Kid A
3 - Radiohead - Ok Computer
bringin it all back home - bob dylan
led zeppelin I - led zeppelin
wheels of fire - cream
Cha Cha
Quote by nonjonron
1. Srgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

2. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

3. Led Zep IV

This is my list, totally agree!
Quote by MarkMthw
For me, it would be
1. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
2. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (Great album i must say)
3. Pink Floyd - The Wall (I mean, who can forget Pink Floyd)

Cheers

Exactly the same only id use Pink Floyds Dark side of the Moon, naturally.

three best rock albulms surely have to be one of each of these threes?

Physical Graffiti was such a huge catalogue of different sounds its why its led zeps best (for me) but houses of the holy and led zep iv were also contenders.
Page 1 of 2