On what surface do you prefer to play your amp on, or where you think it sounds the best? I've noticed many as well as I prefer carpet as it absorbs the sound well and doesn't feedback easily, but I've heard guys tell me that the best combo is a high ceiling with a wood floor, especially for cleans. What's your preference, and why?
If I'm allowed t reffer to my own experience, I'd say it depends on quite a few other things. The most important one is not necessarily the surface, but its structural resistence to vibrations. A solid floor is much better than a wooden stage and an empty volume under it. The carpet can act a buffer, preventing the floor and the cabinet enter in resonance, which would completely mess up the sound. I myself prefer the solid concrete floor with a layer of solid wood above it, and put a very slim rubber carpet between the cabinet and the floor.
Tile or wood. I hate playing on carpet, especially with my bassy Roadster. I always play on a wood floor at home, but at school, the stage is carpeted. The carpet absorbs a lot of the higher frequencies and makes my amp sound too, too bassy. I try to remedy that by placing my amp on a one-foot-high box--it works pretty well.

Edit: It's probably of note that, although my amp is not on a carpet, my room has a medium-sized carpet and a runner alongside my bed. So there is plenty to absorb noise, which may or may not be a bad thing.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Jan 10, 2012,
my ideal room would be close to 30' high, the room would have no 90 degree angles and have non-proportional dimensions (to cut down on standing waves). i would prefer a room's surfaces to be some type of irregular, not overly hard material, i would then go about placing deadening material/acoustic tiles where i think i may need it (where standing waves are present, or when you get too much 'beam' from reflections.

i never really thought about the floor except as another 'surface'
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 10, 2012,
I agree about it being just another surface, but your amp also has contact with the floor so I think that needs to be kept in mind.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
holy shit this is another thing i need to obsess over

to tgp posthaste!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

to tgp posthaste!

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
there was a thread today on tgp about something i lulled about. can't remember what it was.

oh yeah, now i do. it was about how much each individual b00teek tube amp differs from the others. seeing as how they're hand-wired and all.

i mean, jeez. they want them handwired so they can be all unique and awesome and all, and then complain that they're not consistent enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

to tgp posthaste!
TGP? As in TheGearPage? I thought they swore by the whole "tone is in the fingerz" crap.
I like carpet. That way I'm always stepping on something soft. Screw the tone, the comfort of my feet comes first.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Dave, go start a debate about fake vs. real wood floors, and which one has tighter bass.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^ i would but it's late now

also don't want to get banned. there's some decent info over there when you sift through all the crap. also is decent for teh lulz.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
TGP? As in TheGearPage? I thought they swore by the whole "tone is in the fingerz" crap.

what?

nah not really. or at least some might. but they're drowned out by all the boutiquers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Would they be spending $3000+ dollars on amps and countless more on boutique pedals and handwound custom pickups if they believed that.

It's a hilarious argument to listen to though. Nobody ever seems to realize that the guys who are saying it's all in the fingers generally play super dynamic amps and reasonably low gain, where the guys who say it's all in the gear tend to lean towards the super saturated tones.

Anyway, I once had to play in a venue where the stage was sitting in a large octagon shaped room with a 50 foot high ceiling where the audience was all sitting in a big square room that branched off that had a 12 foot ceiling. It was basically like playing in a giant reverb tank. Guitar solos sounded incredible... Everything else sounded like crap.
Quote by icronic
Would they be spending $3000+ dollars on amps and countless more on boutique pedals and handwound custom pickups if they believed that.
You're right, I believe I'm actually thinking of Telecaster Guitar Forum (often referred to as TGF). Makes a bit more sense that way.