The love of money may be the root of all evil, but it may also help you get into shape this year. That’s what Yifan Zhang and Geoff Oberhofer, co-founders of a new app, GymPact, hope.

Zhang and Oberhofer, Harvard graduates from 2010, were inspired by a behavioral economics class for the idea for GymPact, based in Cambridge, Mass.: reward people for going to the gym, and have people who do not go to the gym as planned pay up.

“We learned about ways financial incentives motivate behaviors,” she said. “Jeff is an athlete and thought it would be a great way to get people to the gym.”

The premise allows those who go to the gym according to their “pact” to never pay money. You provide your credit card information when you first sign up. You pay — an amount of your choosing — if you do not follow your pact.

The minimum payment per day for a missed gym outing is $5. For higher stakes, you can choose from $10 to $50 in $10 increments.

The app is free; GymPact makes profits by taking a cut when money is paid.

If you do follow your pact, you receive money via Paypal from the pool paid by the non-exercisers.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/01/gympact-app-makes-workout-skippers-pay-up/

Great idea. I'd sign up, I'm in my gym every other day more or less consistently. I can see it open to exploiting though. Would you sign up, assuming you work out/do sports or some sort of exercise not at home?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Brilliant idea. I would download it if I were more financially stable
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I'm sure that's illegal in several ways

Edit: You could make good money out of this by pretending to go to the gym every day...
Last edited by LRCGUITAR at Jan 10, 2012,
Thats pretty sweet, since I'm there most of the week.

How would they secure something like that though?
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
..How will it know if you actually go to the gym? Did i miss something?
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
I trust Harvard graduates, they come up with some great ideas...

Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

That thing would be getting too much money from me, and I wouldn't want to start comparing an app to my ex.
How does it know if people go to the gym or not though? Sounds like the app just fleeces fat people who have a guilty conscience.
Check out my fitness blog here
Ignoring the fact that I have no clue how this thing will know whether I skipped out on gyming, how the hell is this going to raise money for the people giving out the money?

I mean, for them to make any actual profit off this and not lose a **** ton of cash, they should hope that some people skip out on going to the gym, but what if everyone who gets this app is a dedicated gym member that never skips out?

Ah nevermind, read the article. Sounds neat. So you either lose x amount or gain y amount from someone who hasn't made the date.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jan 10, 2012,
I don't need an app to tell me to go to the gym, plus I don't have a smartphone.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
This seems like it would be a hassle to make it work properly. You would have to develop a system where the app confirms that you've been to the gym, and actually did something worthwhile there. Glitches, hacking, or exploits could give or take unfair/obscene amounts of money from/to people.
I'm assuming the app only lets you check in when you're at a certain location. Smartphones have GPS that can be pretty accurate, so let's say you're inside a certain radius for 30 minutes it counts that as a gym visit.
Quote by Kensai
I'm assuming the app only lets you check in when you're at a certain location. Smartphones have GPS that can be pretty accurate, so let's say you're inside a certain radius for 30 minutes it counts that as a gym visit.

Yeah that's what it said in the article, you need to check in while you are at a gym.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by ChamsRock
This seems like it would be a hassle to make it work properly. You would have to develop a system where the app confirms that you've been to the gym, and actually did something worthwhile there. Glitches, hacking, or exploits could give or take unfair/obscene amounts of money from/to people.

I agree about the glitches etc, but the article says that it doesn't matter if someone works hard or not. You could go there and sit for 30 mins, they just want to get people off their asses and into a gym.

For me, the hardest thing about going to the gym was always just putting my clothes on and getting there. This is actually pretty damn helpful.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I agree about the glitches etc, but the article says that it doesn't matter if someone works hard or not. You could go there and sit for 30 mins, they just want to get people off their asses and into a gym.

For me, the hardest thing about going to the gym was always just putting my clothes on and getting there. This is actually pretty damn helpful.

They don't want people to go to the gym, they want people to be lazy asses, that's how they make their money.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Kensai

Yeah, but how would they know that the place you set as your gym is actually a gym? You could set the location as your house, and make the app think you've been at they gym the whole time. Even if they include a check to make sure you're not in the same spot for 8+ hours, you could set it as your School/Uni/Store or wherever else you go to on a regular basis.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Yeah, but how would they know that the place you set as your gym is actually a gym? You could set the location as your house, and make the app think you've been at they gym the whole time. Even if they include a check to make sure you're not in the same spot for 8+ hours, you could set it as your School/Uni/Store or wherever else you go to on a regular basis.

I'm assuming they have some sort of verification system. Check out:

http://www.gym-pact.com/faq
If I weren't broke and literally couldn't miss a single one, I'd sign up for this - I've been meaning to get more active in taking care of myself, and one of the best ways to do that is work out and keep fit. But if my car broke down or I had to cancel because of something more important(Job, school, family, etc.) even once, I'd be in serious trouble, so I couldn't.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I saw this on the news last week. You really have to be fuck-your-auntie retarded to get this.
I, for one, welcome our well-fit and firm-buttocked overlords.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
thats a really interesting idea, but it leaves a lot of potential for scamming i think.

i wish i could lift every other day, but im in my senior year of high school, working part time, focusing on guitar to pass my music college audition, and have got a girlfriend . Shits hectic m8