I'm trying to expand my repertoire on guitarists, however, I'm not exactly a master of the instrument.

I can play a few King Crimson pieces (a few stuff from the S&BB album) and I quite like guitarists that are abit different like Larry Lalonde or Tom Morello (people who have a different approach to the instrument).

I'm trying to expand and improve my technical skills.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
you want technicality?

buckethead.

in terms of unique approaches to the instrument(as well as technicality)

steve vai.
Ye, I've listened to both of them, Buckethead mostly.

Know any of their songs where they emplement their techniques, but it's not insanely difficult?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Ye, I've listened to both of them, Buckethead mostly.

Know any of their songs where they emplement their techniques, but it's not insanely difficult?

Soothsayer isn't completely ridiculous like some of his other stuff. It has it's fast, technical parts, but overall I think it's one of Buckethead's easier songs. Also, check out John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Joe Satriani, Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo Batio, and Mattias Eklundh.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
It's not really fair to group some players with others when theres such a clear difference is skill. I've rated them by a 5 tier system, tier 1 is best.

Quote by mrbabo91

This List + Guthrie Govan Tier 2

John Petrucci Tier 2. Soloing is mediocre, riffs are top notch. , [...], Rusty Cooley Tier 4. All speed, Michael Angelo Batio Tier 4, and Mattias Eklundh ???.

Other Tier 1 players:

Andy Timmons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcKOhUQYwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MTtV7DWcOo

Greg Howe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC36Al7Pv-g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXSSxaZpXM8

Some other Tier 2s:

Reb Beach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HFl3-0hZc

How about acoustic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4
Some more to add: Jimmy Herring, Scott Henderson, Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Steve Morse, Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton, Django Reinhart, Stanley Jordan, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, Carl Verheyen, Brett Garsed, Alex Hutchings, Tom Quayle, Rick Grahm.

All should give something to learn from.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by bouttimeijoined
It's not really fair to group some players with others when theres such a clear difference is skill. I've rated them by a 5 tier system, tier 1 is best.

So by "a clear difference in skill" you're basing an objective statement off of a (seemingly arbitrary) system of tiers you've created?
Quote by bouttimeijoined

Other Tier 1 players:

Andy Timmons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcKOhUQYwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MTtV7DWcOo

Greg Howe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC36Al7Pv-g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXSSxaZpXM8

Some other Tier 2s:

Reb Beach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HFl3-0hZc

How about acoustic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

Gary Moore tier 5 ???????????? Gary fu**ing moore.

David gilmour has more skill than randy rhoads ?????

Buckethead tier 5 ???? lol lol lol lol

Steve vai tier 4 ???????

Smith and Murray tier 5 ????

Im going to stp now because i completely disagree with you ranking system. I not sure how you can even define skill.

Sorry mate but that ranking system is shit and it's clear you don't know a lot about the guitarists on the list. Gary moore tier 5.... that cracks me up.
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Jan 12, 2012,
all that bullshit about tiers

seriously?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ya I apologize for that, it was pretty uncalled for...knew it would stir the pot a bit. It just bothers me when you have pentatonic *****s like vai and buckethead taking all the credit when real virtuosos with actual creativity in their playing like Howe are struggling to get by.
Threadstarter just wants some recommendations of new artists to listen to, you can discuss their respective merits elsewhere if you feel the need
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by bouttimeijoined
Ya I apologize for that, it was pretty uncalled for...knew it would stir the pot a bit. It just bothers me when you have pentatonic *****s like vai and buckethead taking all the credit when real virtuosos with actual creativity in their playing like Howe are struggling to get by.

Vai is the opposite of a pentatonic ****. Vai is VERY creative. I could argue that Gary Moore was a virtouoso.

Anyway back on subject.

Guthrie Govan and steve lukather are another two guitarists worth checking out. Steve Lukather is pretty unheard of even though he's played on more albums than any other guitarist ever.

Great players, definitely worth checking out.
Nobody's mentioned Michael Lee Firkins so I'll mention him.

Michael Lee Firkins
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by bouttimeijoined

LOLOL Buckethead is a Ter 5 ? Vai a 4 ?
They are also pentatonic Junkies with no creativity ? LOLOLOL STEVE Mother****ing V AI ???

hahahaha
ahahahhahaha
hahahahaha

your trolling attempt has been discovered

Now GTFO please.
If you are serious, thats just sad so gtfo too.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 12, 2012,
"bouttimeijoined", I think it's bouttimeuleft. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and all of your post in this thread so far have had nothing to do with what TS wanted.

And I don't think anyone has mentioned Tommy Emmanuel yet. Definitely take a look at him.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I agree with all mrbabo counted up, added guthrie govan of course.

I would add:
Frank Gambale
Allan Holdsworth
Al di meola
Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Chris letchford (Scale the summit)
Tosin Abasi (Animals as leaders)

And Michael Romeo (Symphony X).
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Can't believe no one's mentioned George Benson, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Brian May, Eddie Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt...

... and John Scofield, Wayne Krantz, Alex Machacek...

... and..... ffs, you bitch ass mo fo's, lol... Yngwie!
My goodness some folks get so defensive.

Seriously they're all >great< players, and there is something to be gained by studying each of their techniques. I get caught up in the subtleties of bends vibratos and harmonics when looking at these guys side by side, and trust me you can just hear some guys have what others do not in this regard. Anyway, if you're really looking to expand your technique with new influences, you can only get so far listening to same kinds of rock guitar licks. And honestly you won't gain much from Vai if you don't have an array of FX, and especially if you don't have a whammy.

It all really depends on what direction you want to go. Studying Gilmour, Lane, Timmons, and Howe stuff all changed the way I look at rock guitar. Govan and Emmanuel too. I think

Stevie Ray Vaughan

needs a mention here too, the essential reference for integrating chordal playing in pentatonic blues.

Some great jazz names up here, but really they're not for everyone, especially Holdsworth. Scofield's use of tritones and that "detuned" sound have been a huge influence on me. That George Benson DVD (where he's sitting by the fire) is great for thinking about intervals in chords differently.
Anyway, if you're really looking to expand your technique with new influences, you can only get so far listening to same kinds of rock guitar licks. And honestly you won't gain much from Vai if you don't have an array of FX, and especially if you don't have a whammy.

I really don't want to further derail this thread relative to your evaluations of artists, but I'm really not getting your pigeonholing of Vai. He doesn't often to seem to especially use any more FX than most other big-name guitar heroes with complicated setups.

He does sometimes get into various wammy-tricks, but that's hardly the bread-and-butter of his style. Neither does it make sense to characterize him as a pentatonic-box kind of guy (most of the pentatonic-box kind of players I know find his playing *weird*). The first "scales" that come to my mind when I think of Steve Vai is *lydian and mixolydian*. Not pentatonics.

He started out transcribing *Frank Zappa* songs. His first album was basically an attempt to copy Zappa. Because of the Zappa link, Vai has a certain affinity with prog rock and 20th century avantegaurd music. And he has said he struggles to play regular blues - and from my opinion as an observer of some of the G3 jams, he indeed sounds awkward when put in a setting with a 12 bar blues or just a bluesy groove. Satriani's style fits that stuff much better.

What I've gained from Vai, in terms of musical ideas, are a bunch of idiosyncracies that do not sit well in a normal rock setting. "Normal rock licks" doesn't come to mind all that much.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 12, 2012,
One name that hasn't been menioned is Paul Masvidal.

Maybe you'd like him?
Quote by bouttimeijoined

Child's Play is a cool tune. He is great, although some ppl don't like Fusion, especially the purest of Blues players... probably due to the lack of phrasing.

But the whole idea in Fusion is for musicians to get together to blow. I like the section where he switches to a clean channel. Especially the keyboard embellishment at the end of that section. Nice
Last edited by mdc at Jan 19, 2012,
Quote by SamGo

Why resurrect an old thread?
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."