Ive been playing for like a week now. This whole guitar thing is frustrating. I want to do it so bad that playing guitar is all i think about. Just could use some advice is all, thanks.
Keep that obsession, you can't play for a week and be a beast. It takes time my man...like building a relationship or like good wine...just keep practicing and keep having fun with it.
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Slow down.

Take things one step at a time.

You really cannot try to over complicate the early stuff or you will hate it very quickly.

Stick to simple things and be realistic with your aims and time line.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Learn something simple, yet pleasing to play.
I suggest:
Brain Stew- Green Day
All the Small Things- blink182
Pride of San Jacinto- Reverend Horton Heat

First two are all power chords, last one is all single notes but may be a tad fast.

Just go in with the thought to learn at least one thing new a day.
Whether it be a riff, song, chord whatever, you make progress you can see and hear.

Good luck!
Find someone who is about your same skill level to jam with. It doesnt have to be a guitarist either...just someone to jam with and keep things interesting. Play some songs or come up with your own riffs. Also slowing down is a great piece of advice. Your better off nailing the notes slowly than half assing the notes fast.
well, ive only been playin for like a year and a half now, and the best thing i give for advice or something to practice just to get you goin is first of all, play what you love, i started with stuff like "iron man" and "sunshine of your love" in single notes just to get goin, but play whatever you listen to the most, if you do it that way, it wont feel like practicing, it'll feel like your just playing, even if your like me and end up playing the opening riff to iron man for a week, its still fun even if its simple, youll eventually get better if you keep playing like that, ive been playing for a year and a half and i play better than a guy i know whos been playing for 5.

to sum everything that ive taken this long paragraph to say 'just play what you love, and keep pushing your limits'...... wow, thats long lol
I believe we've all been in your shoes at one time, njknittle, I know the feeling. When I would feel that way I would change the guitar tuning for a while, it actually helped me to enjoy Standard Tuning more. Standard can make you hate the instrument when you first start out, try tuning to something like DGDGBD, DADF#AD, DADGBD, or DADGAD & just improv, mess around with it until something comes out of it that pleases you, take a break from learning scales & chords & just fool around exploring sounds!
You win for a marathon by looking at the finish line the entire race, you win by pacing yourself and focusing on where you are now. Embrace everything you learn! In a lot of ways I enjoyed learning to play the guitar more than actually playing! Celebrate your strengths and don't criticize your inadequacies.
Nobody sounds good within a week. If your expectations are to be playing songs within a week then you're better off playing Guitar Hero or Rock Band. An actual instrument - any instrument - takes several years to grow decent at and many years to become genuinely good at. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, is any good in their first year.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Like green day? Well, neither do I but you're going to learn a lot of their songs. Why? Because they're easy and catchy.

Try holiday, when I come around, American idiot etc. If your feeling up to it, go on to 21 guns.

If you really hate them its not like your obliged to do anything but their songs are easy.

And the main riff of smooth by santana. Easy and still sounds badass.

EDIT: Tom! What happened to your face?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by njknittle
Ive been playing for like a week now. This whole guitar thing is frustrating. I want to do it so bad that playing guitar is all i think about. Just could use some advice is all, thanks.

My thing was always keeping it fun. Sitting down with the guitar and learning a little progression, a new chord...whatever. Even just mindlessly plunking out notes for a few minutes can be both relaxing and a way to discover things about the instrument. If a song is too fast, slow it down & break it up into digestible chunks.

Don't turn it into a grind; don't try to run before you can walk. When practice becomes a chore, you stop practicing.

One of the things that helped me was using a Korg Px4*. It's a device about the size of a couple of packs of cards. You plug in your guitar & headphones, and it lets you practice anywhere without disturbing anyone. Included in its suite of features are a tuner, a metronome, and modeling of various amps & effect combos.

That means you can rock out with a similar sound and vibe as what you'd hear from your idols. Learning to play a Green Day song while actually having your notes sound like Green Day reinforces the pleasure of playing. Practice feels less like practice and more like fun.

* there are lots of similar devices from Line6, Tascam, and others, and they range from $100-250.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 10, 2012,
Thanks to all really did help me out. I have the patients, its just it sometimes gets frustrating. My goal is to play like that of Metallica. They've been my inspiration since i was listening to music. And i just made it my New Years Resolution, to learn how to play guitar. Im not the one to give up so easily, i have the time to practice and i will learn to play guitar. I just dont want to learn it half-assed and play like crap 2 years down the road...
Pick out some easy songs like smoke on the water and iron man and learn them. Also try some lessons at justinguitar.com as well as make some flash cards with notes and chords and have a jam buddy or just a friend show you a single card at a time and try to guess the correct fret/frets and vice versa. Not to mention you can try to get a copy of Rocksmith for Xbox360, PS3, or computer. The game will help you enjoy playing a little more as you learn and the game will also help you with your chords and scales.
If you have the patience, you won't get frustrated after a week. Some guidance would definitely help.

Work on calluses. Spend time working out individual fingers. It'll hurt the tips for a little while, especially if you spend enough time on it. Do single-note exercises (think TV ads, theme songs, and simple riffs). Around the same time, dedicate a few minutes on chords. It's common to use just the index finger or index/ring when you first start. Learn open chords so you're using 3 or 4 fingers at once, even if you're strumming more than changing position.

And putting your guitar in alternate tunings, as suggested by DoubleBassCrash, isn't a good idea. That's like asking a first-semester language student to work on his or her sentence variety. You should familiarize yourself with the instrument in standard tuning first.

EDIT: I'm nit-picking, but it's "morale," not "moral."
I am a fake mountain.
Last edited by DanTheHobbit at Jan 11, 2012,
Geez, you've only been playing a week. If playing guitar was easy, everyone would do it.

It's going to take awhile, keep your nose in it and it will pay off.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Youve been playing a week and youre suprised youre not Slash?

Come one, if you want instant gratification dont start learning a musical instrument, unless its the kazoo.

I remember when i first started playing, changing chords was so slow and difficult. I couldnt even imagine a time i would be able to do it in time, never mind without looking at my left hand.

Just keep at it, improvement will come in small amounts and slowly but its worth it. Playing any musical instrument has got to be one of the most rewarding things anyone can do
Been mentioned before but Justin Guitar is pretty useful. I even use his lessons sometime for the theory.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Take your time, its very important to learn proper technique, you can learn songs at first also to keep things fun. These lessons aren't bad for a beginner, just remember to take your time.

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
This is very boring but learn to play with a metronome as soon as you can.

So...

Beats: One Two Three Four

Strum: Down Down Down Down

You follow? Tap your foot to the clicks of the metronome as you play. It's difficult at first, but it gets easier pretty quick, the more you do it.

Then, after you have nailed that, if you haven't got that 100% don't move on. Make sure you really learn it first.

Beats: One + Two + Three + Four +

So same scenario as last time. Strum down on the beats (one, two, three, four). Then on the "+" (one the "off beat") strum up. So you should be strumming down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up if you're doing it right. Again, make sure you're tapping your foot along with the metronome. Do that until you get it perfect.

Make sure you do it slow. For reference, the beat of your heart is about 60bpm (beats per minute). That's probably a good starting point for this. So strumming the first part, you will strum 60 times times in a minute. As it's one beat per second. The second part, as you're strumming up too, there'll be 120 strums in a minute, thus sounding twice as fast.

You have to start slow to build up speed.

Here's a free online metronome.

On the outer wheel, click the number that says 60 and then click the On button.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by njknittle
Thanks to all really did help me out. I have the patients, its just it sometimes gets frustrating. My goal is to play like that of Metallica. They've been my inspiration since i was listening to music. And i just made it my New Years Resolution, to learn how to play guitar. Im not the one to give up so easily, i have the time to practice and i will learn to play guitar. I just dont want to learn it half-assed and play like crap 2 years down the road...

dude hate to rain on your parade but chances are that you will not being nailing metallica after 2 years let alone a week or two of playing.

when i teach (and i it's mainly new players) i give my "you will suck" speach before starting. real guitar isn't Guitar Hero and takes time. some will learn faster than others and some never really get it at all. you may find that playing metallica style isn't what you excell at on guitar. no reason to get frustrated you just need realistic expectations. if my students can tune their guitar properly and play an open A and E chord after a week i'm impressed. it will come with time.

one other thing. the desire to play music really has to come from within. a new years resolution can be brought on by many things that really don't stem from a genuine desire to make music. tons of people try to play an instrument and don't stick with it. if it was easy everyone would do it and it would no longer be special.
Just play what you like to play! I think you should just learn some chords like E, A, G, and stuff. After getting those learn to barre using the E shaped and A shaped fingerings. That's what I did, and I don't regret it!
I dont see myself any better than someone else thats just learning to play the guitar, but i went to the local music store this morning and went to the guitar department, with my guitar and amp, and asked the manager he could just show me some pointers when it comes to playing guitar. And so we sat down. *Note, this was all in a 4 hour time period* And well he told me to keep practicing the most basic of chords. And so he laid out 7-8 chords. Within the first 2-3 hours i was playing all them "fairly well" so he put it. He then asked me how long i was playing, and i just replied, "about a week." He said he couldn't believe how well i picked up on the chords like i did. He said i had something like i was "Musically Intelligent" which meant i could pick up on things quite easily. I got a free month worth of lessons out of the deal cause he said he really wanted to work with me. Just thought i would share this anecdote with you all.
Happy for you, just don't give up.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
You have both aptitude and attitude. That's good. Also keep in mind that the music shop manager could have been either honest or looking for a sale. Learn early to not be a sucker. Always do your research.

It does sound like he just wants you to learn (this is from a teacher's standpoint). Some casual hobbyists might spend a few hours chatting, but it's not particularly likely. If he's willing to work with you, and you honestly have the drive to do your homework, take advantage of it. Advice online is fine, but having a competent teacher in the real world to foster your abilities is a commodity. Prove your dedication to him and yourself.
I am a fake mountain.