Okay, It's about time a make my ideal guitar...

I want to buy THIS premade guitar body

and get a excellent neck made for me from a local luthier for about $180~$280.

I'll buy and get the luthier to set up my desired pickups, pots, hardware and electronics for about $450 and the paint, finish another $100

For the price of an intermediate or gibson junior... I can get a top tier guitar...

So the final question...

is it worth the potential roadbumps and hassle to get my project completed?
???
Last edited by solidrane at Jan 10, 2012,
nope

by the time you're done realizing that your 100$ paint job is a 400$ paint job, that you forgot to take hardware into consideration, you could have just bought a low end gibson.

and all at the end of it all you'll have a guitar that you would be lucky to give away if you wanted an exit plan.

I've been there. I've done that. I regret it. It's a neat experience but it's a waste of time and money.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
nope

by the time you're done realizing that your 100$ paint job is a 400$ paint job, that you forgot to take hardware into consideration, you could have just bought a low end gibson.

and all at the end of it all you'll have a guitar that you would be lucky to give away if you wanted an exit plan.

I've been there. I've done that. I regret it. It's a neat experience but it's a waste of time and money.

Yes I understand the consequences, you seem to have a personal experience but the finish being a plain nitro laquer and toning, no paint, no dye.

The initial hardware is some cheap gotoh knockoff tuner and bridge but after I've tested the neck set, and overall feel... I'll swap out for the real stuff...
???
There's much, much more to a 'top-tier guitar' than just slapping together some pieces of wood and throwing brand pickups in there. Ask anyone on the Warmoth forums. You've got to really know what you're doing and you have to make sure you're not only using the right parts but also the right tools. You could buy an MIA body and neck and hardware and electronics but if you don't put it together right you'll end up with something barely on par with MIM/MIK/MIC guitars.

If you are hell-bent on piecing something together, do go for a proper parts-guitar maker like Warmoth or USACG. Then you can order everything at once so you at least know it'll all fit as well as possible.

Also, it is a false economy to piece guitars together on the cheap in place of a more expensive one you really want. Give it a year, perhaps even just five or six months, and you'll be wanting the real thing again. In the end it is faster and cheaper to wait now, save up and buy what you really want first time around.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
There's much, much more to a 'top-tier guitar' than just slapping together some pieces of wood and throwing brand pickups in there. Ask anyone on the Warmoth forums. You've got to really know what you're doing and you have to make sure you're not only using the right parts but also the right tools. You could buy an MIA body and neck and hardware and electronics but if you don't put it together right you'll end up with something barely on par with MIM/MIK/MIC guitars.

If you are hell-bent on piecing something together, do go for a proper parts-guitar maker like Warmoth or USACG. Then you can order everything at once so you at least know it'll all fit as well as possible.

Also, it is a false economy to piece guitars together on the cheap in place of a more expensive one you really want. Give it a year, perhaps even just five or six months, and you'll be wanting the real thing again. In the end it is faster and cheaper to wait now, save up and buy what you really want first time around.

The thing is... I've been pondering around with this idea for ages... you're right about the "give it a year" because i've been jumping from brand to brand and state to state checking out my options but this I agree this is pretty "hit or miss" but I'm ready to feel the consequence or benefits... right now I've got nothing to lose but a little cash I can earn back in half a year...
???
The potential roadbumps and hassles are part of the reason why you pay less, so whether or not that's "worth it" is up to you.

Personally, I see no problem with putting together a guitar from parts. And it's a bolt-on neck, seriously, it's a matter of 4 screws, a neck plate and 5 minutes, the bridge has already been drilled, it requires minimal effort on your part. It's not difficult, but your idea that you can get a high end guitar for cheap may end up letting you down. Trust me on this one, it's probably going to cost you more than you were anticipating, especially if you are going to have someone else do all the work for you.

To me the two benefits of going this route are...

1) you get to choose exactly what you want
2) you learn something by doing something

There is no way to circumvent costs. Unless you have a luthier that just does things SUPER cheap, you're not going to get a $2000 guitar for <$1000. If you want to save money, then you'll have to do some of the work yourself.
If you are getting everything from someplace like Warmoth then you can be assured that it'll all fit correctly. Assembling the guitar really isn't that bad at all. I have yet to order from Warmoth so I don't know what their fret jobs are like but everyone says they make top notch product. It's finishing that usually causes the most problem. With a few tools you can install all the hardware without much hassle. With no experiece or talent for painting or whatever other finishing you are doing you can make a mess of the end product.