I bought a Baby Taylor in Mahogany a week ago. When I first got it tuning was a breeze and it sounded really great. Well I live in Texas and its gotten really cold lately. Something is wrong with the heater in my house and only my room is really cold. My guitar suddenly won't say in pitch now. The problem is only with my three low strings. My tuner keeps saying that the string is too sharp and I have to loosen the strings a lot. After playing I check again and it tells me my strings are too sharp again. I've had strings go flat after playing and whatnot but never sharp. Is it the coldness that is causing this? If so what can I do to fix it?

Thanks.
Quote by stepchildusmc
dont put it in your room if its the only room affected????

I can't cus the rest of the rest of the house is really warm and I don't want to deal with humidifiers
looks like the only reasonable solution is to just send it to me for safe-keeping!!! here in NY, we dont have that problem much.its either freaking hot or damn cold, not much in between. 2 humidifiers and 2 de-humidifiers in my mancave where i keep my guitars. i'll find a spot on my wall for your Baby, dont fret.
colder air holds less humidity - the problem could well be that the guitar is too dry, not too cold. of course, heaters also dry air, so chances are your entire house could be too dry to keep a guitar healthy.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Keep the guitar in its case (hard care would be preferable but soft case would do too) when you're not playing, do not keep the guitar on a wall or stand for long periods of time, even tho they're nice to look at and easier to pick up Also always keep a soundhole humidifier or similar with the guitar in the case at all times and make sure to keep it moist. If you can help it, keep away from radiators, fireplaces and other heat sources and windows.
Quote by Steve BP
Cold temperatures will reduce the relative humidity ...
Not true, hot air will hold more water. When temperatures cool, the RH actually rises. This is how you get fog. Air at a warmer temp holds X amount of water. When that air cools, it won't hold as much water, and the water condenses out as fog.

Please note, the warmer air has to be near its saturation point to begin with, for fog to form as it cools.

Granted, RH tends to be lower in the winter, but that's simply because the air is drier in the winter.

In a temperate zone such as Philadelphia or NYC, weather patterns affect RH. In the summer, air flow is largely from the south west, bringing air up from the Gulf of Mexico. In the Winter the air flow is from the north and Canada.

Hot air heaters drop RH. The same amount of water is still in the air, but the relative humidity is lower because the air has been warmed to a temperature that would allow it to hold more water.

Heaters such as unvented gas and kerosene, actually add humidity to the air, as water is a byproduct of combustion. In a standard heater vented to the outside, the water produced goes up the chimney.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 16, 2012,
wow ! you obviously got an A in science! thats prettty impressive. i'll stick with damn hot or freakin' cold( -17 this morning BTW, that's almost as cold as my ex's ...umm...uhh.. fingernails...yeah ! yeah ! fingernails ! that's it !)
Somewhat off topic here, my apologies to the OP.

Comedian Lewis Black and his take on cold weather.

Please don't watch if you offended by profanity or you only go to school for half days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpgai0n0cI
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.