One of the biggest debates has been wether these amps(20 watters specially) can achieve metal. So I have decided to open a discussion on that subject. Any experiences or reviews or any information to help some of us metal players on a budget. The idea for me is because I have been told low wattage amps arent good for metal. But, I have a wife that bitches about my vypyr 15 being too loud. So I'm not that comfortable going up to 60 watts. Some people love jet citys some people DO NOT. Let the great debate start....Keep in mind some of us are trying to upgrade from the bare minimum like myself...
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Why not use headphones? The Jet City is going to be even louder than the Vypyr.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I move around from room to room.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Tell your wife to shut the fuck up and strike her across the face, because that's metal.

In all seriouslyness though the JCA's going to be way louder than your Vypyr, infact every amp minus those mini ones will be. You'll either have to tell her to deal with it, play somewhere else, or never use your mapz potential.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Tell your wife to shut the fuck up and strike her across the face, because that's metal.

In all seriouslyness though the JCA's going to be way louder than your Vypyr, infact every amp minus those mini ones will be. You'll either have to tell her to deal with it, play somewhere else, or never use your mapz potential.

thats not the issue, lets focus on the amps LOL.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Do your best not to abuse her.........

As mentioned, it'll be noticably louder than the vypyr.

I've tried the 20 watter recently and it could probably do metal with a boost. Has enough gain for a nice rock tone.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by rageahol
You're gonna need EMGs and a tubescreamer. Mmmm...

i plan on getting one if I get the 20 watt. but i dont have emgs. I wanna upgrade pickups, maybe ill get some invaders because I dont wanna deal with installing a battery also. seems complicated.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by rageahol
You're gonna need EMGs and a tubescreamer. Mmmm...

EMGs aren't necessary. The JCA20 can get metal by itself, even. Boosting isn't a bad idea though.

The JCA2212 or JCA22H gets more gain, but it's also a little more expensive. It's also got two channels, one clean and one dirty.

If loudness isn't THAT much of a problem, then I'd look at the JCA22.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
EMGs aren't necessary. The JCA20 can get metal by itself, even. Boosting isn't a bad idea though.

The JCA2212 or JCA22H gets more gain, but it's also a little more expensive. It's also got two channels, one clean and one dirty.

If loudness isn't THAT much of a problem, then I'd look at the JCA22.

its not that much, to me 60 watts is overkill for what I need it for. thats all.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
In my opinion, the higher wattage ones (with the exception of the 5212rc) are great for all kinds of metal, but the 20 watters just really don't cut it, being that they'[re a totally different circuit. Even with a boost, I don't think it's a very good metal sound at all, but that's me.

I suggest saving up for the JCA5012c. 50 watts isn't any more overkill than 20 watts are. Hell, even 10 watts tube is overkill for home usage. Just use the volume knob and you'll be fine. You don't have to turn it to the max all the time to get a good sound.

Getting the perfect sound comes before worrying about whether it's overkill or not.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
In my opinion, the higher wattage ones (with the exception of the 5212rc) are great for all kinds of metal, but the 20 watters just really don't cut it, being that they'[re a totally different circuit. Even with a boost, I don't think it's a very good metal sound at all, but that's me.

I suggest saving up for the JCA5012c. 50 watts isn't any more overkill than 20 watts are. Hell, even 10 watts tube is overkill for home usage. Just use the volume knob and you'll be fine. You don't have to turn it to the max all the time to get a good sound.

Getting the perfect sound comes before worrying about whether it's overkill or not.

I dont have to save up. I can buy whatever amp I want. but how is the 50 watt comparable to the peavey 6505 112? because it is the same price. no real benefiet to buying that instead right?
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
I dont have to save up. I can buy whatever amp I want. but how is the 50 watt comparable to the peavey 6505 112? because it is the same price. no real benefiet to buying that instead right?
Depends on what kind of sounds that you want. The 6505 has a ton of gain would give the usual tones you hear in most modern metal as countless death metal/metalcore bands have used it (so it pretty much defines modern metal sound), though lacks a good clean channel and can sound quite fizzy. The 5012c, however, while also has plenty of gain for anything has a different kind of sound to it than the 6505 (think a mix between British and American voicing), would be able to cover more genres than just metal, and would have far better cleans than the 6505.
ohh cool, thanks man. ill check that out for sure.. because i like to do clean stuff and white stripe style stuff.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The JCA20 wasn't designed around metal, it's meant to be a sweet rock and blues machine. With a boost and tube swap it can push into metal territory, though I wouldn't buy one for that use alone. However the JCA22 and it's 2nd channel offers a better voicing and gain structure for metal and other aggressive tones. I'd definitely spring for the 22 over the 20 if metal is your aim. And highly recommend the JCA50/100 over that, for the 6L6's
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
The JCA20 wasn't designed around metal, it's meant to be a sweet rock and blues machine. With a boost and tube swap it can push into metal territory, though I wouldn't buy one for that use alone. However the JCA22 and it's 2nd channel offers a better voicing and gain structure for metal and other aggressive tones. I'd definitely spring for the 22 over the 20 if metal is your aim. And highly recommend the JCA50/100 over that, for the 6L6's

really considering the 50 now. thanks.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'd rather have a 50 than my 100 in all honesty, it would be easier to overdrive at a little lower volume. I think in a band situation I would need an attenuator to get the best sound from mine without overpowering the entire band.

Also the difference in volume between 10W, 20, and 50 is negligible in the tube world. They're all obnoxiously loud. The difference is the power section (PT/OT capacity, el84 vs 6l6) and the amount of headroom the amp in question has. The general rule of thumb is in order to double to volume through the same speaker you have to multiply the wattage by ten. In other words, a 100W amp is twice as loud as a 10W going through the same cab.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
I'd rather have a 50 than my 100 in all honesty, it would be easier to overdrive at a little lower volume. I think in a band situation I would need an attenuator to get the best sound from mine without overpowering the entire band.

Also the difference in volume between 10W, 20, and 50 is negligible in the tube world. They're all obnoxiously loud. The difference is the power section (PT/OT capacity, el84 vs 6l6) and the amount of headroom the amp in question has. The general rule of thumb is in order to double to volume through the same speaker you have to multiply the wattage by ten. In other words, a 100W amp is twice as loud as a 10W going through the same cab.

ohhh okay. im just lost because I really dont want to spend $600 and I dont want another modeling amp. and i really dont want to go used lol. sometimes i just wanna be like **** a tube amp.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
What's wrong with used?

Let someone else take the sticker shock, except for the two Deans in my sig everything I've ever owned has been used. You get a wayyyyyyyy better deal for your cash that way. Baller on a budget, so to speak
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by Flux'D
What's wrong with used?

Let someone else take the sticker shock, except for the two Deans in my sig everything I've ever owned has been used. You get a wayyyyyyyy better deal for your cash that way. Baller on a budget, so to speak

just dont want anything crapping out on me I guess. would be smart to go that route. my thing is im just a beginner learning the ropes, I just want to improve my sound a bit. playing through an 8 inch speaker blows, specially since I enjoy playing loud. im actually thinking about modifying this vypyr I have anyways.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Jan 10, 2012,
do you guys know if the dual channel combos come with the footswitch?
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I would assume they did? All their other 2 channel amps come with it. Also there's two different 50w combos, one has the channels like the 50/100 head and the other is a different amp entirely.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
I would assume they did? All their other 2 channel amps come with it. Also there's two different 50w combos, one has the channels like the 50/100 head and the other is a different amp entirely.

yeah I gathered that by looking at them. I really just want to get the single channel 20 watt lol. im just a beginner and dont feel like spending $600 on a amp. i just want somehting better than my vypyr honestly. doesnt have to be amazing. im a simple guitar player.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A