Poll Options
View poll results: Ironic?
Yes.
25 40%
No.
38 60%
Voters: 63.
Page 1 of 2
Would you consider ordering a diet drink from a fast food restaurant along with a high calorie meal ironic?

EDIT: Disregarding taste as a factor.

EDIT2: I don't necessarily have anything against it, just discussing this with a friend.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Jan 10, 2012,
I don't get what people have against it. I can get 1200 calories from my typical fast food meal with an xl coke, or I can get 800 calories from it with an diet coke. It's a pretty big difference, not some pointless trifle because you're already eating unhealthily.
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
Obviously, diet is going to help me lose weight...

How is diet soda going to help you lose weight when you add along side it a high calorie, unhealthy fast food meal?
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
I drink diet soda so that I can eat more real food. Just because it says "Diet" in the name doesn't mean you have to be on a diet. I just don't see the point in drinking 300 calories along with the 800 I'm already eating, when I can have almost the same thing for no calories.

EDIT: KGB, as long as you burn less calories than you take in, you will lose weight. Diet soda is just one tool you can use to help keep your intake down.
Last edited by aildeokl at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
Obviously, diet is going to help me lose weight...

Duhh.... Don't know why everybody else can't figure that one out....
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
I guess its like picking the best poison. If im at a fast food restaurant im going to order that xl coke just cause I can lol. Yeah i find it ironic in a small way
Quote by blake1221
Not ironic, but useless and laughably stupid. Unless you like the taste.

Word.

I consider drinking diet soda in general to be useless & laughably stupid, regardless of what you're drinking it with. If yr on a diet, just lay off the soda.

I mean it's like "hurrdurr, diet time, better drink Diet Coke, 'cuz this fake-ass processed sugar chemical makes it better for me than regular Coke. Those pounds'll be comin' off in no time."

I just don't get the reasoning behind it.
No.

Quote by neidnarb11890
Word.

I consider drinking diet soda in general to be useless & laughably stupid, regardless of what you're drinking it with. If yr on a diet, just lay off the soda.

I mean it's like "hurrdurr, diet time, better drink Diet Coke, 'cuz this fake-ass processed sugar chemical makes it better for me than regular Coke. Those pounds'll be comin' off in no time."

You've obviously never heard of diabetes.

stratkat
Some people like diet sodas believe it or not. I don't see how people enjoy the taste, but to each their own.
Quote by blake1221
Not ironic, but useless and laughably stupid. Unless you like the taste.

/thread
Quote by neidnarb11890
Word.

Lower caloric intake is typically half of the equation for losing weight. Replacing regular soda with diet soda facilitates lower caloric intake, particularly if you already drink a lot of soda. Just because drinking no soda at all is even better for you, doesn't mean that the diet isn't better than the regular from a caloric standpoint. It's pretty simple, I don't understand how people can fail to grasp the concept.

It's like saying "pffft, walk three miles a day to lose weight? you should just run 5 miles a day because it's way better for you." Well, either is much better for you than sitting on your ass.

And discussions about the supposed hazards of artificial sweeteners aren't really relevant to the weight loss discussion here.
Quote by KGB_INC
How is diet soda going to help you lose weight when you add along side it a high calorie, unhealthy fast food meal?

The bubbles man. The bubbles...
Quote by aildeokl
EDIT: KGB, as long as you burn less calories than you take in, you will lose weight. Diet soda is just one tool you can use to help keep your intake down.

"A study performed at the University of Texas discovered that consumers of diet soft drinks were 65% more likely to become overweight and 41% more likely to become obese, during a seven to eight year period. Regular soft drinks did not have any significant effect."

Quote by dullsilver_mike
And discussions about the supposed hazards of artificial sweeteners aren't really relevant to the weight loss discussion here.

If the artificial sweeteners have an impact on weight gain (and they do) then it is completely relevant.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
You know what works better for a healthy drink than diet soda?

Water.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
You know what works better for a healthy drink than diet soda?

Water.

"But you can't expect a normal human being to only drink water ever!"

Gonna keep pouring gas on the proverbial fire as long as I can. Makes for interesting debate.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by KGB_INC
"But you can't expect a normal human being to only drink water ever!"

Holy shit I'm an alien.

...This actually explains a lot.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
i wish they served beer in fast food restaurants I hate being forced to get soda if I go there and don't want water; also wish it was okay to drink beer while driving(obviously not enough to be over legal limit) and in public
Quote by aildeokl

Whether or not there's fake chemicals in it, there's less calories. As long as you take in less calories than you burn, then you'll lose weight.

Its a lot more solid of logic than "If I eat a crap ton of salad instead of what I usually eat, I'll lose weight." 1000 calories is 1000 calories whether its salad, or Taco Bell.

Nobody who knows anything about the human body tells you to eat 1000 calories of salad instead of 1000 calories of sugar if you want to lose weight.

I'm pretty much certain that dieting does absolutely fuck all. Exercise is what does it. Dieting only helps if you're exercising and does sweet fuck all on it's own.
Quote by EuBoat
You've obviously never heard of diabetes.

Oh I heard about it, I even had a diabetic cat. We didn't give him soda.

Lower caloric intake is typically half of the equation for losing weight. Replacing regular soda with diet soda facilitates lower caloric intake, particularly if you already drink a lot of soda. Just because drinking no soda at all is even better for you, doesn't mean that the diet isn't better than the regular from a caloric standpoint. It's pretty simple, I don't understand how people can fail to grasp the concept.

It's like saying "pffft, walk three miles a day to lose weight? you should just run 5 miles a day because it's way better for you." Well, either is much better for you than sitting on your ass.

Touche, I guess my line of reasoning was just "hey, wanna lose weight? don't drink three sodas a day" 'cuz that's what I normally do. It never ocurred to me that some people would say "hey, wanna lose weight? drink three diet sodas a day."

I know, but it tastes gross.

Jesus you cats are touchy about yr soda. :3
Quote by neidnarb11890

Best post I've read all day
Quote by necrosis1193
Holy shit I'm an alien.

...This actually explains a lot.

I'll say, you hate puns and drink water. Odd little thing you are.

OT: Does it really matter what other people eat/drink? As long as it's not your food/you, I don't think it should matter.

Diet coke tastes like ass though.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Then you're a horrible person

stratkat
It's funny when I see "Diet" on a soda, because its just a ruse to get you to buy the same soda with a slightly different taste and a small difference in calories.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by Trizek
It's funny when I see "Diet" on a soda, because its just a ruse to get you to buy the same soda with a slightly different taste and a small difference in calories.

Most diet sodas are 0 calories per 8 oz instead of the typical 110 calories per 8 oz. I'd think that adds up for anyone who drinks a couple sodas a day and is trying to have a typical 2000 kcal /day.
Quote by Trizek
You mean a very clear difference in calories, surely.

stratkat
Quote by dullsilver_mike

But there's a theory out there that artificial sweeteners increase your appetite, particularly cravings for high carb/high glycemic index foods. Fast food usually is already too high GI, with the white breads full of sugar and high fructose corn syrup, the potatoes, etc.

Even "healthy" options like salads come loaded with corn syrup dressings, high GI dried fruit, and calorie-dense nuts. Yogurts may be fat free, but pack even more calories from the sweeteners and fillers.

It's pretty easy to take in way more than 2K calories a day if you're eating even one fast food meal. And you're a lot more likely to cave in to other unhealthy snacks since it makes you insulin-resistant.

But back to the artificial sweetener issue, the scientific and statistical evidence seems to indicate you're more likely to keep your weight under control by avoiding "diet" drinks and sweets, even if your partake in the non-diet versions. The issue may be much more relevant than you think.

Don't believe me? I don't care; go look it up or try it for yourself. But don't blame me if you get diabetes.

BTW, everyone I know who got non-hereditary diabetes consumed lots of fast food; some got enough exercise that they weren't obese, but they still got diabetes. And the ones who are obese tend to use a lot of "diet" products, yet they keep gaining weight no matter how much they exercise. Yeah, that's anecdotal, and not statistically significant, but it matches the statistically significant studies out there.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Most diet sodas are 0 calories per 8 oz instead of the typical 110 calories per 8 oz. I'd think that adds up for anyone who drinks a couple sodas a day and is trying to have a typical 2000 kcal /day.

I stand corrected. But something still leads me to think that the nutrient facts are a lie.

I guess learned something new.

Quote by EuBoat
You mean a very clear difference in calories, surely.

Yea the can may say it....but I don't trust it. I guess I'm just paranoid.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Last edited by Trizek at Jan 10, 2012,
Apart from in pretty specific cases, people with diabetes should always go for a diet option anyway regardless of whether they're trying to lose weight or not.

stratkat
Quote by jetwash69

But back to the artificial sweetener issue, the scientific and statistical evidence seems to indicate you're more likely to keep your weight under control by avoiding "diet" drinks and sweets, even if your partake in the non-diet versions. The issue may be much more relevant than you think.

Don't believe me? I don't care; go look it up or try it for yourself. But don't blame me if you get diabetes.

BTW, everyone I know who got non-hereditary diabetes consumed lots of fast food; some got enough exercise that they weren't obese, but they still got diabetes. And the ones who are obese tend to use a lot of "diet" products, yet they keep gaining weight no matter how much they exercise. Yeah, that's anecdotal, and not statistically significant, but it matches the statistically significant studies out there.

I haven't looked up the weight loss side of the issue and you could well be right. I was trying to avoid the usual protesting about artificial sweeteners causing cancer (in any conceivable dose a person could consume) and other direct health problems--I have looked at those poorly done and non-repeated studies and found them very unconvincing.

I'm ready to accept a correlation between the diet sodas and being overweight, but do you think it might have more to do with the attitude of "I'm eating some diet stuff, so I can binge eat elsewhere" then artificial sweeteners themselves? Perhaps there's a big difference in attitude and caloric intake outside from non-soda products between the typical person willing to "go all in" on a healthy lifestyle and one that attempts to just downgrade parts of his or her nutritional vices.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by Butt Rayge
Nobody who knows anything about the human body tells you to eat 1000 calories of salad instead of 1000 calories of sugar if you want to lose weight.

I'm pretty much certain that dieting does absolutely fuck all. Exercise is what does it. Dieting only helps if you're exercising and does sweet fuck all on it's own.

The only catch is that in real life, if you eat 1000 calories of sugar, then you're a lot more likely to end up eating a lot more food than that because it will make you crave more.

Even if you didn't eat more than just a 1000 calories of sugar, your body will turn it into fat faster (unless you're burning it off with hours intense exercise). The glycemic index measures how quickly foods are turned into sugar in your blood, which also translates into how quickly your body stores it as fat if it can't use it right away. Add to that the factor of insulin resistance and increased cravings to get the triple threat. It's really insidious.

So yeah, some forms of dieting can be counter-productive. They can increase binging behaviors, and/or they can reduce muscle mass (which will slow metabolism).

But if your idea of dieting is sticking to low-GI, low calorie-dense foods, limiting caloric intake to less than what you burn, and exercising enough to keep your metabolism up, then it can be very effective.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
...I'm ready to accept a correlation between the diet sodas and being overweight, but do you think it might have more to do with the attitude of "I'm eating some diet stuff, so I can binge eat elsewhere" then artificial sweeteners themselves? Perhaps there's a big difference in attitude and caloric intake outside from non-soda products between the typical person willing to "go all in" on a healthy lifestyle and one that attempts to just downgrade parts of his or her nutritional vices.

Perhaps. That's one reason I'm staying very tentative about the whole thing. There's not enough studies to be sure, and so many more aspects and variables we need to research.

Speaking for myself, I have more cravings when I induldge in sweets, and the cravings are a lot worse when I've had "sugar free" or other diet items. Sleep deprivation and stress can be factors too.

BTW, the people who just drink water could take the "so I can binge eat elsewhere" as much or more than the diet soda drinkers, but you don't seem to see that happening. My personal belief is that supports the cause and effect theory of artificial sweeteners and cravings. But it's just one factor out of many.

Great topic.
Quote by Butt Rayge

Dieting helps....

Say you need 2100 calories a day to maintain your weight, and you eat 1800. That's 300 calories less than what you need so your body goes looking elsewhere for energy. Adds up over time if you keep your metabolism up . 3500 calories = about 1lb of fat/body tissue. Say if that same person who only needs 2100 eats 2500 everyday, and then burns off 400 calories a day with exercise. They'll get nowhere. Combine dieting and exercise together and you will lose weight.
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by corndog97 at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by corndog97
Dieting helps....

Say you need 2100 calories a day to maintain your weight, and you eat 1800. That's 300 calories less than what you need so your body goes looking elsewhere for energy. Adds up over time if you keep your metabolism up . 3500 calories = about 1lb of fat/body tissue. Say if that same person who only needs 2100 eats 2500 everyday, and then burns off 400 calories a day with exercise. They'll get nowhere. Combine dieting and exercise together and you will lose weight.

The trick is maintaining the willpower to consume less than you burn long enough to lose the weight, then stay in maintenance mode long term.

The science seems to point in the direction that although they sometimes have less calories, the diet sweets might actually be counterproductive, even if there's no artificial sweeteners. Because they make it harder to stick to your calorie intake goals by making you hungrier.
I don't drink sodie pops.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I hate diet soda. I like soda, but I'll drink water before diet soda. Doesn't taste bad and it's better for you anyway.
People who like diet soda are retarded. It tastes bad, gives you cancer, and funds terrorism.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 2