I tried to do a search but couldn't find a specific due to so many threads. I'm looking to buy a big muff pi, but I'm confused on which one I want to buy. I have the choice of the original or the one with tone wicker. Is the one with tone wicker, the same as the original muff, but with that added feature? I'd appreciate if anyone can help me out with that. Because I love the tone of the original.
Theres a demo on youtube by gearmandude comparing the big muff, little big muff, and big muff w/tone wicker, you might wanna check that out. I love my Regular big muff, modded it for flat mids and soon adding a tone bypass, feedback loop, and voltage cut. If i had to choose again, id probably still go with the regular NYC muff and mod it.
get an old russian one
my shitty rig:
fender mim tele -> eqd hoof fuzz -> fender blues jr.
Quote by genuklein
get an old russian one

That's the ticket there, Russian muffs rule.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I don't want a russian one. I want to find out the difference in tone between the original and the one with tone wicker. As I don't know much about the russian one. Unless someone can clarify why to get it.
Russian muffs have slightly more mids, sound a lot smoother (less "fuzzy" and more "distortiony") and have a beefier sound in general (especially in the low end). US muffs sound a bit wimpier in comparison. This is something I personally experienced when I put my last edition Russian muff versus my friend's LBM.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
It's still a fuzz, it just sounds more smooth. That's really the best way to describe it. I would strongly recommend that you at least look into it. Here's a great A/B comparison, you can really hear the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu4ZOyHUr0g

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Interesting video and very good comparison. I think I'm going to go with the USA one though, sounds more similar to what I'm looking for. Thank you for sharing that though, it was good to consider it. So now it's a matter of the original or tonewicker. I can get the original big muff sound out of the one with the tonewicker, correct?
It really depends on what you're going for. Honestly, I prefer the normal Big Muff Pi as it's noisy and fuzzy and all that stuff.

The Tone Wicker gives the pedal a more versatile tone, it's true bypass, and it's smaller. But, there's nothing quite like the sound you get from the Big Muff Pi.
If you build it they will come.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The Russian has a more creamy. I also hear they're more prone to breakage, though I haven't ever had one. Differences between the Regular and LBM/Tone Wicker are:
- pcb mount components for the LBM/TW
- size
- slightly different resistor/cap values here and there for slight differences in sound.
- LBM has more gain in the trannies. I think the TW does too
- Regular will be easier to do mods on

If you can make one, my personal fav. is the ram's head muff
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
If you can make one, my personal fav. is the ram's head muff

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by OrgyoftheRats
I tried to do a search but couldn't find a specific due to so many threads. I'm looking to buy a big muff pi, but I'm confused on which one I want to buy. I have the choice of the original or the one with tone wicker. Is the one with tone wicker, the same as the original muff, but with that added feature? I'd appreciate if anyone can help me out with that. Because I love the tone of the original.

There are a few iterations of the Muff out there. As far as I know, the BMP w/Tone Wicker is almost the same as current production big box Muffs, only it's added a switch to bypass the tone section. This is supposed to reduce the mid-scoop, but you'll lose the tone control when you bypass it. There's also a switch to filter the highs differently.

If I had to choose between those two, I'd probably go for the Tone Wicker, just for the fact you can remove the midscoop. That said, there are a tonne of mods out there for the standard Muff, so you could effectively make it the same as the Tone Wicker, or, do something crazy to it. Definitely go try them out in store and see which you like better, though.

Do you have a set budget? Otherwise, you should look into some other muffs that are being built right now. Stomp Under Foot recreates just about every muff circuit, and the Blackout Effectors Musket has some neat options to it as well. There are also a few builders here would who could whip you up something unique, if you asked.
Quote by poppameth
Is there a kit available for the Ram's Head type? I've found them at Stomp Under Foot but they are pricey.

The kit from General Guitar Gadgets can make any variation... And they have layouts for each. I built a Civil War style muff from their kit and my NYC stock BMP couldn't touch it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by poppameth
Is there a kit available for the Ram's Head type? I've found them at Stomp Under Foot but they are pricey.

You can find schematics, layouts and parts fairly readily available. I don't know any kits of the top of my head, but GGG was suggested above. I built their Rat kit, and they give you absolutely everything you need for it, save tools.
Actually, I think the BMP with wicker is probably one of the better sounding BMP's they have released in a while. Apart from spending a lot on an older/vintage one, I would get the wicker one. It really depends on what you want though. Each has their own little flavor.
there is also the build your own clone (BYOC) large beaver which is a muff. from memory they give you the components to build either a triangle or rams head. it also has a rotary switch to change between a variety of different mid voicings which will be very useful if you play in a band.

the blackout musket is pretty clearly a sovtek muff so might not be what you are looking for. listen to clips though.
Either place has good kits but BYOC has a support forum to that may sway you towards them.

Kits would be good if you know how to solder. If you don't know what you are doing and something goes wrong, it could be a nightmare.
I lurve my Rusky Pi. Super thick and rich, like chocolate pudding.

I believe it's design is also very similar, if not, identical to the current bass muff.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Also check out the op-amp version of the BMP. A lot of people don't like them (I think because it's not the traditional transistor-based BMP) but a friend had me build him one and I fell in love with it. It's what I use.
Quote by joe_k
there is also the build your own clone (BYOC) large beaver which is a muff. from memory they give you the components to build either a triangle or rams head. it also has a rotary switch to change between a variety of different mid voicings which will be very useful if you play in a band.

the blackout musket is pretty clearly a sovtek muff so might not be what you are looking for. listen to clips though.

Big plus 1 on this. Many original 70's early 80's triangle and rams head muffs can easily run into the hundreds if not approach $1000 in value. Someone recently posted a Craigslist add in my area for an old beat up 73 rams head for $800 doubt he'll get it seeing as it's so beat up but whatever. So why not get a clone that sounds like the real thing for less than $100. If you can't solder you can always find an electronics geek to put it together for you. I myself have a 2005 muff and I modded it with a variable mid boost circuit. Wish I had the spare cash right now for a BYOC muff clone.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Jan 12, 2012,