So, this is what I sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEHdLi1idw&feature=g-upl&context=G22ba4a7AUAAAAAAAAAA

Yes I know i pretty much suck.

Are their any voice teachers out there that can identify where my voice is lacking and what I can do to make it sound better, any particular vocal exercises for example? Or maybe theirs a site i can check out? What I want to know is exactly what about my voice or the way I sing or whatever is keeping me from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YmJ6z4KMZiQ#t=195s
You're not quite as bad as you think. First thing about singing is you need CONFIDENCE. If you try to sing and think "Oh, I suck" you'll never get it right. I had the same kind of problem some time ago. As for vocal excercises, there's tons of them. I'd just google it, many websites have tutorials out there.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I don't hear anything wrong with your singing..... well maybe a couple off notes, but nothing I'd say is terrible.
Quote by ThrashMetal014
You're not quite as bad as you think. First thing about singing is you need CONFIDENCE.

This.

Most people don't like their own voice because you're so used to hearing it from within.
You'd be surprised how few good singers out there actually like how they sound.

Just keep practicing. The more you do it the more you will improve.

Also, having some kind of warmup is always good, it will help your performance.

Google will take you to some good exercises and warmups.

You don't sound bad at all man, stick with it!

You're not as bad as you say you are, just find a range you can sing well in, I find I can sing pop songs better than others (the ones with the four chord structure)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
all of the songs in this song I find I can sing ok anything else is just a big no no however if you make it obvious you're not trying to sing well and instead make it funny it's just as good :p
just need to learn to project louder, although don't confuse singing higher with singing louder. when it comes down to it singing is something you have to learn on your own by ear or the help of someone else hearing you because theres no way for you or a teacher to see your voicebox in your throat moving 'correctly' or incorrectly.

just practice singing in general and just hum beforehand to warm up your vox. for learning high notes just figure it out in your car the goal is to just connect your falsetto/headvoice (same thing) with your belt/yelling/speaking voice. thats kinda how i figured out how to do it.

with singing having some balls to just 'go for it' are required, alot of people hold back including myself because of others hearing or neighbours hearing that shit. doing so will just prevent you from getting better
Quote by Rule Britannia
You're not as bad as you say you are, just find a range you can sing well in, I find I can sing pop songs better than others (the ones with the four chord structure)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
all of the songs in this song I find I can sing ok anything else is just a big no no however if you make it obvious you're not trying to sing well and instead make it funny it's just as good :p

I agree to finding a range you are comfortable in.

However, the reason you are comfortable singing all of these songs is because the medley in the video you posted is all in the same key. It has nothing to do with the style of music. Your voice happens to fit the key AoA chose to perform in.

If a song happens to be outside of your range, transpose it (change the key) to something that fits your range better.
Couple of points:

First, I agree with everyone about confidence. The biggest problem with your voice is that you're holding it in. Open your mouth wider when you sing. Practice singing to someone who's sitting fifteen feet away from you (even if they're just in your head) - you really need to project.

You also need to work on your ear. You're not horribly off pitch, but you definitely miss a few times. More ear training work will help you be more accurate here. Singing scales will help.

Lastly, you need to learn how to sing higher in pitch while still using your chest voice - you retreat into your head voice when you're singing higher notes, which makes it sound thinner.
Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I wasnt expecting any responses so quickly! I know that some of my notes are off and thats one thing that bugs me: to myself I sound like im matching the right note but when i hear it played back its just a little more off than i would have thought.

Also, how do you extend the range of your chest voice? (ill look it up anyways but if you know that always helps)
Check out these warmup videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CWsFaVnWM
there's four parts have a look at all of them. Try doing these exercises daily at least. .

Maybe learn the vocal melody on the guitar and practice singing along with just the melody being played on guitar (not the full accompaniment and try singing it without the words as well - maybe with a liproll or something) it might help with focusing in on hitting the notes.

Mind you I'm not a singer myself. These are just things I've heard singers sometimes do.
Si
I didnt think it was that bad at all. I wouldnt say confidence, I'd say practice, just keep doing what you're doing, and I'd also sing a lot of Karaoke...seriously. I spent about 2 months on an online Karaoke site and sang like hundreds of songs and I just kept finding that my voice was becoming and feeling stronger.

I've been a wannabe singer-songwriter for about 3 years or so, and the best advice I can give you, is keep singing, that's what happened with me.

Best,

Sean
Quote by SwitchFender
Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I wasnt expecting any responses so quickly! I know that some of my notes are off and thats one thing that bugs me: to myself I sound like im matching the right note but when i hear it played back its just a little more off than i would have thought.

In addition to ear training, singing confidently helps this. When you sing tenatively and don't project, most people tend to get a little bit pitchy.

Practice! Sing scales, checking yourself on your instrument. Sing intervals, checking yourself on your instrument. And project. Sometimes you can hear yourself better when you practice if you face a corner or cup your hands behind your ears.

Also, how do you extend the range of your chest voice? (ill look it up anyways but if you know that always helps)

Well, start by simply being aware of it, conscious of where you're singing from, and see how that helps. Beyond that, I can't really help.
Quote by Rule Britannia
This is because the melody is more than likely resolving on the notes of a simple triad, rather than a more heavily modified chord.

That said, it's more likely for a singer to go off pitch on a note NOT in the chord being played, than one that is.

The second obstacle is tending to flat notes at the top of a singers range, by not correctly involving the diaphragm, and pushing air into the "mask". This does require quite a bit of conviction, and has been discussed.

Anyway, a singer should establish a realistic idea about his/her vocal range.

Try to get a hold of sheet music for songs you'd like to sing, and practice with it.

Realize what the vocal range of the singer is, in a song you are trying to emulate.

For example, Mary-Chapin Carpenter is an Alto, with a comfort zone approaching tenor. Allison Krauss is the most annoying lyric soprano on the planet.

For me to sing a Mary-Chapin song, I'd have to drop it a key perhaps a 3rd lower.

For an Allison Krauss song, The key wouldn't change, I'd sing it down a whole octave.

Sorry for the country references, I know it's not everybody's cup of tea.
I don't think it's that bad.
Pretty much what everyone else has said.
CONFIDENCE!! It's helped me so much in learning how to sing. Don't hold back when you sing.
Also practice, lots of it. The more you sing the more comfortable you'll become and you'll be able to easily learn how to control your voice.
As far as extending your range, I would say practice and warm ups. Someone already mentioned it, but sing scales. Just simple ah-ah-ah stuff. Use a piano of a guitar and do ascending and descending scales. You'll quickly find your range and if you practice the scales, you will probably be able to extend your range a few notes either way. That's how it worked for me.