Ok so for a while I wanted the 6505+ head but I decided that the BlackStar Ht stage Ht100 100w head is more suited for what I want. Now my question/questions are.

1. What's important when looking for a cab

2. What makes cabs of the same size sound different from the other

3. How do I know what size I should go for

These are a few questions off the top of my head I could really use help on this subject. If you need more information let me know an I'll try my best to give it.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
1. Cab construction, type of wood, what kinds of joints, what kind of corner protectors, speakers obviously are important, baffles and beams.

2. Mostly the things mentioned in #1

3. Depends on what you are doing and your budget. If it is just for home use a 1x12 (1 12 inch speaker) may be all you need. If you are gigging a lot in a full band you may need a 4x12 for projection. Sometimes a 2x12 is a perfect balance.

Ask yourself, what kind of music do you play mostly? where do you play it? what is your budget?

you can literally rack your brain trying to figure out what speakers you want but it is generally safe to say that some speakers work better for metal like some work better for blues. some work better with high watts and some work better with low watts. some work better with british sounding amps and some work better with american sounding amps.

also - cheap cabs should be avoided

there....how's that?
Ok well.

1. I mostly play metalcore ( AILD, PWD, TDWP, Asking Alexandria, OM&M ), Deathcore ( Suicide Silence ), Amon Amarth. But I also like so Satriani from time to time.

2. Home and gig and yes with 1 drummer and 1 other guitar player.

3. Budget - $500 to $700

Let me know if you need more information.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
I'm digging that avatar G412 black tolex with wheat grill . Not bad for the price, could you elaborate on the speakers in it as I'm not really a know it all with guitar speakers.

Edit: how do I know what ohm load I should get or does that have to do with the head I'm getting.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by Austin174 at Jan 11, 2012,
Avatar will build to your specs dude. Haha you can have it however you like. Do you want me to recommend you a speaker or do you just want to know what speakers are in that cab? Because you have options.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by Austin174
I'm digging that avatar G412 black tolex with wheat grill . Not bad for the price, could you elaborate on the speakers in it as I'm not really a know it all with guitar speakers.

Edit: how do I know what ohm load I should get or does that have to do with the head I'm getting.

It has to do with what your amp can do. You must match the ohms on the cab with your amp. i.e. if your amp has an 8 ohm output, then your cab should be 8 ohms.

Most amps made these days have options (i.e. multiple outputs or switchable impedance) which makes it much easier to match the amp up with the cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Avatar will build to your specs dude. Haha you can have it however you like. Do you want me to recommend you a speaker or do you just want to know what speakers are in that cab? Because you have options.

Well I looked up my head an didn't sayon zzsounds.com what the speaker ohm load is that it puts out, but I'll just let you go ahead an recommend me something lol.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
I'm quite positive that 6505s are 16 ohms.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Oh well I was going to get that head but I decided on the Blackstar Ht stage 100w head. Sorry if my OP was misleading.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
The same goes for the Black Star. If your budget is 600-700 why not just get the matching cab?
Quote by barden1069
Not sure why. I think I was/am hoping to get something better for the money, I have also heard good things about the celestion speakers.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
You should be fine with that Cab, or a Marshall, a Mesa or an Orange.
Quote by barden1069
Alright thanks man. On a side note those avatar still look good .
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Well I'm not sure how long they take since it's a custom order. But do whatever you want man!
Quote by barden1069
Well I'm gonna take your advice an get a matching cab with the head, and if I don't like it I'll sell it an get a custom.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Austin174
Ok well.

1. I mostly play metalcore ( AILD, PWD, TDWP, Asking Alexandria, OM&M ), Deathcore ( Suicide Silence ), Amon Amarth. But I also like so Satriani from time to time.

2. Home and gig and yes with 1 drummer and 1 other guitar player.

3. Budget - $500 to $700

Let me know if you need more information.

OK, so mostly modern metal and cleans? With that budget you can get a nice cab new or used. If you want to look at used cabs you can probably find something killer. There was a Diezel 4x12 floating around on craigslist in Texas that was like $475 or something.

As far as brands, Avatar is a good option if you want a new cab (as would Whitebox). I got my custom Avatar Traditional Premier 2x12 for $425 I think and it took about 2 weeks. Call Dave at Avatar and tell him what you are looking for. He owns the joint and answers the phone a lot. Used, you can look at Marshall, Mesa, Splawn, Diezel, Framus, Orange, Engl, Mills, etc.

For gigging, a 4x12 would slay. 2x12s work too but get a closed back for metal. Look at high wattage speakers starting with Celestion Vintage 30s (60 watts). Avatar sells Celestion and Eminence as well as their rebranded Celestions call Hellatones. People do things like mix Vintage 30s with G12K100s in a 'X' pattern.

Quote by Austin174
Well I looked up my head an didn't sayon zzsounds.com what the speaker ohm load is that it puts out, but I'll just let you go ahead an recommend me something lol.

Sometimes you have to get the user manual on-line
4. Speaker Outputs
The output marked ‘1x16 Ohm’ is for the connection of a single 16 Ohm extension
speaker cabinet (or the internal loudspeakers of the HT stage 60 combo).
The outputs marked ‘1x8 Ohm or 2x16 Ohm’ are for the connection of either a single
8 Ohm extension cabinet or two 16 Ohm cabinets. Also, the internal loudspeaker of
the HT Stage 60 combo can be plugged in here if it is used with a 16 Ohm extension
cabinet.
The outputs marked ‘1x4 Ohm or 2x8 Ohm’ are for the connection of either a single
4 Ohm extension cabinet or two 8 Ohm cabinets. See table below.
‘1x16 Ohm’ ‘1x8 Ohm or 2x16 ‘1x4 Ohm or 2x8
http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/pdf/handbooks/ht-stage-60_100%20handbook.pdf

Quote by RealGuitarHero
I'm quite positive that 6505s are 16 ohms.

Nope. They all take 4, 8 or 16 ohms. Most high gain amps do. Hell, most amps period. And he's looking at a Blackstar.

Quote by Austin174
Not sure why. I think I was/am hoping to get something better for the money, I have also heard good things about the celestion speakers.

see above
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 11, 2012,
Thanks man good information to, but I still don't get the speaker output. Like if it says it's a 16 ohm output does that mean I could.

A. Use one 16 ohm speaker

Or

B. Use two 8 ohm speakers

I'm not good with cab speakers when it comes to this. I only know like car speakers lol.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
yeah the speakers add up like this

IF, the amp is set to 16 ohms then,

1 - 16 ohm speaker = 16

2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in series = 16

4 - 16 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel. = 16

4 - 4 ohms speakers wired in series = 16

Series wiring you add them up.

Parallel wiring, FYI, is where you divide down.

2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel is 4 ohms total
2 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel is 8 ohms total.

most 4x12 cabs are wired in series/parallel so it is a combination. That is why using 4 - (same ohm) speakers gets the result of just one.

4 - 16 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel = 16 overall total ohms

also - are you totally sure the Blackstar Stage HT100 is the right amp for you? Are you only looking at new amps?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 11, 2012,
Alright thank you I just wanted to make sure on the speaker output. Also yes I am for sure that it is what I want, but if you went make some suggestions then by all means go ahead.

As for buying new yes I'm going to buy it through www.zzsounds.com as I am approved for there 4 month payment plan, so if you do suggest something else try an make it from there site please.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
For metalcore I think you'd be happier with something like a Peavey XXX. There is one on the Des Moines craiglist for $500. You could probably talk down to $400-$450. How far away is that from you?

There is also a couple of Marshall DSLs, a JVM, a JSX, a CarvinMTS, Peavey Vypyr 120, etc that might work better I don't know. I was not too impressed with the gut shots of the HT series but never played the amp you are talking about.
Des Moine is about 1hr and 30min away I believe. I'll Look up those other amps that your Reccomened( spelling) an see if one of them stands out.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112