I've recorded this song and I'd just like some input. I want to focus on the guitars first.
soundcloud link: http://soundcloud.com/nathandenson/rowdyruff-boys-song-1-demo

ps. excuse the sloppy lead parts, I plan to redo them

So anyway I'm using cubase and podfarm 2
I tracked it about 4 times most of the way through (and added and took away at certain parts) and then sent the guitars to a group.
My individual guitar insert chain:
1. Podfarm2
2. c4
3. REQ 6
4. Q10

My guitar group insert chain:
1. REQ 6
2. Pod Farm Dynamics (Compressor)

So here's some shots of my inserts, is there anything I should change to improve my tone/sound as far as eq, compression, pod farm chain, etc?
Individual Trx:

Group Track:

Also I kinda threw the compressor on, I was wondering if I could replace it with my psp vintage warmer to make the guitar more analog sounding.
Last edited by dinley at Jan 11, 2012,
Very nice tone for being an amp sim i must say. But it sounds a bit too harsh and flat. Try using a reverb VST like Wizoo Reverb, it will give the sound a lot more depth.
Digital fizz.

I'd lower the LPF quite a bit and perhaps also lower the gain a tad.

What is your idea with the MBC so early in the signal chain?

It's by no means bad, but it's still quite shrill.

EDIT: You'll probably get a LONG way with some better IR's than the pod ones. Try Catharsis impulses.
Quote by xFilth
Digital fizz.

I'd lower the LPF quite a bit and perhaps also lower the gain a tad.

What is your idea with the MBC so early in the signal chain?

It's by no means bad, but it's still quite shrill.

EDIT: You'll probably get a LONG way with some better IR's than the pod ones. Try Catharsis impulses.

Should I move the multiband after the eqs?

Also, are these the impulses you were referring too?
http://catharsis.supremepixels.com/impulses/
I only ever use MBC's last in my chain.

Yeah, that .zip file contains some very nice ones
Before listening just wanna comment I normally put the MBC before my amp sim and disable all but the low mids (on the too much limiting preset with freqs edited to fit the tone) in true Sneap fashion. Keeps those chugs nice and even. If I put it after the amp sim I find it sounds too "woofy".

While listening:

Guitars sound too brittle, it's the digital fuzz and tbh Podfarm is terrible for it, yes you can get it to sound decent, Sturgis does (arguably). Though still I would fully back moving onto LePou's 456 (Bogner Clone) or LeCto (Tri-Rec Clone) as they seem to cut back on the hiss which lives around 3-4 khz.

Looking at your signal chain I would change your amp set up on PodFarm even if you insist on using it. Try something like

Screamer:
Gain - 75% (or higher)
Drive - 25% (or less)
Tone - Choice

Head (The Tread Plate Works very well, if you don't have the metal pack I'd consider buying it):
Gain - Around 12 Oclock
Eq - Nothing to extreme but too choice
The rest is kinda personal preference, just to get a tone with as little fizz as possible

Cab (Again Tread Plate Cab is awesome):
Room: 0%
Mic: 67 Condenser.

This is based around the sturgis patch, but really you can edit it to taste but the important thing is to find a tone that minimises fizz. Normally I just play around with the head (both model and settings) and mic types till I find a tone that doesn't suck.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 11, 2012,
I actually quite like the tone on the chord parts, granted - I'm only listening through iPod headphones, but at the beginning, the tone fit the song quite nicely, once it goes into the second riff though, it becomes very apparent that there's too much high end fizz. Once you get into the single note parts in the verse, the tone is wayyyyy too fizzy, because there's no chords in the back being played to mask the brittleness of the high end.

I'd probably lower the LPF a bit more and take out that high end boost in REQ6 and see how that works. The tone is going to be darker, but I think it'll work out better.

Other than that, I don't like the snare you've used
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You guys really LPF that low? I've always found it removes the bite from guitar mixes, I normally have a small boost around 12k for such a purpose.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by MatrixClaw
I actually quite like the tone on the chord parts, granted - I'm only listening through iPod headphones, but at the beginning, the tone fit the song quite nicely, once it goes into the second riff though, it becomes very apparent that there's too much high end fizz. Once you get into the single note parts in the verse, the tone is wayyyyy too fizzy, because there's no chords in the back being played to mask the brittleness of the high end.

I'd probably lower the LPF a bit more and take out that high end boost in REQ6 and see how that works. The tone is going to be darker, but I think it'll work out better.

Other than that, I don't like the snare you've used

Yeah I just threw superior drummer in there. That's what I'm gonna work on next after guitars.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Better but i think the guitars are still too harsh sounding (especially when u have your headphones on very loud like me :P). Lower the treble and i think it will sound a lot better.