Page 1 of 2
is getting stronger, according to research. Can't be bothered to find source, just read it in a Lifehacker article. Anywho, scientists are apparently baffled as to why the placebo effect would be getting stronger, but I have a theory.
More people know about the placebo effect than in the past. These people expect the placebo effect to work, since it is a scientific fact and whatnot. This creates a placebo effect ON THE PLACEBO EFFECT.
Placeboception.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
The scientific community is retarded regarding the placebo effect. It has been carrying us through rough times for ages. It doesn't matter if the patient knows about the placebo - it's the quality time and empathy from the caregiver that makes the difference.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by mesopatamius
These people expect the placebo effect to work, since it is a scientific fact and whatnot. This creates a placebo effect ON THE PLACEBO EFFECT.
Placeboception.

Oh dear.

Placebo has rarely ever worked on me. I think my brain is probably too suspicious.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by BurningStarlV
Yo dawg I herd you like the placebo effect

So I put a placebo in your placebo so that you can be deceived while you are deceived.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
You are an idiot. The placebo effect couldn't be a placebo in itself. Take a moment to think about it.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Imma placebo on this Christmas present.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Esperanza Spalding, Vulfpeck, Caravan Palace

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Apparently not...

Ah, you been drinkin haterade, haven't ya.

Quote by Spaztikko
man if i were over there, i'd gallop right over!

Classic case of misclicked thread lol.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by mesopatamius
is getting stronger, according to research. Can't be bothered to find source, just read it in a Lifehacker article. Anywho, scientists are apparently baffled as to why the placebo effect would be getting stronger, but I have a theory.
More people know about the placebo effect than in the past. These people expect the placebo effect to work, since it is a scientific fact and whatnot. This creates a placebo effect ON THE PLACEBO EFFECT.
Placeboception.

oh boy...haha. The people getting the placebo don't know that they're getting a placebo. So your inception thing doesn't apply since it is no different than how any other placebo is given.

Also that never seems to work with me. Whenever I take an advil my headache doesn't go away. and if it does I never really give credit to the advil and just assume it passed on its own. Scumbag wess, takes meds, doesn't give them credit when they work.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Genius, man.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I have a theory as well, the placebo effect is getting stronger because people are getting dumber? I think there is an obvious correlation
Quote by girlgerms007
Genius, man.

Thanks, man. My dissertation will be finished shortly. The title page will be that meme with DiCaprio and the Scarecrow talking about placebos, and then the rest of it is just PLACEBOCEPTION spelled out one big letter per page.

Quote by riseofmusic
I have a theory as well, the placebo effect is getting stronger because people are getting dumber? I think there is an obvious correlation

I did not make this thread to invite other theories, I made this thread to disseminate the obvious and incontrovertible truth of my own theory.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
Last edited by mesopatamius at Jan 11, 2012,
It doesn't really work like that, it's either effective or ineffective and its ****ing annoying. When working in a lab, it gets tedious making sure you cover all your bases when developing a control.
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

i see what you mean TS.
gullible people who hear about the placebo effect believe in it so much that if someone tells them there is acid in the water they will start trippin balls.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
What if you were to give someone a real drug and call it a placebo.

Gdim7!!!
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
TS: That doesn't work. People can't be more aware of the placebo effect and thus have it work better. If they believed they were being given placebos that would make it work worse, surely?

If what you are saying is true (that they appear to work more often nowadays) it could be due to a greater reliance on medications in modern society.
Placebo effect only works because of the hormones/chemicals your body releases when you are relaxed or happy.

It's annoying how homoeopaths are using that process to justify their nonsense.

edit: I read somewhere that the placebo effect does occur in people who are aware of the placebo, but not as strongly as if not told.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
Placebo effect only works because of the hormones/chemicals your body releases when you are relaxed or happy.

What if a homeopathic treatment makes you relaxed or happy?
i dont know whats going on in this thread
placebo cant..
what?
placebo
what??

i cant even formulate a response, im just so confused
I'am addicted to placebo pills. With new year I wanted to stop taking them but it wouldnt matter anyway.
Quote by theguitarist

edit: I read somewhere that the placebo effect does occur in people who are aware of the placebo, but not as strongly as if not told.

Homeopathy is pretty ridiculous, but it works wonders for people. People who are happy and relaxed are generally less susceptible to running into illness. In layman's terms, that's how it works. But obviously the method is based on a spiritual theory. It can work for people, so in a sense, it makes it a legitimate treatment because it can be effective.

But like any treatment, willpower will always benefit recovery. Just taking nicotine gum alone to stop smoking with no willpower for example, will not work.

I think denying that any treatment won't work, placebo or not, is silly. If people don't want to get better, why treat them? Believing that a treatment will work, placebo or not, will always benefit it. It might not boost a physical recovery, but it boosts morale. And that is always helpful.

I would much rather believe that something will work, than not work.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by Crazyedd123
What if you were to give someone a real drug and call it a placebo.

Gdim7!!!

What?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I would much rather believe that something will work, than not work.

Depends though, if someone has cancer and decided to go for a homeopathic treatment rather that chemo because they think that would work, I'd think they were being pretty stupid.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Depends though, if someone has cancer and decided to go for a homeopathic treatment rather that chemo because they think that would work, I'd think they were being pretty stupid.

Of course in the situation of physical illness. I'm not saying that placibo will cure cancer. Homeopathy can be effective psychologically for those who beleive it, but physically, it isn't. Beleiving in Christianity for example, won't make you innume to cancer.

What i was saying in the previous post is that it is an effective psychological treatment for some people. I should've been more clear.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 11, 2012,
There's a pill for everything and people are gullible.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by mesopatamius
These people expect the placebo effect to work, since it is a scientific fact and whatnot. This creates a placebo effect ON THE PLACEBO EFFECT.

Sometimes just the act of putting the kettle on and getting the coffee tin out of the pantry is enough for me to get a hit. That's like an advanced placebo.
Quote by Wesseem
oh boy...haha. The people getting the placebo don't know that they're getting a placebo. So your inception thing doesn't apply since it is no different than how any other placebo is given.

Based on my experience, this is wrong.

I have had psychological treatment that requires a placibo effect. I was perfectly aware that it was a placibo and that it required my own personal efforts for it to work.

But the fact that empirical evidance had shown for it to work with willpower is what made me beleive it will work in the first place. You know why it can work? Because i want it to work. Wanting to change mental attitude makes changing your mental attitude far, far easier to achieve. That might sound obvious, but people have a hard time getting rid of their old-fashioned beleifs and values. I wanted to change my mental attitude because my current attitide made me miserable.

It doesn't directly allow physical changes to occur, but it makes you see problems in a different, more rational way. So your goals become a lot more achievable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by mesopatamius
Placeboception.

I think placebo comes from NOT knowing you're taking placebo, but real medicine. If you know that the doctor injected you water, it's not placebo. It's water.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
So people's knowledge of the placebo effect is amplifying it because that's what they expect?

Quote by entity0009
Oh dear.

Placebo has rarely ever worked on me. I think my brain is probably too suspicious.

Too much doom negates the hope of a placebo working.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Based on my experience, this is wrong.

I have had psychological treatment that requires a placibo effect. I was perfectly aware that it was a placibo and that it required my own personal efforts for it to work.

But the fact that empirical evidance had shown for it to work with willpower is what made me beleive it will work in the first place. You know why it can work? Because i want it to work. Wanting to change mental attitude makes changing your mental attitude far, far easier to achieve. That might sound obvious, but people have a hard time getting rid of their old-fashioned beleifs and values. I wanted to change my mental attitude because my current attitide made me miserable.

It doesn't directly allow physical changes to occur, but it makes you see problems in a different, more rational way. So your goals become a lot more achievable.

Is me making myself like coffee a placebo effect? >.> Since i used to hate it but wanted to like it so i started drinking it and in about 2 days i liked it.
Well research has shown that people the placebo effects works on people who know they are only getting a placebo effect from stuff.
Page 1 of 2