So I've went around and played a bunch of telecasters, and now I know what I like. I played a Squier Classic Vibe, and it was super tight, but felt a smidge cheap. I played a MIM Fender Standard Telecaster And it was alright, i loved the neck on it, but i found that the bridge pick up left ALOT to be desired. I'm looking at the ESP LTD Te-202 series because I like the worn look, and I love my EC-1000, and the Alexi-200 I used to have, so I trust ESP whole hearted. Plus the neck pickup being a humbucker and the bridge being a single coil is even better imo. I'm a fan of the sunburst style paint. I digress.
My question is, has anyone played the TE-202? There's not any in my town for me to play.
Also, any other recommendations?
No Jay Tursers, rondomusic, ect. I'm not a brand *****, but I would like a more trustworthy brand than those.

Style of music: "indie rock", think of Two Door Cinema Club, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, Circa Survive.
Budget is: $400 use
Preferable new, used is a possibility though.
In Louisville, KY.
Current Gear: EC-1000, Peavey Classic 30, Delta Labs Tube OverDrive, LovePedal Gen5 Echo, Behringer DD600 Delay.
I know it doesn't really seem like I NEED a new guitar, but I'm getting money back soon, and a guitar is ALOT better investment than gentlemen clubs and such.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
I really love the Fender FMT Tele. It's not your traditional Tele, but it played and sounded amazing! I think they are a little bit out of your price range (about $600 give or take) but they are really worth saving up for. If you see one in your local store I think you should try it out.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I really love the Fender FMT Tele. It's not your traditional Tele, but it played and sounded amazing! I think they are a little bit out of your price range (about $600 give or take) but they are really worth saving up for. If you see one in your local store I think you should try it out.

I played one and actually came super close to buying one when I did, but I've changed my style, and I definitely want a single coil in the bridge. I almost bought a Highway One 60th Anniversary Strat with all single coils because I feel in love with one.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
swap out the bridge pick up on an mim tele for something hotter and you'll love the way it sounds with your amp. those peavey's are so underrated.
my shitty rig:
fender mim tele -> eqd hoof fuzz -> fender blues jr.
They are indeed great amps. And they're plenty loud for almost any venue around here.

And the vibe just had a lot cheaper feeling neck to it.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
The LTD isn't going to feel any higher quality than the Squier, to be blunt. But it will have a neck you're used to - having tried one (and a couple of the Strat style ones) I can say their neck profiles feel the same as every other LTD I've tried, other than the super-thin M-series - so that's a point in its favour. The pickups blow hard, though.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Squier Classic Vibes. The necks can be scuffed or even sanded down entirely for a different feel and most importantly the bodies are made very nicely, which is really important in a Tele. But if the MIM seemed nicer to you off the shelf, I'd go for that. The pickups can be changed at a later date; no matter what sound you want there's every kind of pickup made for Teles and Tele users tend to change pickups a lot so you'll often find bargain-priced second hand pickups on eBay (and unlike many guitar elements, it's not like pickups are going to suffer from having been used for a year or two; it takes decades for the magnets to weaken). If you want to pick something up right off the shelf that plays and sounds great then try the Fender MIM Classic, Classic Payer or Deluxe ranges. In fact if you like the distressed look then try the Fender MIM Road Worn and Road Worn Player ranges. They have thin nitro finishes, seem to be made a little nicer than the other MIMs (or at leats they may have tighter quality control), and their electronics are slightly better than the regular MIMs on some models. All of those ranges do of course cost more than the plain MIM Standard Tele, but weigh up one of those vs a Standard + replacing a pickup. Usually it works out better to just buy the improved model to begin with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The LTD isn't going to feel any higher quality than the Squier, to be blunt. But it will have a neck you're used to - having tried one (and a couple of the Strat style ones) I can say their neck profiles feel the same as every other LTD I've tried, other than the super-thin M-series - so that's a point in its favour. The pickups blow hard, though.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Squier Classic Vibes. The necks can be scuffed or even sanded down entirely for a different feel and most importantly the bodies are made very nicely, which is really important in a Tele. But if the MIM seemed nicer to you off the shelf, I'd go for that. The pickups can be changed at a later date; no matter what sound you want there's every kind of pickup made for Teles and Tele users tend to change pickups a lot so you'll often find bargain-priced second hand pickups on eBay (and unlike many guitar elements, it's not like pickups are going to suffer from having been used for a year or two; it takes decades for the magnets to weaken). If you want to pick something up right off the shelf that plays and sounds great then try the Fender MIM Classic, Classic Payer or Deluxe ranges. In fact if you like the distressed look then try the Fender MIM Road Worn and Road Worn Player ranges. They have thin nitro finishes, seem to be made a little nicer than the other MIMs (or at leats they may have tighter quality control), and their electronics are slightly better than the regular MIMs on some models. All of those ranges do of course cost more than the plain MIM Standard Tele, but weigh up one of those vs a Standard + replacing a pickup. Usually it works out better to just buy the improved model to begin with.

Do you have an opinion on this Tele:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-telecaster-electric-guitar-ash/517885000832063

I've been eyeing this one for a while now because I love the look and the fact that it's less expensive than a standard MIM. Is it just a plain old MIM made special for MF? Or is it different (better/worse) than a regular MIM Tele?
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by Spud Spudly

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-telecaster-electric-guitar-ash/517885000832063

I've been eyeing this one for a while now because I love the look and the fact that it's less expensive than a standard MIM. Is it just a plain old MIM made special for MF? Or is it different (better/worse) than a regular MIM Tele?

All that's different:

Ash Body (a plus in my book)
More Vintage styled pups (Not the HOT TELE ones in the standards)
Quote by Duv

Oh, and for resonance . . . smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Uncle Sams Jamms deals Vintage. The brand is just taking off in the U.S. but they've been popular in Europe for a while now. They have all wilkinson hardware. I ended up buying my V62 over a fender american standard. Worth a look imo.

EDIT: They are on Durrett Lane if you're unfamiliar with them. unclesamsjamms.com
Last edited by a_hub10 at Jan 11, 2012,
Have a look into the JA-90. I have one and it's a beautiful guitar. The pickups are P-90s though. But it is definitely one of the best guitars under £1000 I've ever played.
Quote by agubics12
All that's different:

Ash Body (a plus in my book)
More Vintage styled pups (Not the HOT TELE ones in the standards)

I like the ash body too over alder or pine, but I don't think I'll ever get to sit down and compare the pups on this to a standard MIM and a CV50.
Quote by Spud Spudly

That's the exact type of Tele I have that I'll be modding. It's amazing. I'm just changing the bridge pickup to a Tele hot rails, 500K pots, coil split the hot rails, blower switch, and 4-way switch... So it'll be a tad different lol.
Quote by Spud Spudly

I've been eyeing this one too. I saw it deeply discounted at a local shop a few weeks ago and I was digging the specs on it. I may end up with one. I'm waiting on my financial aide to come in, and I might pull the trigger and buy it.

And I checked out the Vintage guitars at Sams. I've done ALOT of business with them over the past few years. I just wasn't quite digging the Vintage tele's though
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
What kind of deep discount and what shop? I was under the impression that these were special runs just for GC/MF, though I've been wrong before.