OK,

So everyone knows that 2 guitars playing through 1 good tube amp will sound crappy, because of distortion, right? I.e. it will distort both guitars the same, masking them when they're in unison, and having other undesirable side effects when they should be complimenting each other?

So would the same people say that it sounds crappy when 1 guitar loops a rhythm and then plays a solo over it through the same amp?

If not, then what's the difference?

Hoping some of the great amp experts here can shed some new light here or if my search missed a thread with a good discussion on it, then they can point me to that thread and contribute to any follow-on discussion that might generate...
In terms of looping, this will not happen because you are meant to put a looper in the effects loop and therefore bypass the preamp/preamp distortion. Unfortunately, in most solid states, there isn't an effects loop so it will get distorted
Quote by itamar100
In terms of looping, this will not happen because you are meant to put a looper in the effects loop and therefore bypass the preamp/preamp distortion. Unfortunately, in most solid states, there isn't an effects loop so it will get distorted

Well, solid states aren't a factor here because I'm trying to figure out some stuff for my Marshall tube (JVM 410h).

So are you saying that if I plug my looper (which is also my fuzz/whammy/reverb pedal--GNX4) into my effects loop then it will sound OK, but it will sound like crap if I plug in my pedal between the guitar and the amp's instrument input (like I normally do)?

Does this mean I could plug a second guitar (possibly through another MFX pedal) into the effects return (with nothing plugged into the effects send) and then both guitars would sound OK?

I haven't played around with my amp's FX loop because that's just too many damn cables to mess with between shows. So I didn't realize the effects loop would bypass the pre-amp. Hmmmm. Maybe it's still got pre-amp, but it's just independent from the guitar input? Because I hear the effects loop on that amp has it's own tube. And I'm pretty sure it works coming out the XLR line out even when the power amp section is shut down (for silent recording, direct connections to PAs without using a guitar cab, etc.).

Can anyone shed light on these points?
Quote by jetwash69
Well, solid states aren't a factor here because I'm trying to figure out some stuff for my Marshall tube (JVM 410h).

So are you saying that if I plug my looper (which is also my fuzz/whammy/reverb pedal--GNX4) into my effects loop then it will sound OK, but it will sound like crap if I plug in my pedal between the guitar and the amp's instrument input (like I normally do)?

Does this mean I could plug a second guitar (possibly through another MFX pedal) into the effects return (with nothing plugged into the effects send) and then both guitars would sound OK?

I haven't played around with my amp's FX loop because that's just too many damn cables to mess with between shows. So I didn't realize the effects loop would bypass the pre-amp. Hmmmm. Maybe it's still got pre-amp, but it's just independent from the guitar input? Because I hear the effects loop on that amp has it's own tube. And I'm pretty sure it works coming out the XLR line out even when the power amp section is shut down (for silent recording, direct connections to PAs without using a guitar cab, etc.).

Can anyone shed light on these points?

Probably not because the effects loop is between the Pre amp and the power amp. Maybe if the MFX could also work as a Preamp? But this seems awfully tedious
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Probably not because the effects loop is between the Pre amp and the power amp. Maybe if the MFX could also work as a Preamp? But this seems awfully tedious

Sorry, too many questions in 1 post, I guess. Probably not what?

BTW, if the volume's high enough, I'm sure the MFX would work as a pre-amp. I can plug either of them straight into a powered monitor and get good volume. Also, not that it makes a big difference, but the other MFX is an RP-355.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jan 11, 2012,
It'll probably not work because you will be only getting the sound of your power amp, and if the Multi effects is working as the preamp you'll be getting that sound instead. So why not just hook the multi effects into a PA?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
So it wouldn't hurt an amp to get a signal through the effects return with the send not connected to anything?

I'm thinking about having the drummer come out and take a solo on the guitar over a rhythm I'm doing (or vice versa) and don't want to deal with a second amp just for 10 seconds of pay-off. Or take up in input on the house PA (we mainly play tiny venues without many channels). Plus the Marshall is my only tube amp and I like how it warms up digital MFX pedals.
I'm honestly confused now on what you're trying to do. Why not just get a looper and let him play your guitar?
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
It'll probably not work because you will be only getting the sound of your power amp, and if the Multi effects is working as the preamp you'll be getting that sound instead. So why not just hook the multi effects into a PA?

Cathbard and others have said the 410h effects loop has it's own tube, and I would think the only reason for that would be a pre-amp. But then again it has 2 FX loops and I'm not experienced or smart about either of them. I found the manual pretty cryptic and haven't played around with it much yet.

I want to get smart enough so that I don't break it before playing around with that stuff. I doubt I could find a replacement as cheap as I bought the thing used for.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I'm honestly confused now on what you're trying to do. Why not just get a looper and let him play your guitar?

We might want to do something like the duel here at 4:37:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAbgUbxoqM&feature=related

We have digital drums, so it's easier to use a drum loop than a guitar loop. Also want to make the show a little more interesting. It's just the 2 of us and the drummer sings. The crowd always digs it when we can get her up in front of the drums.