Page 1 of 6
I've been getting back into Dream Theater again recently and getting over the loss of Portnoy, and I have to say their new album is brilliant. It contains many good tracks, but my favorite without a doubt is Lost Not Forgotten.

It may be the Sistine Chapel of music.

That is purely my opinion though. It made me curious however, if there are any songs that came out within the last couple of years that had this kind of impact on you.

I would love if you would be so kind as to share what song by what artist, and if you can, what about it do you find so good?
Loveless. It is not only the highest achievement of music, but the pinnacle of human expression.

Oh, recently, uh... My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is hella good. It's pretty much the peak of pop music.
The Foggy Mountain Boys
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by due 07
Loveless. It is not only the highest achievement of music, but the pinnacle of human expression.

Oh, recently, uh... My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is hella good. It's pretty much the peak of pop music.

This is all of my answer too.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Inside of Emptiness and The Empyrean by John Frusciante. Awesome albums and they reach straight into my soul. His such a talented musician it's unbelievable. Also every thing by Johann Sebastien Bach, as flea correctly says, is the pinnacle of music and all off mankind.
Possibly Estranged by Guns N' Roses.

Just listen to it if you are one of the four people out there who hasn't yet.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
You cannot beat this. It's timeless, ageless, and echoes where sound can travel.

Judas Priest
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
My tastes change rather frequently, but The Reign of Kindo's "Rhythm, Chord, & Melody" is my album-of-the-moment. Dat jazzy rock.

Oh, and if we're talking about post-rock specifically, sleepmakeswaves is the best.
The Humbling River by Puscifer. I wouldn't say it was the pinnacle of all music, but it had an impact on me that I can't forget.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by itamar100
Inside of Emptiness and The Empyrean by John Frusciante. Awesome albums and they reach straight into my soul. His such a talented musician it's unbelievable. Also every thing by Johann Sebastien Bach, as flea correctly says, is the pinnacle of music and all off mankind.

I have to agree with everything in this post. When I first heard Inside of Emptiness I immediately picked up my acoustic and had the entire album figured out back-to-front by the end of the day, and The Empyrean is a brilliant album also.

As for Bach, his Brandenburg Concertos are for me some of the best work of the Baroque period, and possibly all of the common-practice period.
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
Quote by StewieSwan
Frozen Eternity

Good job. Real good job man. Now we'll never get visited by extraterrestrials 'cause they'll see this post and think we're a joke.
Wait, what's the question, exactly?
'Cuz I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of music or anything, that'd be pretty crass of me, but Wild Flag's debut is the most recent album that I got really excited about & fell in luv with.

The pinnacle of music is probably a bit higher on art scale than anything within the grand genre of popular music. But My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is probably the pinnacle of the grand genre of popular music.
Quote by riseofmusic
I've been getting back into Dream Theater again recently and getting over the loss of Portnoy, and I have to say their new album is brilliant. It contains many good tracks, but my favorite without a doubt is Lost Not Forgotten.

It may be the Sistine Chapel of music.

That is purely my opinion though. It made me curious however, if there are any songs that came out within the last couple of years that had this kind of impact on you.

I would love if you would be so kind as to share what song by what artist, and if you can, what about it do you find so good?
but this song is better than all that stuff.

Zach's post is great, too.
Its funny how different everyone's opinions are. You'd think one species would like some of the same stuff, but nah. Most of the stuff already posted I wouldn't even consider decent. And I'm sure many people won't like my choices.

Heres what I think:

Pixies- Doolittle

Alice in Chains- Dirt, Facelift

Queens of the Stone Age- Self Titled, Songs for the Deaf

The Strokes- Is This It
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
with fear i kiss the burning darkness so brutal yet emotive, real yet fantastical; a perfect piece of raw human art
Quote by AtTheGates\m/
with fear i kiss the burning darkness so brutal yet emotive, real yet fantastical; a perfect piece of raw human art

No...that's just whiny.
Quote by due 07

You're obsessed with that album

I can see why though...
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Quote by IommiPage
Fugazi. Or that^

EDIT: ^^. And recently, La Dispute.

As much as I like them, there are far better bands than La Dispute lol.
Quote by jetfuel495
but this song is better than all that stuff.

Zach's post is great, too.

That's my fav song form American Slang. :3

Quote by IommiPage
Fugazi. Or that^

EDIT: ^^. And recently, La Dispute.

I've never been too big on LD, but Wildlife had some really great tracks.

Quote by Talk Box
You're obsessed with that album

I can see why though...

I honestly love it more and more with every metaphorical spin, and it's in my top five or so most listened-to albums ever. \m/ \m/

Quote by lushacrous
This is all of my answer too.

awww yea

Quote by StewieSwan
The Frozen FAGS

FTFY hahahaha

Quote by blake1221
As much as I like them, there are far better bands than La Dispute lol.

Like The Touché Amorés! (Is that still a thing?)
Quote by due 07

Like The Touché Amorés! (Is that still a thing?)

It will always be a thing.

The Hump:

Vanquisher
Make Poo and Send
Peanut Butter Tool Time
The Touché Amorés

La Dispute still needs a makeover.

Quote by jetfuel495
It's always a thing.

Marquee Moon because someone had to say it
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
That's a really hard question. I'm tempted to say Between the Buried and Me merely because of the myriad styles and influences. But really, it's hard for me to say. Badmotorfinger, Dirt, Ten, Vs., Riot Act, Nevermind, In Utero, Siamese Dream... To me grunge is the pinnacle of ROCK music. I feel like it's everything and more. Then again, I love me some pop punk, prog metal... I can pick within a genre to an extent, but it's so hard for me to supersede one genre over another. Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put a Spell On You"? I'm a rocker by heart but Sing, Sing, Sing is a beautiful piece of music. I guess I really don't know.
GEAR:

Schecter V-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Special Model LP
Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
Quote by alastors_blade
To me grunge is the pinnacle of ROCK music.

Bro, The Stooges were the pinnacle of rock music. It was over before it began.
I dunno, I'd have to typify and qualify stuff to answer what I think is the question posed by the OP.

The greatest concert/orchestra piece written for the guitar is, IMHO, Concierto de Aranjuez. I think many would agree.

I think the best use of a classical guitar, in both interpretation, style, and tone, for something other than a "typical piece" is Yi Dance by Xuefei Yang.

I think the best modern rock band is Thrice, and more specifically the best thing modern rock has produced is their Alchemy Index.

I think that BT's This Binary Universe is the modern version of the greatest orchestral creations of the past geniuses. There is no better electronic album, period.

Etc
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by neidnarb11890
Bro, The Stooges were the pinnacle of rock music. It was over before it began.

Truer words...

Edit: @Zoot the Doors were godly but they just don't embody rock music as what it truly is in it's simplest form. Physcadelic maybe
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Last edited by Talk Box at Jan 11, 2012,
The first time I heard "Soothsayer" by Buckethead, I was left speechless. Blew my shit away.

Fuzz Universe by Paul Gilbert is also quite amazing.

And several Beatles tunes.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by Zoot Allures
Fix'd

Yeah right, maybe if Jim Morrison had half the raw power of Iggy Pop he wouldn't'a got fat & died.