It's an Ibanez ART100 with a Line 6 Spider IV amp. The guitar was $320

Random strings start vibrating when I don't even touch them and it makes a lot of noise. If I pick a note then take my finger off it still makes noise. Then I touch the other strings and 1 or 2 are vibrating a little bit.

Higher strings seem to get overpowered by the lower strings if they're vibrating and it's hard to hear them, but this is only when the distortion is turned up.
not sure about the science behind it, but basically the distortion can cause the guitar to resonate and the semihollow design accentuates that. cover the hole up or toss a rag inside the cavity, should take care of it
Quote by SharkSandwich
not sure about the science behind it, but basically the distortion can cause the guitar to resonate and the semihollow design accentuates that. cover the hole up or toss a rag inside the cavity, should take care of it

the ART100 isnt a semi hollow.

Its just feedback and resonance. Get a little further from the amp and turn it down.
My headphones are in. When I touch the strings that are making noise I can feel them vibrating
that is just sustain. Mahogany body guitars especially les paul styles tend to have a lot of sustain.
this is something that happens on all guitars. You have to mute the strings you don't want to ring out with either/both your left and right hand.
Quote by Ibbod0
this is something that happens on all guitars. You have to mute the strings you don't want to ring out with either/both your left and right hand.

So I have to constantly be muting the strings that I'm not playing?

Riffs like this sound bad. This one is from Like Light to Flies
E|-------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------|
A|-10--8--7--5--7-8-10--8--7--12--10-8-|
D|---00-00-00-00-0-0--00-00-00--00--0-0|
pm .. .. .. .. . . .. .. .. .. . .

The open string notes overpower the higher ones so they're really quiet. I just noticed is says to palm mute them. I was trying that before. To do that do I rest my right hand on the 6th string so it makes a chugging sound?
Last edited by LeeAlacoque at Jan 11, 2012,
yes. Put your hand slightly on the strings at the bridge and pick. If the a string isnt palm muted then you need to alternate between palm muting and open playing.
If the low notes are smothering the notes on the A maybe roll back the bass and boost the mid on your amp until they're clearer.
I'm trying the Like Light to the Flies riff with the palm muting but one of the higher strings keeps squealing. How do I mute those ones when my right hand is muting the 6th and my left hand is playing the notes on the 5th?

My old guitar had really bad sustain so I haven't had to deal with any of this before
Barre the strings with your index finger.
Maybe use a scrunchie or sock loosely around the first fret to kill the sympathetic vibrations.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 11, 2012,
So basically you use your right hand to palm mute all the lower strings and keep your left index finger flat to mute higher strings?
I'll sometimes use the pinky on my right hand to mute strings that ring really bad.

Edit: actually for chunky powerchords I use my left hand then when I'm playing shit on them real higher up strings I use my right hand.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Jan 11, 2012,